The Magnificent Belknaps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
4/23/10

Having discovered Mt. Major and its magnificent views, we decided to see what else the Belknaps had to offer.

We passed by the Gilford public library to buy a map and off we went. We started by heading to the Gunstock recreation area and headed up Mt. Rowe. After passing by the FM transmitter tower, we headed into the woods and came out on some ledges with some great views.

007-4.jpg

We continued on from there and came to the top of the Gunstock ski slopes again with more magnificent views. Here we are looking back down on Mt. Rowe and its communications tower.

009-2.jpg

From the top of Gunstock we headed down a ways and found the trail entering into the woods and we headed over to Belknap Mt. with its fire tower. It was here that we met the Fire Warden, VFTT's own Trialwrightbratt.

013-3.jpg

From Belknap we took the boulder trail over to Round Pond. What a gem. This is the largest and most beautiful lake that I've seen at altitude here in New Hampshire.

001-3.jpg

We had gotten off to a late start and were running a bit late so after hanging out at the Pond for a while we headed back to the car with the intention of returning the next week which we did. To be continued a week later.

On Friday April 30 we returned to Round Pond by coming up the East Gilford trail to Round Pond and we continued our exploration. From Round Pond we headed up Mt. Klem. As we neared the summit there were numerous ledges with some great views which we both enjoyed.

007-5.jpg

Nearing the summit we passed by this tree. The memorials brought back some memories that chocked me up a bit. We paused a moment then continued on.

010-4.jpg

Again just below the summit there were some great views of the lake.

009-3.jpg

From Mt. Klem we took the Quarry trail over Mt. Rand and up to the summit of West quarry Mt. The trail had an interesting feature I have rarely seen. There were occasional maps, and information notes posted on some trees.

011-3.jpg

On the side of West Quarry we stopped for a while and poked around the old stone quarry (circa 1800s). A note there mentioned that quarried stone was used to make cobble stones for the streets of Laconia.

016-3.jpg

After summiting West Quarry we retraced our steps back to the top of Mt. Klem and then took the trail over to Mt. Mack. On the way over again we crossed some open ledges with great views.

021-3.jpg

On the top of Mt. Mack we were treated to views of the old windmill and the communication tower.

025-1.jpg

Lauky enjoyed the views down into the valley.

031-2.jpg

From Mt. Mack we took an old service road back to Round Pond passing through a beautiful camping area.

032.jpg

From there we headed back to the car. But our exploration is to be continued. There are yet more mountains to discover. While some of you have been fighting with the monorails and so forth we have been having a magnificent time in the Belknaps.

This is great

Thanks Ed for this great (to be continued...) trip report. I have just recently been introduced to the Belknap range (Whiteface & Piper) and am now anxious to get back there. Looking forward to your next installment.

We just finished the Belknap Range yesterday. We did it in two hikes. It really has alot to offer. I would have to say buying the map at the library is important. At times the trails become very hard to follow. The blazes change colors at will. The trails sometimes are not well marked and become a maze. Also, watch out for ticks. We encountered several yesterday.

Sweet. What did you think of the Quarry area. I bypassed that last month. Round Pond looks as beautiful as I had imagined.

grouseking

The Quarry was fascinating. When I was in the Gilford Public Library buying a map, I met a fellow there who was studying the maps. He claimed there is gold in those mountains and one area he was going to check was the old quarry.

When I first started exploring the Belknaps I really didn't know what I was doing and the only map I had was something I had found on line. Because of that I've improvised a bit and changed my route on the fly. It's been a lot of fun although because the way I've been doing it, it is taking me few extra trips to get everything done. I've really enjoyed the exploration thus far. And Round Pond is an absolute gem. It's hard to believe that a pond/lake of that size and beauty can actually exist up there.

I have been up there a couple of times so far this spring and plan a couple more. I love the total lack of people seen after getting back into the woods. A couple of weeks ago I did around 12 miles and only saw people when hitting the Mt. Major summit and on the descent. You can spend a long day in the woods alone, with nice views, and varied terrain and woods.

Pretty good trail running stuff too for the most part......

Believing the forecast for a beautiful day on Wednesday (which it was) we headed out to Gunstock Rec and took the brook trail up to gunstock, then we crossed over up to Belknap, talked for awhile with TrailwrightBratt who was manning the tower. If you have a chance to meet him, you should, as he has loads of good info.He talked us into visiting Piper ,whose bare false summit was visible from the tower.That was a worthwhile trip, as the views from there are terrific, and there are great stone seats to enjoy them from.
We returned by way of belknap coll and down the overlook trail which was still a little rough from the winter's devastation.Just seconding (or thirding) how there are great hikes in the Belknaps
And yes, a real good map s needed badly

Last edited:
I have been up there a couple of times so far this spring and plan a couple more. I love the total lack of people seen after getting back into the woods. A couple of weeks ago I did around 12 miles and only saw people when hitting the Mt. Major summit and on the descent. You can spend a long day in the woods alone, with nice views, and varied terrain and woods.

I agree, there is a lot of solitude out there. Interestingly though, I did meet a fellow geocaching on the W. Quarry side of Mt. Rand. He gave me some good beta on the old tote road that comes up through there.

Just before running into him I also met a couple on the other side of Rand coming in the opposite direction and we both said the same thing at the same time: 'Wow, I didn't expect to meet anyone out here.'

Believing the forecast for a beautiful day on Wednesday (which it was) we headed out to Gunstock Rec and took the brook trail up to gunstock, then we crossed over up to Belknap, talked for awhile with TrailwrightBratt who was manning the tower. If you have a chance to meet him, you should, as he has loads of good info.

Yah, we did talk with Trailwrightbratt. In fact he yelled down to us and said: "Are you Ed?" He had recognized Lauky. We may pay him another visit before too long.

A couple of weeks ago I did around 12 miles and only saw people when hitting the Mt. Major summit and on the descent.

Mt. Major is the one place where you can be sure to see people. I did a report on that section a few weeks ago. Here is a link to those pictures: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35552.

Not always :) (shhhh)

I'll agree with that. I went up there one absolutely beautiful bluebird winter Saturday morning in Feb 2009. Started up around 9 am. Don't remember what time I got to the summit. Passed a couple of people heading down, but got to the summit and had it completely to myself for a solid 20 minutes before I started heading down. Didn't run into anyone until almost the Brook Trail junction, at which point, I was running into people heading up right and left. The summit wouldn't be empty for very long, that was for sure.

That was the only time I've ever been up there when there weren't at least 20 others up there, but it can happen, albeit rarely and especially not on a bluebird day.