Camelbak in-line water filters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
While Steripens, MSR and Katadyn products, and chemicals are all popular for treating water, these are all practical for those who use water bottles vs. hydration bladders. For those who prefer bladders such as Camelbak, does anyone use and can comment on the Camelbak inline filter that filters water in the bladder before drinking it?

As a second option, does anyone use a regular pump filter and the $7 Camelbak device that inserts in the bite valve to pump clean water back into the bladder?

If neither of these, any other suggestions for bladder users and filters vs. chemicals. I have used the "Hiker" for years but do not like the cross-contamination risk of having two hoses. Want to avoid using bottles as part of the process as well.

Last edited:
...I have used the "Hiker" for years but do not like the cross-contamination risk of having two hoses. Want to avoid using bottles as part of the process as well.
I use the Hiker as well, and keep the output hose & adapter in it's own Ziplock to help keep it clean.

While I'm interested in feedback on the inline filter, I have an inherent bias against putting "dirty" water into my reservoir.

If one uses any pumping filter and runs the clean water outflow tube inside a hydration bladder without a large stopper, I suppose there is risk of contaminated water running along the outside of the tube and into the bladder. But a screw in top for the bladder can not be found by my search.

If one uses any pumping filter and runs the clean water outflow tube inside a hydration bladder without a large stopper, I suppose there is risk of contaminated water running along the outside of the tube and into the bladder. But a screw in top for the bladder can not be found by my search.

When I carry a filter, I usually carry an empty Nalgene liter bottle as well, and filter the water into the Nalgene, then pour it into the bladder.

That will work. Thanks.

But then I'll end up having to ponder the UV pens as well.

The MSR Dromedary bladders have (Nalgene wide-mouth compatible) screw-on caps. The MSR MiniWorks filter can fit this thread. There are also fittings for plastic tubing.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=MSR+bladder&button.x=0&button.y=0

Doug

As a second option, does anyone use a regular pump filter and the $7 Camelbak device that inserts in the bite valve to pump clean water back into the bladder?

I have a Hiker Pro that I use with a quick-disconnect at the bite valve. It works well, however I sometimes worry about over-filling.

I only carry the filter on multi-day backpacking trips.

-Steve

I have also recently seen water flow meters that can be installed on the drinking line of a hydration pack. it's a little digital widget that measures how much water has been drunk.

Anybody used it? is it actually accurate?
I often have trouble gauging how much water is in my hydration bladder, so it might come in handy.

I use the Pro Hiker which connects directly inline to my water bladder. I have a shut off valve between the connector and the bladder that prevents water from squirting out when it is full...a full pack and a pumped up bladder produces some pressure. If you don't have the shutoff you can just kink the hose.

I filled my bladder as full as I felt comfortable while counting tthe number of pumps. I know that 150 pumps fills the bladder. If I still have some water left I'll pump 100 or 125 using the sloshing method (i.e. slosh it around....does it feel half full?). Usually I can time my water runout to be near a water source, so I go until empty to make it easy.

Camelbak makes a filter adapter called the Hydrolink. I have one end installed on my Camelbak and the other end on the output hose of my Katadyn filter. It works perfectly. When I'm not using my Camelbak there is no need to remove the part from the output hose. It works perfectly with normal 1 liter bottles.

I use the Hiker Pro right to the bite valve end of the tube. If there is not any air in the bladder then it will let you know it is full. Plus, with time, you can count how many pump strokes it takes to fill it. I know from experience that an empty 23C tube/tire on the bike takes ~22 pumps with my floor pump to hit 110PSI.

Tim

I didn't know they made an adapter. I've been using a short piece (about 1 1/4") of 1/4" copper tubing jammed in the hose end.

I had never considered the use on an in-line filter on a bladder system before, but this is a wonderful idea. Your thread got me to looking around and reading about this topic. The Sawyer in-line filter appears to be a popular solution, however, some folks have reported that you have to suck hard to get the water through the filter after a while. Here is a link to the product I am referencing:

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/SP121.htm