Old Speck ME current conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but I'd expect snow on the Old Speck trail (it's north-facing). The (southwestern half) Grafton Loop trail should have less snow, but it's long. I bet Success Pond Rd is closed, so that rules out an approach via Speck Pond trail unless you love really long road walks. You weren't considering the full Mahoosuc Trail approach, were you?

You're thinking of the Old Speck trail, which is the section of AT from (0.3 miles below) Old Speck's summit to Grafton Notch. (There's also a variation called the Eyebrow trail that shares the Grafton Notch trailhead and rejoins the AT after a bit over a mile.)

Old Speck conitions

We hiked Old Speck 4/25 last year and found deep snow for a good part of the hike. There was no snow at TH. We were very glad we carried snow shoes and used them. We met many people without them who were fooled by the spring conditions present at their home towns and at the TH. However this year was something of a low snow year so your results may vary.

Drove by on the way to East B Hill rd to hike Dunns Notch on Sunday! Looked like a little snow up high still! The conditions in the surrounding area (Dunns Notch) were sweltering hot and bone dry in the woods! I have found foot deep snow on Goose Eye ( just south of Old Speck) on Memorial Day weekend though so you never know! It was 82 degrees in the notch on Sunday! Too hot for me with no canopy of leaves for shade relief!

While doing a hike on Saturday May 1st we saw a car with Quebec plates parked at the Austin Brook Trailhead with a large note in the window indicating that the hiker(s) were hiking the AT to Rt 26. I expect their trail report would be interesting given the current snow conditions.

I ended up doing this hike on Sunday May 2 and posted conditions here and over on New England Trail Conditions as well. Could have bare booted the whole way, wore snow shoes for part of the descent.

Update?

Thinking about hiking near there over Mem Day W/e. Snow still a problem??

While doing a hike on Saturday May 1st we saw a car with Quebec plates parked at the Austin Brook Trailhead with a large note in the window indicating that the hiker(s) were hiking the AT to Rt 26. I expect their trail report would be interesting given the current snow conditions.

I cannot fathom trying to get through Mahoosuc Notch this early in the year. I hope they're prepared!

Regarding Old Spec trails from Grafton Notch:

In addition to the AT, My Topo (per pealbagger.com) shows a path from the Notch to the summit that climbs along a creek in the valley to the east of the AT. This trail is NOT on the AMC map. Is it really there?? and if so, what condition??

I believe that's the abandoned East Spur trail. It's mentioned in the 27th ed. of the WMG, not sure about newer editions.

The AMC Maine Guide (2005) mentions an unmaintained Link Trail, but describes this trail meeting the AT N of the Mahoosuc Trail, and not very near the summit as the trail on Peakbagger does. Could be, or not.

Nevertheless, it hasn't been maintained for at least 5 years (publishing date of my Guide). Anyone know anything about its (the mystery summit trail to Rt 26) condition??