Need Cabot Hike and Lodging Info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keeper

Reaction score
The weather looks a little wet this weekend, so we thought we'd hike Cabot.

Where is a good, inexpensive place to stay in the Gorham or Conway area?

What the easiest route to the summit that won't find me tormented by local property owners?

Can someone give me directions to the trailhead?

Regards,

Shawn

Hiker's Paradise in Gorham. $15 a night with adequate facilities. It's at the junction of Rts. 2 and 16.

to take the Bunnell Notch Trail:

Take Rt. 16 to Rt. 110 in Berlin. Bear left (kind of weaving through town) in Berlin onto 110 and head north towards West Milan.

After about (I stress ABOUT) 8 miles, take a left onto York Pond Rd. Take the fork to the right (after about 2 miles). Bear right to stay onto York Pond Rd. after a few more miles. The trailhead is about 2 miles past the fish hatchery gate.

maybe someone has more specific mileage, but it's pretty easy to get to. I wouldn't worry too much about the gate, but you might want to stop in at the hatchery when you pass through and let them know you are in there.

have fun!

spencer

I prefer the Mill Brook entrance (from the town of Stark) but I don't have the directions with me.

-dave-

The route from the York Pond Fish Hatchery Road is the Bunnell Notch trail. It is the most direct route to the summit of Cabot, (that is legally open) unfortunately it is also the wettest. as parts of the trail is a stream bed. The approach from the North via mill brook road is a lot longer day, it has the bonus of The Horn and the Bulge, but plan on a longer day. It also has some sections that could be wet.

If you do decide to do the Bunnel Notch trail, be aware that the first mile or so is minimally marked. It follows a fairly recent logging road and is really only marked at turns. Not really difficult to follow as there is a beaten footpath, but for those who expect frequent blazes it may be unnerving.

I did Cabot via Bunnell 6/16-17/04. I believe I did a Trip Report with specifics. If not, I at least posted Trail Conditions with some info on the 17th.

From what I remember...

Directions: I missed the turn for 110 in Berlin. I still have no clue where it is! Ended up going around 110B&A which bit the big one, giving us a late start.

This is all from memory, so I hope I get this right...In the hatchery, go straight where the buildings are. The parking lot is on the right. You walk out of the lot, turn right, and look for the trail sign on the left, leaving the hatchery road to walk down a logging road. The trail turns right on the logging road with a sign (at least there's a sign for the turnoff to York Pond Trail that I remember). Go straight up the logging road. There will be a logging road turn off on the left. This is NOT the left turn in the AMC guide. You can find a small stone cairn on the right side of the trail here in the weeds indicating that you continue straight. The logging road with curve left and become overgrown. This is also NOT the left indicated in the guide. Just after the left curve you go thru a tight section with thorns, then the sign for the left turn will be on your left, where you turn onto a footpath. The bootsucking mudhole mentioned below is five minutes in on this section.

Bunnell Notch Trail: New terms were invented along this trail to describe the conditions. None of these terms are fit to print. It's EXTREMELY muddy in spots. As in two foot deep pits (literally). And it's rained so much lately. But, there was only one spot where we couldn't find footing (at the very beginning of the footpath). Poles are a MUST for probing for footing. Give yourself extra time as well -- the quagmires exist almost to the junction with the Kilkenny Ridge Trail. Other than that :D, it's really not such a bad trail!

We went out the Unknown Pond Trail, which was MUCH better. There's even been so trail work done here to avoid the muddiest spots. I don't know what you agenda is, but this trail is a good option!

Please keep in mind that all this info is three month old. Who knows what's gone on up there since.

Good luck & happy hiking!

If you do a search in Trip Reports for "Cabot" with me as the author, you'll get a full report on the route up from Mill Brook Road via the Unknown Pond Trail to the Kilkenny Ridge Trail. This was a fine route with many side benefits (like the views from the Horn) and I highly recommend it.

As for getting there, Mill Brook Road is off Route 110 in Stark, which is off Route 3 in Groveton, north of Lancaster.

Periwinkle said:
I missed the turn for 110 in Berlin. I still have no clue where it is!

Yeah, I got lost in Berlin, too, coming and going...:(

I did Cabot from the north on Aug. 7. Mill Brook Rd. is pretty easy to find once you get through Berlin. The gate was open, so I drove through and parked by the trail near the bridge, shortening the hike by about a mile and a half. Others who hiked that day parked by the gate.

You said you were looking for places to stay in either Gorham or Conway. Conway is much farther away; Gorham is a better choice. Hiker's Paradise, already mentioned, is the best deal in town. I've also stayed at Royalty Inn, which has the advantage of being within very short walking distance of Mr. Pizza, Wilfred's, and the liquor store. :cool:

CMIIW, but I think this is a NASCAR weekend coming up. Depending on where you'te coming from and when you drive into the region, this could affect your driving time.

Steve

Last edited: