Early June in Baxter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Another quickie (question that is ;))

Want to hit Hamlin/Howe with an overnight at Abol 1st week in June. What is the usual snow/ice/water situation on the AT (Abol Slide I think) and then the tablelands/hamlin trails to those two peaks?

Thanks.

on the AT (Abol Slide I think)

If you are looking to climb Katahdin via the AT (Hunt Trail), you may wanna look into Katahdin Stream CG. But, if it is the Abol Slide route you wanted, then Abol CG is the ticket. I hear Abol is a great slide climb and I can say from experience that the Hunt Trail is absolutely fantastic. Can't loose with either I guess, just decide if you want a slide or ridge climb.

Bring lots of bug dope and have fun!!!

If you don't get a campsite at Abol for the day of your desired hike, I would wait and see if the DUPR parking passes for Abol are down to 5 and then get one, to make sure you get to do your hike on a nice day. As for conditions, I climbed the Abol slide in dismal conditions in August, so as far as snow being a factor can't help with your question. But in past years because the sun beats down on the open slide, thus generally the Abol Slide Trail opens before the Hunt Trail in the spring for climbers of Katahdin. Some southbounders start out using the Abol slide trail vs the AT (Hunt) for their journey southbound.

Can my cousin, a ME resident, get a park/camp pass for me, or must he be there to present it at the security check??

For a DUPR they ask for your registration. So I would say no, because your NJ reg would not match. Unless you borrow his car en route. I don't know about campsite reservation if you can get away with exchanging with someone who lives in Maine.

obviously, check the website for updates on trail openings.

But, generally speaking, Katahdin and surrounding peaks usually open around Memorial Day weekend, or early June.

snow levels were low enough in BSP this Winter for Donna to reach Coe ... it was like a freak of nature :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Hey, I just read this! Are you kidding me? The snow was the worst it's ever been. arm, you're crazy!:p

Reactions: arm
Trail conditions as of 5-17

just checked the web site

"Katahdin Trails and the Traveler Loop were checked by a Ranger on 5/17 are not open at this time due to snow and ice above timberline. All trails except Katahdin and Traveler Trails are open. Expect to find numerous blow downs on all hiking trails at this time. The Park Tote Road is now open all the way through the Park and the Roaring Brook Road is open to Roaring Brook Campground. All Campgrounds in the Park except Chimney Pond are open.
Current as of 5/17/2010."