Car camping in Adirondacks in May

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of the free primitive car camping sites will be be open (as they never close!)- as long as you are ok with limited facilities- a fireplace, picnic table, and outhouse at most, and just a cleared area with a fire pit at least. Some spots you can pull your car in to, others require you to park and walk a short distance.

Jones Pond and Mountain Pond in Paul Smith's both have primitive car camping. Mason Lake between Lewey Lake and Speculator does as well. There's some spots at the Cedar River Flow but the Moose River Plains is closed. There's also a few spots on Old Route 30 in the Speculator Tree Farm. You might also try some of the spots on Floodwood Road near Upper Saranac Lake.

A less crowded alternative to the above:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24494.html

Rollins gives you easy access to some very nice canoe day trips:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24494.html

Floodwood Pond Loop: 12-15 miles, 5 portages, 3-4 days. A justly popular loop, starting and ending at our Floodwood base. This trip starts with beautiful Fish Creek, and passes through Follensby Clear and Hoel Ponds before ending in the Canoe Area. A layover day in the Canoe Area allows a hike up Long Pond Mtn. Numerous campsites, great swimming, and an unusually good view from the mountain.

Fish Creek Ponds Loop: 6-12 miles, 4 portages, 1-2 days. A popular loop exploring 7 ponds and a delightful creek. A great 3 day trip with younger children. Start and end at our Floodwood Base.

St. Regis Ponds Loop: 35-40 miles, 10-14 portages, 4-5 days. This is a strenuous, remote trip with numerous ponds and a couple of small streams. It lies mostly within the wilderness area. Included are Floodwood Pond, Upper Saranac Lake, Hatchery Brook, St. Regis Pond and Fish Pond. This route starts and ends at our Floodwood Base.

They are kind of scattered along the road. I know for sure there is one right smack in the middle of the northern shoreline of Middle Pond. There are also some that are hidden at little ways down hiking/snowmobile trails in the area.

In general, your best bet would be to explore the area before you plan on staying there, and mark on a map where the best sites are for future reference. I also think that the paddling map also shows a lot of the sites.

There are lots of free primitive car camping sites and campgrounds available throughout the Adirondack Park, but their location and existence are not heavily advertised by the DEC.

I was never impressed with the sites along Floowdood Rd. They seemed somewhat over used but it has been 10 years since I have been driven down there and I never looked at them that closely. If free is what you are looking for I think the sites along Rt 421 leading to the put in for the Bog River are nicer. This is just south of Tupper Lake, and coming from the border crossing at Ogdensburg, just as close as Fish Creek/Rollins Pond. Excellent paddling in this area as well.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45359.html

Thanks to all who responded. We stayed overnight this past week at Fish Creek Pond. It was scenic, and the loons held a concert in our honor, but we're accustomed to more privacy. The sites are mostly right alongside the park road, with no vegetation screening from the road or between the sites. Not a bad spot to sleep overnight, but not a destination for us. We'll look into the other suggestions made here.

The road to South Meadows by the Loj should be open. No drive through traffic and you can always got farther into the woods.

Last edited: