Recommended GPS?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's my problem with my older eTrex: spotty reception at best.
My first GPS was the original eTrex Vista purchased in 2001. Good for its time, but the current units are dramatically better in a number of ways, including reception of weak signals in poor skyview conditions. The Vista would usually lose lock when under tree cover, my 60CSx almost never loses lock.

Doug

Okay, good to know. I looked through some of the older posts on the GPS threads, and it sounds like not many people use anything other than the 60CSx. Doug, in an older post you did mention that the eTrex models with H (high sensitivity antenna), C (map sets) and x (memory card, I think) are okay. The Vista HCx fits those criteria. Do you have any experience with the newer etrex models like that? I'm looking at specs for the 60 CSx and the Vista HCx on the Garmin website, and they seem to be practically identical.

Okay, good to know. I looked through some of the older posts on the GPS threads, and it sounds like not many people use anything other than the 60CSx. Doug, in an older post you did mention that the eTrex models with H (high sensitivity antenna), C (map sets) and x (memory card, I think) are okay.
C denotes color. Unfortunately, Garmin's letter scheme is not consistent across all models, so one should still check their website or other reviews to get the details.

The Vista HCx fits those criteria. Do you have any experience with the newer etrex models like that? I'm looking at specs for the 60 CSx and the Vista HCx on the Garmin website, and they seem to be practically identical.
I haven't used the eTrex Vista HCx. (I have an original eTrex Vista, a 60CS (non-high sensitivity), and a 60CSx (the first high sensitivity unit and still the landmark by which others are measured.)

The feature lists on the Garmin website miss a lot of the details--you may have to read the manuals (available from the website), read reviews, and/or read some of the GPS-oriented websites to get the missing details. The specs of the basic GPSes within the HCx and 60CSx are pretty similar, although they use different GPS chipsets (? for the HCx and SiRF Star III for the 60CSx). However, there are some sizable differences in the feature sets. For instance, the 60CSx will take an external antenna, the Vista HCx will not. The antennas and their preferred orientations are also different.

Doug

I think the substantial advantages of the vista hcx over the 60 csx are 1) lighter and smaller and 2) longer battery life. For a hiking GPS, either of those can be important. the 60 csx may have slightly better GPS performance, but the vista hcx is good enough that it may not matter in real life situations (It won't lock in my office, but always has on the trail). I am not thrilled with the joystick interface on the vista, it works, but is awkward, and particularly tricky when biking. I also find that I regularly push buttons and the joy stick unintentionally, this doesn't matter or effect anything, but it does happen a lot.

If Garmin is coming out with a button interface 62, that would be worth a look. My guess is that the vista hcx will be much cheaper, in the $200 range.

I've gone through a similar learning curve as many others here. I also started with the Vista, then the 60cs and now I use the 60csx. I am very happy with the 60csx. Now that this unit has the high sensitivity to lock and stay locked (IMO the biggest problem with the older models.) and the availability to add large amounts of map data onto the chip, I have seen no need to get a newer model. I do not feel like I'm missing anything, yet. For those that are still sorting this out and are price conscious and feel that they would like to own a 60csx, check out EBay. The 60csx can be gotten for $260 new.

Does anyone here see any drawbacks to purchasing this older model?

I've gone through a similar learning curve as many others here. I also started with the Vista, then the 60cs and now I use the 60csx. I am very happy with the 60csx. Now that this unit has the high sensitivity to lock and stay locked (IMO the biggest problem with the older models.) and the availability to add large amounts of map data onto the chip, I have seen no need to get a newer model. I do not feel like I'm missing anything, yet. For those that are still sorting this out and are price conscious and feel that they would like to own a 60csx, check out EBay. The 60csx can be gotten for $260 new.

Does anyone here see any drawbacks to purchasing this older model?
IMO, the 60CSx has no fatal flaws. The 62s appears to be slightly better, but I feel no need to rush out and upgrade my 60CSx. If I didn't have the 60CSx and wanted a new/upgrade GPS, there is a good chance that I would get the 62s.

Doug

I think the substantial advantages of the vista hcx over the 60 csx are 1) lighter and smaller and 2) longer battery life. For a hiking GPS, either of those can be important. the 60 csx may have slightly better GPS performance, but the vista hcx is good enough that it may not matter in real life situations (It won't lock in my office, but always has on the trail). I am not thrilled with the joystick interface on the vista, it works, but is awkward, and particularly tricky when biking. I also find that I regularly push buttons and the joy stick unintentionally, this doesn't matter or effect anything, but it does happen a lot.
The differences in rated battery life are 18 vs 20 hours--not enough to be an issue, IMO. Either will run for a full day on a single set of batteries. (These numbers may include using battery-saver mode. I dis-recommend its use--it decreases the accuracy and increases the probability of losing lock.)

The display on the 60CSx is larger and has been highly praised for its visibility in both sunlight and by backlight. I don't know if the HCx is as good. (It might be worth comparing them side-by-side.)

Many joysticks became unreliable on the original eTrex Vistas, hopefully this has been fixed for the HCx.

The optimum orientation for the eTrex series is horizontal, the optimum orientation for the 60 series is vertical. While I try to position my 60CSx vertically in the top of my pack, I've had no problems if it has shifted into some random orientation. Hopefully the HCx is also sensitive enough that sub-optimal orientation doesn't cause any problems in the field.

My guess is that many if not most users will find the HCx to be adequate for most of their needs. (FWIW, the 60CSx came out well before the HCx, so the early adopters had only the 60Cx and 60CSx to choose from.) It would certainly be adequate for most of my needs, but there are times when I use features of the 60CSx that are not available on the HCx (eg external antenna).

