Quick reality test - Bike ride from 19 Mile Brook Trail Head to Lot at Glen Ellis?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedxing

Reaction score
A friend of mine needs the Wildcats to finish his 48. We both prefer to do the loop and drive from Boston together (19 mile brook and Glen Ellis - it would definitely make it easier to add Carter, which my dog needs!). Referring to my increasingly addled memory, I think the downhill ride between trailheads would be pretty easy. This seems like a no brainer - but I keep wondering if I am forgetting something and imagine my friend with tired legs regretting ever listening to me. Since our scheduling is pretty loose (1st decent day next week that we can both slip away for) it would be hard to coordinate with others in order to get another car involved.

Last edited:
it wouldnt be all downhill as you would be going uphill from 19 mile, but once you get to the auto road it should be easy, overall its an easy ride.

Thanks for the reality test. Now I'm looking at a better map and thinking, perhaps the opposite direction would be better?

19 Mile Brook TH is about 500' lower than Glen Ellis.

If I were doing it, I'd leave my bike at Pinkham, start at 19 Mile, and come off the Wildcats via the Polecat ski trail. As one of you cools his feet (along with your dog) in the brook by the ski lodge, the other can walk across the road to Pinkham, get the bike and ride downhill to 19 Mile. Just my 2 cents.

19 Mile Brook TH is about 500' lower than Glen Ellis.

If I were doing it, I'd leave my bike at Pinkham, start at 19 Mile, and come off the Wildcats via the Polecat ski trail. As one of you cools his feet (along with your dog) in the brook by the ski lodge, the other can walk across the road to Pinkham, get the bike and ride downhill to 19 Mile. Just my 2 cents.

Amen to that option...

I've ridden 16 from Pinkham to Gorham and back, and IIRC it's easier going from Pinkham to 19 mile. Going in the other direction the climb is more or less relentless until you reach the Wildcat parking lot. Not a hard climb (the section North of the auto road can be a grind) but it's still uphill.

You could also do your swap in the morning - drop friend, dog, and packs at 19 mile and take the car with bike to Pinkham, then ride bike to 19 mile and begin your day. This has the added benefit of not leaving your car in the notoriously break-in prone 19 mile lot.

Thanks for the input and the ideas. I'll definitely relay the info and Kevin and Smitty's suggestions.

I did the Wildcats this way - and came down the Wildcat Ridge Trail back to my car at Pinkham. This was a challenge for sure - but I didn't want to use Polecat at the time. If you don't mind Polecat, then you can almost coast from PNVC to 19MBT on the bike.

I also did Carters-Moriah by parking at Stony Brook and riding uphill to 19MBT... again, why leave the car at 19MBT - a notorious smash-and-grab lot?

Tim

I hike solo most of the time, so when I do shuttle hikes that require a car spot, I thumb a lift back to my car.

Maybe start your hike at Pinkham, do Lost Pond to Wildcats, then down 19MBT. Then one of you hitch back to PNVC to get the car (better for just one of you to hitch; almost zero chance of two guys and a dog getting picked up).

If I were doing it, I'd leave my bike at Pinkham, start at 19 Mile, and come off the Wildcats via the Polecat ski trail.
Polecat is definitely easier, it just depends on whether you want a real trail.

Instead on 19MB, I'd start at Great Glen Trails and use Aqueduct Loop (Path on USGS), no fee for walking in summer. I think this is a nicer trail with less elevation gain and no parking hassles.
http://www.greatglentrails.com/files/file/TrailsInterior/greatglentrailsmap.pdf