Petzl Reverso 3 vs. Black Diamond ATC Guide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaf

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has used both belay devices and if they liked one over the other. They seem to do the same thing and have the same features. Just figured I'd grab any first-hand experience from anyone before I decided which one to get. I'm a Petzl chick mostly, but don't want to be discriminatory.

I had the Reverso1 for years and loved it - but just lost it. I've recently replaced it with the BD Guide but have only used it for one session. I'm sure it will be fine. Getting used to a new rappel speed is my only real concern. If I have any great feedback later I will post.

I've had the ATC Guide since it first came out and have been very happy with it. I know this isn't scientific or anything but I do notice more people (and every guide I've ever seen) using it here at my home crag, the Gunks, then the reverso.

The Rev3 does look pretty sweet, but since I already have about a half-dozen different belay/rappel devices, I can't really justify pickup up yet another one. (Much to the chagrin of my inner gear whore! ;))

I pretty much only use the ATC Guide for ice, as its toothed design works really well on iced up skinny doubles. For single-rope trad I still use my trusty Trango B-52, which feeds "like buttah."

FWIW, there's a long thread on this very topic over on RC, if you haven't seen it yet.

One advantage the Rev3 appears to have over the ATC Guide is the release hole (for autoblock mode) is large enough to clip a biner through, rather than having to string it with a loop of cord or one of those skinny Spectra slings.

thanks guys! interesting thread there in RC.com.

and it seems the reverso3 comes in a titanium color now instead of bright alien green or neon LSD blue.. an important consideration. ;)

Just to add more fuel to this discussion........I have both. They are both very similar I have had the Reverso for a long time so I tended to use that more often. In the last year or two I have switched over to using the Kong "Gi Gi" or the Camp "Ovo" These are the exact same devices. The Ovo is cheaper than the Gi Gi and both are half the cost of the Guide or Reverso. The Ovo is a much more versatile belay device than any other I have used.

2 hunks of cord and 3 biners will get you where you want to go.
No need to have all that wizz bang stuff.
Instead put your money into life insurance. Your offspring will thank you.

hmm.. more devices to consider, thanks.

i don't think you want to be following my lead while i belay you with 2 hunks of cord and some carabiners, craig. trust me. ;)

I had and used the Guide before dropping it on a route. Now I have a bright green (matches my jacket) Reverso3.

On a subjective point from what I remember it seemed like the Guide was stickier. Currently it is tough to feed my 10.2mm rope through the R3.

Although it's been a while since I used the Guide the orientation of the anchor clip in the Reverso3 is such that when you clip it to your anchor it sits straight instead of at an angle.
Picture this: use a cordalette for your anchor, tie a figure-8 on a bight to make your anchor point. The loops of chord should be oriented horizontally. You clip a biner to it vertically oriented. To the other side of the biner you clip your horizontally oriented holed R3, leaving the device sitting flat. The Guide will be sitting facing the sides.
Again, it's something small but it's part of the design difference.

The bigger hole in the R3 is nice but you can't really get a full biner in there. It's meant to accept the nose of a Petzl biner into the hole and use the biner as a lever. Personally I just skip unlocking it with a biner and prefer to girth hitch a dyneema sling through it - something that used to be impossible with the Guide due to the small hole. I'm not sure but I think BD enlarged their release hole a little bit but I can't guarantee that you can girth a dyneema through it.

I'd get the one that has the best color to match the rest of your gear.

Last edited:
nice cbcbcbcbcd. i think you just made up my mind for me. because i have a bright blue jacket.

leaf said:
nice cbcbcbcbcd.

Stutter much...? :D

leaf said:
i think you just made up my mind for me. because i have a bright blue jacket.

Oh, you ladies and your matching accessories. :rolleyes:

A friend of mine picked up a pair of BD Reactors a coupla seasons ago -- in their stock, hideous baby-puke yellow/green color -- primarily because they matched her (also hideously baby-puke yellow/green) LaSportiva ice climbing bootz. :eek:

I think she might've said they swung well, too... ;)

I swear by the ATC, but never used the reverso, that being said, I love petzel toys, I use the shunt, and used to use the soloist when I was a little more crazy.:eek:

A friend of mine picked up a pair of BD Reactors a coupla seasons ago -- in their stock, hideous baby-puke yellow/green color -- primarily because they matched her (also hideously baby-puke yellow/green) LaSportiva ice climbing bootz. :eek:

Hey, I want to steal my girlfriend's new Fusions because they'd also match my jacket and belay device :D
Sweet tools in a great color ;)

I love using a GiGi... Does pretty much everything that the R3 & Guide do, but in a smaller foot print. I picked it up a few years ago after learning about it from old friend/Guide in the Gunks.

Just to add more fuel to this discussion........I have both. They are both very similar I have had the Reverso for a long time so I tended to use that more often. In the last year or two I have switched over to using the Kong "Gi Gi" or the Camp "Ovo" These are the exact same devices. The Ovo is cheaper than the Gi Gi and both are half the cost of the Guide or Reverso. The Ovo is a much more versatile belay device than any other I have used.