Most comfortable sleeping pads

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutsosa

Reaction score
What's the most comfortable and cushy sleeping pad out there? I don't care how heavy or bulky it is, so long as it fits in a pack. I've searched the threads and I haven't found what I'm looking for . . . I apologize if this has already been covered in another thread.

I sleep on my side, and can't sleep on my back or belly. Thanks to bony hips, a separated left shoulder, and surgery on my right shoulder, it's hard to sleep on my side with an average pad. I don't sleep well, and my shoulders and hips are killing me the next day.

I'm not burly enough to haul an inflatable mattress with me, so I need a better option :p

Thanks in advance for your input!

I find a Thermarest self-inflating pad to be pretty comfortable. (I also tend to be a side sleeper.) They are available in a range of thicknesses--perhaps one of the thicker ones (at least 1.5 inches) would work for you. Presumably other brands of self-inflater would be similar.

You might also look into camping hammocks--they are very comfortable and easy on pressure spots. I prefer Speer http://www.speerhammocks.com/ but Hennessy is also popular http://www.hennessyhammock.com.

Doug

What's the most comfortable and cushy sleeping pad out there? I don't care how heavy or bulky it is, so long as it fits in a pack. I've searched the threads and I haven't found what I'm looking for . . . I apologize if this has already been covered in another thread.

I sleep on my side, and can't sleep on my back or belly. Thanks to bony hips, a separated left shoulder, and surgery on my right shoulder, it's hard to sleep on my side with an average pad. I don't sleep well, and my shoulders and hips are killing me the next day.

I'm not burly enough to haul an inflatable mattress with me, so I need a better option :p

Thanks in advance for your input!
Pretty sure this Therm-a-Rest is numero uno. Arm had it on a trip to the ADK's (stayed at a hotel) and it was outrageous. No hiking that weekend -- we just cuddled on his Therm-a-Rest!

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Big Agnes Air Core

I got one of these last year and looove it. Because it's air core it's not very insulating but I've used it in winter with a ratty old ridge rest or two over the top and it's plenty warm that way. They also sell insulated-core mattresses but I preferred the lighter, cheaper option.

I got the 48-inch long rectangle and it rolls up to about the size of a 1L Nalgene. I underinflate it slightly so that it conforms better to my body (also a side sleeper). Hips and shoulders are pretty happy in the morning.
-vegematic

I find a Thermarest self-inflating pad to be pretty comfortable. (I also tend to be a side sleeper.) They are available in a range of thicknesses--perhaps one of the thicker ones (at least 1.5 inches) would work for you. Presumably other brands of self-inflater would be similar.
Doug
Try 3.5 Inchest, Doug! the DreamTime Therm-a-Rest is snuggle-icious!

-Dr. Wu

<<<------------ Side-sleeper who loves the Thermarest Pro-Lite 4!!!

I asked the same question a few years ago and was happy to get the recommendation, from Kevin Rooney I think, for a BA Aircore 3 1/2" inflatable pad with an evazote sleeve. Unfortunately it's no longer sold, but you could put together the same rig on your own. Weighs about 2 1/2 lbs, I think (I'll check). If the inflatable failed, you'd still have decent insulation with the evazote.

I replaced my Thermarest Pro-Lite 4 with a Thermarest Neo Air for a thru-hike on the Northville Placid Trail last year. It only weights 14 oz and 2.5 inches thick(1 inch thicker than the pro-lite 4). The only downfall is that is not self-inflating. I spent 10 nights on the trail and had a great nights sleep everytime.

I'll jump on board the Thermarest wagon as well. I've got a three-quarter length prolite 3 for use during the summer, and a full length prolite 4 for use during the fall, winter, and spring. Thermarest can be somewhat pricey, but it's worth it- no other sleeping pad that I've tried comes close to the comfort for weight and packed size.

Has anyone tried any of the new EMS sleeping pads that look like thermarests?

I've got one of those Big Agnes pads like the one mentioned by Vegematic. It may or may not be obvious, but generally a 2.5-inch self-inflating pad is going to be heavier than a 2.5-inch pad that you have to inflate on your own...which is why I like the Big Agnes pad. I need the extra cushion and I don't mind having to blow it up...takes about 5 minutes.

Another Big Agnes air core fan, here. Delicate flower that I am, my arms will get numb and my hips hurt using therm-a-rest closed-cell or even self-inflating pads. But I find the air core perfectly comfy. I have a full-size mummy pad, and like veg says, it packs down to the size of a nalgene.

