Recommended GPS?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a GPS device for hiking that would show trails, track distance hiked, elevation changes, altitude, etc... Something that could spit out cool stats and maps on my computer of the hike when i am done. Anybody have any recommendations on what they use and what is good? I was looking somewhere in the $150-$300 range but would spend more if there was some model that I absolutely "needed".

Long "all sorts of research" answer: search Views for the times this has been asked before.

Short recommendation: buy the GPSMap 76CSx, 60CSx, the new 78s, or wait for the rumored 62s.

Last edited:
I'll second jniehof - the old 60csx does just what you are looking for, has a long battery life, and almost never loses reception. You'll need the Garmin topo software, though, which will set you back another $100 or so.

Unless you choose to use the free maps. The MapSource program (plus base map) comes in the box.
I would agree that the free NH map is excellent. However, if you use your GPS in other states ... not so good. For example, the CA map freebie is good - unless you need labels (and most of us do) as it doesn't have any. There may be other examples as well.

So, if you hike in multiple states, then I think sooner or later you end up buying it.

Unless you choose to use the free maps. The MapSource program (plus base map) comes in the box.
I have checked out the New England map. IMO, it is not as good as the Garmin topo. Haven't checked the NH topo.

As Kevin notes, the free maps vary in quality. (But no map is perfect.)

I second jneihof's advice. The 78 series looks like a nice upgrade from the 76 series, but I haven't seen any knowledgeable user reviews yet. It will be interesting to see if a 62 series is offered. (The 60's and the 76's are the same GPSes in different packages, presumably the same would apply for the 78's and the rumored 62's.)

You can save a bit of money by buying a non-sensor version, eg the 60Cx, 76Cx, or 78. (The senors are a magnetic compass and a barometric altimeter.) The 76's (and possibly the 60's) are likely to be discontinued soon and prices may drop (and then perhaps rise as they become scarce).

Doug

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting a GPS device for hiking that would show trails, track distance hiked, elevation changes, altitude, etc... Something that could spit out cool stats and maps on my computer of the hike when i am done. Anybody have any recommendations on what they use and what is good? I was looking somewhere in the $150-$300 range but would spend more if there was some model that I absolutely "needed".

Buy what sounds good to you now. It will only be a matter of time before you'll want another one. :)

Garmin 60CSx does it for me. Never lost a signal on any of the NH48 hikes. Batteries last a weekend of hiking. You can read the screen in the bright sun (unlike cell phones). I had mine for 2 years and its been on every hike with me in all seasons, not a single problem. It has been dropped, frozen, soaked in the rain and it keeps on ticking. It has helped me many times stay on trail in winter (by following a summer track) when the trail is no where to be seen.

And no I don't work for Garmin... just a happy customer. :D

I picked up a 76CSx off of my local Craigslist for $100 and the guy had bought an extra map on a chip for it. So, bargains are out there if you look. I got a free CA map from www.gpsfiledepot.com

I think the 76 and 60 are similar. The 76 is a bit bulky and has a marine feature on it I'm unlikely to use (a man overboard button) but I couldn't beat the price. Mine has the compass and altimeter.

Thats a real bargain. If you paddle, the 76 floats.

If reports of new Garmin models develop, there will be many 60 and 76 CSx units on deep discount in coming months.

I think the 76 and 60 are similar. The 76 is a bit bulky and has a marine feature on it I'm unlikely to use (a man overboard button) but I couldn't beat the price. Mine has the compass and altimeter.
The 76CSx and 76Cx are electrically identical to the 60CSx and 60Cx--only the cases and button positions differ.

Whether you prefer buttons above the display or buttons below the display is purely personal preference.

Doug

Thanks for all the responses. I believe i am going to go with the 76 csx from Garmin. I found it on Amazon for a little over 50% off the MSRP, so it was around $300 with a bunch of little add ons. I believe that my wonderful girlfriend is picking it up for my bday in 6 more days. I might have to keep this one...(girlfriend and gps)

The rumored Garmin GPSMAP 62 series has just been announced. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145 A very quick comparison suggests that it has the same (or at least very similar) specs to the GPSMAP 78 series.

It appears to be an improvement over the 60Cx/60CSx. (Similarly, the 78 series is an improvement over the 76Cx/76CSx.)

Doug

Last edited:
I got my little brother a Magellan eXplorist 200 on sale for $30 at Sports Authority a couple days ago. It seems to do all the basic stuff. Check for clearance sales of last year's models.

"The best just got better" (Garmin 62 claims?)

The rumored Garmin GPSMAP 62 series has just been announced. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145 A very quick comparison suggests that it has the same (or at least very similar) specs to the GPSMAP 78 series.

It appears to be an improvement over the 60Cx/60CSx. (Similarly, the 78 series is an improvement over the 76Cx/76CSx.)

Doug

As the holidays approach I thought I'd bump this thread. I'm finally ready to upgrade from my eTrex and am wondering if there is anything worth looking at that we may not have seen before. How might the new 62 compare to the Colorado ? Thanks. (I appreciate the knowledge/experience/input and understand there may be nothing really new to discuss, just don't want old tech again.)

As the holidays approach I thought I'd bump this thread. I'm finally ready to upgrade from my eTrex and am wondering if there is anything worth looking at that we may not have seen before. How might the new 62 compare to the Colorado ? Thanks. (I appreciate the knowledge/experience/input and understand there may be nothing really new to discuss, just don't want old tech again.)
The Colorado has a much panned user interface and has been discontinued. I wouldn't get one.

The 62 appears to be the electronics of an Oregon with a button interface rather than a touch-screen interface. The non-touch screen is more readable than a touch screen in certain conditions.

"Inside" info on the 62: http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-gpsmap-62/

FWIW, IMO the button interface is better than the touch screen for use in the woods. (Think of dirt on the screen, screen abrasion, and the need to use gloves or mittens.)

Performance-wise, the reports suggest the 62 series to perform at least as well as the 60 series.

Doug

I'm finally ready to upgrade from my eTrex and am wondering if there is anything worth looking at that we may not have seen before.

I'm also looking to start learning about GPSes, so this is good to see. What is bad about the eTrex that you have, or what do you want to upgrade? In my quick look at the various models, the Vista HCx seemed to have what I was looking for (tracking my route, visual map, following waypoints, making waypoints, storing them to a mini sd card), but I don't have any experience using these things.

I'm also looking to start learning about GPSes, so this is good to see. What is bad about the eTrex that you have, or what do you want to upgrade? In my quick look at the various models, the Vista HCx seemed to have what I was looking for (tracking my route, visual map, following waypoints, making waypoints, storing them to a mini sd card), but I don't have any experience using these things.
There are a number of eTrex models--the older ones have significantly poorer reception under reduced skyview conditions.

Don't even consider any model which is not a modern "high-sensitivity" unit. (The eTrex Vista HCx is ok, but doesn't have as many features as the 60CSx, 76CSx, 62s, and 78s.)

There are a number of threads about choosing a GPS--I suggest you search for them.

Doug