Ossipees and Belknaps, 5/16 & 5/17

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferrisjrf

Reaction score
Saturday: Big Ball, Flagg, Shaw, Faraway, Roberts
The first part of the day couldn’t have been more different than the second part. From the Fields Brook trailhead, over to McDuffee Rd, and then back up over Flagg and onto Shaw…pretty much all new single-track with tons of rock and tricky footing. Then, from Shaw over Faraway to Roberts…big, well-graded, woods roads that made for good running, but I imagine kinda boring hiking. Great views of the Belknaps to the south and Whites to the north. We closed the loop by heading east on 171, from the Shannon Brook trailhead back to our car at Fields Brook. The trip took us 6 hours. It wasn’t cool enough for me to engage interest from anyone except Farmer, so it was just the two of us.

Sunday: Major, Straightback, Anna, West Quarry, Rand, Klem, Mack, Suncook, Piper, Whiteface, Belknap, Gunstock, Rowe
This one was a little more interesting, cause the idea was to create a bit of a new take on the whole “Belknaps in a day” thing. Rob and I had been doing some recon this spring, and we figured we had a pretty good plan. Farmer and Dr. Wu were both Belknap virgins, but when they heard the plan, they knew they wanted a piece of the action. So the four of us met at Gunstock and left a car there, before driving around to the Mt. Major trailhead, and starting the day. Weather was nearly perfect, trails were in great shape, and we pretty much just cruised along enjoying ourselves most of the day. We spent lots of time on the open summits, and besides running low on water towards the end, it was pretty much trouble free. We finished in 6 hours 31 minutes. It could definitely be done a lot faster...or slower, depending on your tastes.

Farmer just loves that lame uncool stuff, doesn't he??? :p

Could have used your rock tossing skills a couple of time, but we managed to make due. Glad to hear you guys had a good w/e out and good to see Rob's name in your TR's again. :cool:

Last edited:
So the four of us met at Gunstock and left a car there,

We finished in 6 hours 31 minutes. It could definitely be done a lot faster...or slower, depending on your tastes.
You forgot two dogs! My first time hiking with Carter and Tuck... Glad to see Rob out there again, looking strong. Great day of hiking.

-Dr. Wu

Nice report. I think I need to spend more time on the Belknaps. I was actually there Sunday too, but we just climbed Major & Straightback. I had never even heard of Straightback until we climbed it - quite a nice uncrowded summit.

What's the rough mileage & total elevation gain on that traverse?

I've already sent in my money for the patch. Do you want to be the keynote speaker at my celebratory dinner, mookie? The dogs have also sent away for patches. They're very happy about their success.

roadtripper said:
What's the rough mileage & total elevation gain on that traverse?

The way we did, I'd guess around 20 miles and maybe 5000 vertical gain...although I really don't know for sure.

I wish I could have done the Ossipees with you guys but I guess I'm not uncool enough. Great to be back out with the boys and starting to feel good. Awesome day. Tuck is very concerned aout receiving his patch, he refuses to get off the couch until he gets it.Carter is not impressed.
Followed up on Monday with first turns of the year and post surgery in Left Gully and the Chute. No words can describe the feelings...

You guys are a bunch of potential D-bags. Stop running so far away.

I try to stay far away from everything. People say they like me better that way.

The Potential Human (that's Farmer, I think) will be across the pond this summer, but I'll be dragging Rob, Wu, mookie, and whatever other potential D-bags I can, to the Dacks again this summer. I heard LRiz might even wanna make an appearance! We'll keep you real D-bags apprised. ;-)