It may or may not be obvious, but generally a 2.5-inch self-inflating pad is going to be heavier than a 2.5-inch pad that you have to inflate on your own...which is why I like the Big Agnes pad. I need the extra cushion and I don't mind having to blow it up...takes about 5 minutes.

Totally agree. I think self-inflating pads are hype. I'm sure it's as easy to puncture a self inflating as a non. In terms of "effort", the difference in finishing a self inflating and blowing up a non isn't hardly worth analyzing. I blew mine up at 11,000' without passing out. ;)

Big Agnes fan Too, have two, one insulated and one not.. not much cost difference, guess depends what your looking to do with it, non insulated is good to use down to 30 degrees without issue, the insulated ones are 15 degrees... Inflate fully, laydown and let air out till its your comfort..they also sell a pillow which i have but you have to put it under your pad so it wont slip out and it makes a nice taper uphill instead of a step up for your head.. best of luck on your choice.

I thru-hiked the AT in 2009 and I carried a Thermarest Pro-Lite 3, 3/4 length - used my empty pack for under my feet. In fact, since I have yet to make the transition back to a "real" bed, I'm STILL sleeping on my prolite, on the floor in my room. :D

Lots of other thru-hikers carried the Big Agnes that people are talking about on here, and I think even a handful even switched over to the Neo-Air. I seem to remember an issue with the BA aircore one - a leak would develop around the valve, I think - a number of people had this problem, but BA was very good about return/replacing on the trail.

Try 3.5 Inchest, Doug! the DreamTime Therm-a-Rest is snuggle-icious!
I'm sure the thick ones are very comfortable, but they are heavy and the OP stated that he wanted something that he could carry on the trail.

FWIW, I have several 1.5 inch (beginning with the original) and 1 inch pads. IMO they are a good compromise between ease of transport and comfort. Obviously, one can choose thicker if one desires (or, in my case, stack pads... :) ).

Doug

Big Agnes fan Too, have two, one insulated and one not.. not much cost difference, guess depends what your looking to do with it, non insulated is good to use down to 30 degrees without issue, the insulated ones are 15 degrees... Inflate fully, laydown and let air out till its your comfort..

Yup, this is exactly what I do.
-vegematic

I asked the same question a few years ago and was happy to get the recommendation, from Kevin Rooney I think, for a BA Aircore 3 1/2" inflatable pad with an evazote sleeve. Unfortunately it's no longer sold, but you could put together the same rig on your own. Weighs about 2 1/2 lbs, I think (I'll check). If the inflatable failed, you'd still have decent insulation with the evazote.

okay, it's not a BA, it's a Exped. It's a 2lb "Exped Foam Airmat 9". 3 1/2" of inflation wrapped in a sleeve of evazote. very comfy. this and some of puck's homemade cider is about all she wrote.

Sadly, for reasons unknow Exped does not seem to make the Exped Foam Airmat 9 any longer. Perhaps if you contacted them, they could give you some ideas.

I can take just about anything while out camping, but I'm a side sleeper and I just have not been comfortable for too many nights out. I use an EMS inflatable which packs small and is very light (cheaper than the BA too). The trouble seems to be that if I fully inflate then the arms and shoulders are on too hard a surface; if I underinflate then my bony hips bottom out and turning from side to side at night wakes me up.

The best solution I've found is to to use 2 inflatable pads. 1 well inflated one to prevent hip bottoming out and a second lightly inflated one (on top) to keep the arms and shoulders from getting sore. The second air mattress I currently use is the Intex single, which weighs about 2 pounds and takes up some significant space in the pack. I'm looking for a lighter version of the same thing, but haven't found exactly what I like yet.

2 pads also provides redundancy for sleeping on frozen ground and 1 can be used as a float on Flat Mountain Pond:rolleyes:

You may want to try bubble wrap with a Ridgerest on top.
If you don’t move around a lot, you don’t have to worry about being accused of farting all night.
It’s a little bulky but light enough.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you have hip issues, make sure you buy a full length pad. Granted throwing the pack under the legs with a short pad is better than nothing, but I found that I had to switch from a 2" thick short thermarest to a full length 1" as my hips were bothering me after a few days. These days I run a full length 3/4" thermarest pad and throw in a ridgerest underneath if I am not traveling very far.