If Garmin is coming out with a button interface 62, that would be worth a look. My guess is that the vista hcx will be much cheaper, in the $200 range.
The current MSRPs are Vista HCx: US$299.99, 60CSx: US$399.99, and the 62s: US$499.99. There is also the reduced feature 62 for US$349.99. (All MSRPs from the Garmin website.) We should also note that the 60CSx and HCx have been available for a number of years and are much more likely to be discounted, while the 62 series is new and discounts will be harder to find.

Doug

The differences in rated battery life are 18 vs 20 hours--not enough to be an issue, IMO. Either will run for a full day on a single set of batteries. (These numbers may include using battery-saver mode. I dis-recommend its use--it decreases the accuracy and increases the probability of losing lock.)

The vista is rated at 25 hours, so it is a significant difference. The vista battery life is exceptional, so it can run continuously over multiple days. The vista weighs 5.5 oz, and the 60 csx is 7.5, so also a significant difference. The 62st tips in at over 9 oz. Weight may not matter to some, but carrying 9+ oz of GPS is hard to justify most of the time.

I have been using the Garmin Vista HCx for about 2 years, and it is way better for reception than my previous Garmin 76CS.(couple generations difference)

I am not a fan of the joystick, and the screen seems smaller than my previous GPS. (I am too lazy to check) I actually prefer the form factor of the 76 series.....I am in the minority on this site though with that. But if you are buying a Garmin, and you want the best valued Garmin for money and features this is the best one in my opinion.

Just remember the base map that comes with the GPS's blow. And you will have to get a some 100k topo maps from Garmin.....Which do the job fine. The best bet is to get the bundle pack.(Just as an example)....or search around for deals on them separately....or you might have the maps already.

But the Vista HCx does all the basic things I like well.....Well except it does not have a delete VFTT member JayH button....Which maybe they will fix in a future firmware update.

The vista is rated at 25 hours,
You are correct. I rechecked--it appears that I incorrectly quoted the 20 hour rating from the 62s rather than the 25 hour rating for the HCx.

These ratings probably assume the use of battery saver mode--IMO a poor choice for serious use. And there are a number of other settings (eg backlights on all models and the compass on some models) that can affect the battery life. I have measured the current draw of my GPSes under known conditions to compare their battery lifetimes and the effects of various settings. (Of course, this requires that I have the GPS in hand to make the measurements.)

The vista weighs 5.5 oz, and the 60 csx is 7.5, The 62st tips in at over 9 oz.
The website gives the rated weight of the 62s/62st as 9.2 oz. However, I wonder about the accuracy of that number:
* The 60CSx and the 76CSx are essentially the same GPS in different packages and have the essentially the same weight (7.5 vs 7.7oz). The 62s and the 78s are also essentially the same GPS in different packages and the weights differ by 1.5oz? (9.2 vs 7.7oz).
* One can also make the comparison in the other direction: the 76CSx and 78s are essentially the same case with different electronics and have the same weight. The 60CSx and 62s are essentially the same case with similarly differing electronics but the weights differ by 1.7oz?
* The manual gives a weight of 7.8 oz.

Given that the manual states 7.8oz and the predictors suggest 7.7oz, I am inclined to suspect that 9.2oz is incorrect.

I'd like to see an independent measurement. (All of the above weights include 2AA alkaline batteries.)

Doug

Last edited:
I have a digital scale. My 60csx weighs 7.3 oz.

I have a digital scale. My 60csx weighs 7.3 oz.
Thanks--mine weighs 7.5 oz on my digital scale. (Small variations are to be expected due to variations in the GPS, batteries, and the scale.)

However, the 62s was the unit whose weight was at question...
Anyone have a 62s to weigh (with alkaline batteries in it)?

Doug

Last edited:
I think the Garmin 62 comes loaded with maps. Garmin 60 didn't. It was an extra for the CD full of them.

I think the Garmin 62 comes loaded with maps. Garmin 60 didn't. It was an extra for the CD full of them.
* Model 60: obsolete, non-high sensitivity, no color, no sensors, no microSD card
* Model 60CSx: sensors, microSD card, no maps
* Model 62: basic model, no sensors, no wireless data sharing, no microSD card, no maps
* Model 62s: all features, microSD card, no maps
* Model 62st: all features, microSD card, US topo maps

All have the basemap.
All this info and more can be found at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

IMO, the 62s plus separately purchased maps is a better choice than the 60st. If you buy the maps on CD-ROM/DVD you can use them on both your computer and your GPS. If the maps are unlocked (eg US Topo DVD) you can use them on any GPS which allows you to load your own maps.

Doug

When I bought my used 76CSx, the owner had bought an extra card for it and I got some free topo maps from www.gpsfiledepot.com

That site has a lot of free maps. I downloaded one of part of SoCal that I wanted, but they have many more covering much of the US. I was able to download the map, then using the Garmin software, upload the sectors I wanted onto the GPS card. Even for a novice like me, it wasn't too difficult.

For example, here is what they have for New Hampshire - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/nh
The forum members were very helpful in explaining to me some basics I didn't know and couldn't figure out from the book.

Last edited:
When I bought my used 76CSx, the owner had bought an extra card for it and I got some free topo maps from www.gpsfiledepot.com

That site has a lot of free maps. I downloaded one of part of SoCal that I wanted, but they have many more covering much of the US. I was able to download the map, then using the Garmin software, upload the sectors I wanted onto the GPS card. Even for a novice like me, it wasn't too difficult.

For example, here is what they have for New Hampshire - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/nh
The forum members were very helpful in explaining to me some basics I didn't know and couldn't figure out from the book.
That is a good source for free maps. However, the features shown and the quality vary--I suggest that you check each map before relying on it.

These maps require a running copy of MapSource to view and load into the GPS. If you don't have it, you can obtain and install it via the instructions in http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/

Doug