Cool Stuff Hidden in the Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonlegit

Reaction score
Just recently i have gotten the bug to find some more cool stuff hidden in the northeast. David Metsky is probably the one to thank since his Moosilauke report with the B-18 crash refrence and subsequent explanation got me going. Since then, i have looked into a couple of ghost towns in VT, and would love it if anyone here has anything else that they might want to divulge to me. I am planning on going up to see the ghost town and the B-18 crash sometime soon. Stuff like this, along with new england lost ski areas is just too cool.

I was looking at "Adirondack Life" at supermarket checkout. Inside they had a map of Adirondacks with locations of plane crashes.

Here is what i have found so far in terms of interesting stuff in the Northeast.

New England Lost Ski Areas Project - A really cool site with about 500 or more different abondoned ski places. Some small, some not so small. Look into Mittersill, on Cannon Mountain :D

Ghost Towns...Tahawus - Here is one of the best looking ghost towns i have found info for in the northeast. My freind has a cabin nearby so we should be able to explore it sometime soon. If im not mistaken, we do have a member here whose name is Tahawus, correct?

David Metsky's page on the B-18 crash

Another site on the B-18

All cool stuff!

The DC-3 crash on Mt Success in the Mahoosucs is a nice day trip, even if you dont find the plane, its a nice day hike from Success Pond Road. If you need more info let me know.

You can find remnants of the old Marble Mountain Ski Area along the Wilmington trail on Whiteface Mtn (NY), including a toboggan shelter right on the trail.

Like Rivet said, check out the recent Adirondack Life issue for maps of plane crashes. The engine from the Wright Mt plane crash is attached.

Many of the current trails follow old logging roads. Check out this site for locations of these roads and the camps along them:
http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm
I've found old building foundations, logging equipment, metal cans, etc. at these former camps.

Just got back from Colorado, there were abandoned mines, mine shacks, log barns, and homesteads all over the place.

There was a treasure hidden in the Whites back in the Revolutionary War days but I'm not saying where.

Berlin Mt

Legit, I know that you visit the Greylock area so you may be interested in the plane wreck at the top of the Old WmsCollege Ski area (Berlin Mt). :cool:

There are bunch of plane wrecks in the Catskills. Someone from the 3500 yahoogroup site had made a list of most of them. If intrested you may want to do a search on that. Thats what I love about hiking hiking in the Northeast. There is a ton of history all around, even when you think you are in the middle of nowhere. Even here in NJ there is a few plane wrecks. Check this site out http://www.weirdnj.com/

There is a famous deserted town in Northwestern CT, Dudleytown. I think the last time it was inhabited was in the 1920's. It is in Cornwall Bridge nestled among three low mountains. Hiking is allowed but not after dark.

The place is allegedly haunted. I have heard stories about it and I have also heard the legends debunked. I haven't been myself, if I am going hiking I am going to the whites.

Dogtown near Gloucester, MA is an old abandoned town from the 1800's. The only thing there now are some foundations, however you can also find numerous boulders with different messages on them in the same area. I don't remember the whole story, but basically a rich entrepenur wanted to put people to work during the depression and he hired folks to carve "Save" "Study" and other messages into boulders.

Dudleysville is not too far away from me. There is a property association, and the homeowners are frequently troubled by people walking around looking for thrills/chills/ and the rest of the beer.

The cops are up there alot (per my trooper friend Bruce) and its a real hassle for the owners, who have the ability to close the trails up there (usually around Halloween).

So I would avoid it.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine gave me the URL to a site that I believe was called Ghosttowns USA, or something similar. It was very interesting, and it surprised me how many ghosttowns there are in the Northeast. I expected most of them to be out West. I'll see him tomorrow and get the address from him.

I enjoy walking through the woods of Berkshire County, and finding old foundations, grist and sawmill sites,etc., that are out in the middle of nowhere. I have a copy of the Beer's Atlas of 1876, and it shows these old roads, where the buildings where, and who the owner was. It's really quite fascinating.

You might want to get in touch with MAVS00. I think at one point he was compiling a record of plane crash sites in the ADKs.

Beer's Atlas 1876

Hi Masshysteria!
I am curious where I might be able to get a copy of this altas. Old roads are fun to travel. Is the atlas for MA only?
Thanks,
Inge:)

Hogtown and Dacy Clearing -- ADKs

In the southeastern Adirondacks there is a whole network of trails east of Lake George. There's a lot of history in the area: carriage trails that served old hotels, cellar holes, interesting cemeteries, lone gravestones along the side of a road, a couple of chimneys still standing.

From NY 149, take Buttermilk Falls Rd. to Sly Pond Road to the NYS/DEC Hogtown Trailhead. McMartin's book on the Eastern Adirondacks has info.

We also once visited the Penfield Museum in Ironville (north of the road from Paradox to Ticonderoga). This was very interesting and we also traveled some neat dirt roads in the area. There were a number of hiking opportunities.

One more place with old foundations, hiking trails, and dirt roads is Padanarum Rd. and the old Alma Farm area north of Bolton Landing. The Bolton Historical Society in Bolton Landing has a brochure with info and suggested drives and hikes.

Pat T