Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommended GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
    The vista is rated at 25 hours,
    You are correct. I rechecked--it appears that I incorrectly quoted the 20 hour rating from the 62s rather than the 25 hour rating for the HCx.

These ratings probably assume the use of battery saver mode--IMO a poor choice for serious use. And there are a number of other settings (eg backlights on all models and the compass on some models) that can affect the battery life. I have measured the current draw of my GPSes under known conditions to compare their battery lifetimes and the effects of various settings. (Of course, this requires that I have the GPS in hand to make the measurements.)

The vista weighs 5.5 oz, and the 60 csx is 7.5, The 62st tips in at over 9 oz.
    The website gives the rated weight of the 62s/62st as 9.2 oz. However, I wonder about the accuracy of that number:
    * The 60CSx and the 76CSx are essentially the same GPS in different packages and have the essentially the same weight (7.5 vs 7.7oz). The 62s and the 78s are also essentially the same GPS in different packages and the weights differ by 1.5oz? (9.2 vs 7.7oz).
    * One can also make the comparison in the other direction: the 76CSx and 78s are essentially the same case with different electronics and have the same weight. The 60CSx and 62s are essentially the same case with similarly differing electronics but the weights differ by 1.7oz?
    * The manual gives a weight of 7.8 oz.

Given that the manual states 7.8oz and the predictors suggest 7.7oz, I am inclined to suspect that 9.2oz is incorrect.

I'd like to see an independent measurement. (All of the above weights include 2AA alkaline batteries.)

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 10-21-2010 at 09:25 PM.

I have a digital scale. My 60csx weighs 7.3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by BF View Post
    I have a digital scale. My 60csx weighs 7.3 oz.
    Thanks--mine weighs 7.5 oz on my digital scale. (Small variations are to be expected due to variations in the GPS, batteries, and the scale.)

However, the 62s was the unit whose weight was at question...
    Anyone have a 62s to weigh (with alkaline batteries in it)?

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 10-21-2010 at 09:50 PM.

I think the Garmin 62 comes loaded with maps. Garmin 60 didn't. It was an extra for the CD full of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    I think the Garmin 62 comes loaded with maps. Garmin 60 didn't. It was an extra for the CD full of them.
    * Model 60: obsolete, non-high sensitivity, no color, no sensors, no microSD card
    * Model 60CSx: sensors, microSD card, no maps
    * Model 62: basic model, no sensors, no wireless data sharing, no microSD card, no maps
    * Model 62s: all features, microSD card, no maps
    * Model 62st: all features, microSD card, US topo maps

All have the basemap.
    All this info and more can be found at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

IMO, the 62s plus separately purchased maps is a better choice than the 60st. If you buy the maps on CD-ROM/DVD you can use them on both your computer and your GPS. If the maps are unlocked (eg US Topo DVD) you can use them on any GPS which allows you to load your own maps.

Doug

When I bought my used 76CSx, the owner had bought an extra card for it and I got some free topo maps from www.gpsfiledepot.com

That site has a lot of free maps. I downloaded one of part of SoCal that I wanted, but they have many more covering much of the US. I was able to download the map, then using the Garmin software, upload the sectors I wanted onto the GPS card. Even for a novice like me, it wasn't too difficult.

For example, here is what they have for New Hampshire - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/nh
    The forum members were very helpful in explaining to me some basics I didn't know and couldn't figure out from the book.
    Last edited by TomD; 10-24-2010 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    When I bought my used 76CSx, the owner had bought an extra card for it and I got some free topo maps from www.gpsfiledepot.com

That site has a lot of free maps. I downloaded one of part of SoCal that I wanted, but they have many more covering much of the US. I was able to download the map, then using the Garmin software, upload the sectors I wanted onto the GPS card. Even for a novice like me, it wasn't too difficult.

For example, here is what they have for New Hampshire - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/nh
    The forum members were very helpful in explaining to me some basics I didn't know and couldn't figure out from the book.
    That is a good source for free maps. However, the features shown and the quality vary--I suggest that you check each map before relying on it.

These maps require a running copy of MapSource to view and load into the GPS. If you don't have it, you can obtain and install it via the instructions in http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorial...with-your-gps/

Doug