Big Daddy lives...2010!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a sighting of a great senior bull moose, who I call Big Daddy. Some may remember him. It's become a spring tradition to see Big Daddy each spring. I see him throughout spring and summer, but then he changes his ways before the hunt and I don't see him anymore until spring. I wait with anticipation to see if he's still with us.

I was hanging out at a bog when I heard a moose approach and when he appeared I identified him immediately by the single battle notch on the back side of his right ear. Yay!!! It's uplifting to see this great animal yet again. He stopped and checked me out and I talked to him for a moment, then he came strutting right toward me to until he was about 15' away. Just awesome :)

IMG_6282-copyaaa-1.jpg

IMG_6253-copyaaa.jpg

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Wow!....that's really cool.....nice to hear he survived for another year.....wonder if the younger bulls respect him or bully him.....

Your first image is fantastic! Great expression, posture and splash. Looks as though he is about to be up close and very personal with you. Nice job of holding your ground and holding the camera steady.

JohnL

I remember meeting you along the Kanc about a year ago when a number of cars had pulled over for a Big Daddy sighting. It's nice to see he's survived another winter. Thanks for posting the photos, which are excellent as always.

The ears have it

:eek:

You must have nerves of steel!

The ears reveal Big Daddy's attitude here. He's scoping things out and possibly suggesting it's time to move on, but not too worried about the situation.

Now, if the ears were laid back, it would be time to get the hell out of Dodge, or at least be ready to get out of the way when he comes. If he's coming, remember that a moose is much like a fullback -- accustomed to running over and through things, not juking around them like a wide receiver. Find a tree or large rock to duck behind, and leave the area when you can do so quickly and safely. A moose is unlikely to chase you very far if you are out of striking range.

Very cool, thanks, Patrick. Always good to see old friends... I was pleased to see the young cow my family has named "Charlotte" back in her local muckhole two weeks ago, too. We've watched her grow from a yearling to full-grown over the past couple summers, and it's still a thrill to see her in the early evenings when we go to check on her.

Big Daddy still lives...May 2011 !!!

Yay! Saw my ol' freind Big Daddy! I wonder how old he is now, but when I first saw him in the spring of 2003 he was already a huge adult bull.

IMG_6497aaa.jpg

IMG_6462aaa.jpg

IMG_6495aaa.jpg

IMG_6373aaa.jpg

IMG_6423aaa.jpg

IMG_6415aaa.jpg

happy spring :)

I think it's cool that some moose come with handlebars

The pics are all great but the last couple are extra great. Are you using an "L" series Canon lens?

EDIT TO ADD: By the way, I don't mean it's a nice shot ONLY because you might have a nice lens. That always makes me smile when people say to someone who takes great photos..."Hey great picture, what kind of camera do you use?"

Last edited:
The pics are all great but the last couple are extra great. Are you using an "L" series Canon lens?

EDIT TO ADD: By the way, I don't mean it's a nice shot ONLY because you might have a nice lens. That always makes me smile when people say to someone who takes great photos..."Hey great picture, what kind of camera do you use?"

Thanks Billy! These pics were taken by a Canon L f/4 70-200mm. It's a decent photographer and it's pretty good at finding and approaching moose. ;) Light was scarce so it had to use 800ISO and f/4, 1/60" and a monopod.

Last edited:
I was just going to say that it looked like that lens was serving you well. :)

Love it Patrick!! I wait for this post every spring. Glad to see Big Daddy in such good form. What a majestic creature!

Big Daddy Lives!!!!!!! 2012

Still ruling the forest of the Swift River Valley...I had the distict pleasure of hanging out with Big Daddy for about an hour before a hike on Mt. Chocorua....just amazing :)...just after sunrise, accompanied by a wood thrush and a hermit thrush at the same time :)

IMG_0028zzz.jpg

happy trails :)