Thermarest Repair Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
My Thermarest Ultralite has a small hole and I managed to find a repair kit which either came with either that mattress or a larger Thermarest. The kit is at least 8 years old, perhaps older if it came with the larger one. The tube is rather hard, although the instructions are to put it in boiling water for 3 minutes which may soften it a bit.

My question is - what are the chances the tube of repair glue is still good? It's never been opened, but still. My expectation is that I should be able to work the tube slightly with my fingers, but the only part of the tube with any give is towards the rear.

Thanks for any feedback.

My Thermarest Ultralite has a small hole and I managed to find a repair kit which either came with either that mattress or a larger Thermarest. The kit is at least 8 years old, perhaps older if it came with the larger one. The tube is rather hard, although the instructions are to put it in boiling water for 3 minutes which may soften it a bit.

My question is - what are the chances the tube of repair glue is still good? It's never been opened, but still. My expectation is that I should be able to work the tube slightly with my fingers, but the only part of the tube with any give is towards the rear.

Thanks for any feedback.
IIRC, the tube contains a contact cement. If my recollection is correct, then the cement is probably dried out.

Cascade Designs is very good at supporting their products--you might ask them. http://cascadedesigns.com/Therm-A-Rest

A new repair kit is only US$9.95 (http://www.rei.com/product/797508). I'd get a new kit rather than risk a bad repair which might fail in the field.

Doug

I used that type of repair kit a few years ago and when it was new, the tube was hard. Heating it softened the glue. You apply the glue to the mat, lay on the patch, then put the pot of hot water on top for a minute.

Still holding up for 7+ years.

I used that type of repair kit a few years ago and when it was new, the tube was hard. Heating it softened the glue. You apply the glue to the mat, lay on the patch, then put the pot of hot water on top for a minute.

Still holding up for 7+ years.
I'd try this first. What the heck, if it doesn't hold, you can always remove the failed patch, clean the residue glue with a solvent and get another kit. Maybe you've got some other contact cement, not with the kit and not hardened, that would work.

How long have you had it? Any possibility of returning it and ... ?

though others have answered the repair aspect , I'll just mention I sent mine out through EMS and they came back repaired ok . There was some cost.

One was about 25 years old the other about 10 ish

Each was repaired in places differently than I thought they would be.

I suspect the cat...but she's not talking.....

or else it's a case of "what part of meow don't I understand' ....?

I had intended to update this thread several days ago - sorry.

Thermarest's email said that the contact cement supplied several years ago should still be good (it was never opened) and that it was normal for it to appear hard. I followed the directions (placing it in boiling water) followed by placing the pan of hot water over the patch. It seems to be have worked fine, holding air for two consecutive days, although I haven't slept on it yet, and that will probably be a more definitive test.

Stan - As far as removing a patch were it faulty - am not sure that would be something you could do at home, as it creates a most substantial patch - I doubt it could be peeled off.

did you get the inflatable "air mattress" shaped like a farm animal ? they're supposed to have holes in them ...