McCrillis Trail-An Uphill Battle! 5-22-10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
876014473_dnE3M-L.jpg

Friday morning I woke up, wondering if I could convince one of my friends to go hiking this weekend. I didn't know where to go, but I knew I wanted to get out. Then my Dad sent me an IM, and asked me if I wanted to hike the McCrillis trail to Whiteface. He got his motivation from here, the immortal Steve Smith.

I was fightning an uphill battle as soon as I woke up Saturday morning. For some reason the breakfast I ate wasn't sitting well with me, so I kept it small, and had some water, an apple, and a cliff bar as we approached the trail head. We were the only car on a gorgeous Saturday morning. I know this trail is quiet, but I figured there would be a couple cars since it was the weekend.

The initial walk in along the Flat Mtn Pond trail was calming, but somewhat fast to keep the bugs at bay! Wow, those mosquitoes are something else this year! They laugh at deet. I don't know how bad they are further north, but in the southern whites, they are oot and aboot! Moving on, there is a nice bench that can't be 1/2 mile down along the trail, that gives a nice view of Sandwich Dome and Flat mtn.

876013297_MSHUc-L.jpg

Before long, the trail turns right off the "road" and it becomes an actual hiking path. There was a nice view of Whiteface, which lied ahead. I thought..."boy that is a long way away!"

876013503_e7EF8-L.jpg

The distance to the Whiteface river crossing was about 1.7 miles, and we made good time getting there, about 35 min. Considering how cruddy I was feeling, we made amazing time. The crossing was pretty easy yesterday, but I can see it being a bear with higher water.

876013989_XCRq9-L.jpg

After the crossing, it was a short walk uphill before the McCrillis trail diverges to the right for good. This is where my uphill battle feeling really begins. I think it was because I had lack of nourishment, and I was trying to ration water. I took 4 liters, but for me, that is really not enough. Temps were pretty mild, and for May, it was somewhat humid. But most of all, the trail was somewhat difficult to follow, and I had to pay attention to my radar at all times. Normally I can kind of put my body on cruise control, but not yesterday! There was deep mud, hidden rocks, moose poo, blowdowns galore...and several of those required climbing up and over, or under. Sometimes I just said screw it, and completely avoided them altogether. It was at this point when I realized I was not in the best shape.

The highlight in the lower section of trail was when we saw a white tailed deer go charging down the hill to get away from us. I always feel bad for scaring wildlife.

I didn't take too many pics on the way up, till we got into the conifers and started getting ledge views. Mentally, I didn't care about pics till then.

Except for this pink lady slipper. these are beautiful flowers, IMO
876014230_2H7rB-L.jpg

on a break above 3000 ft

876014423_THCSj-L.jpg

Soon after this break, I stumbled on a faint path, covered in moose dung, that led out to a really nice view of Sandwich Dome, and the rest of the mtns nearby. It was the same view as in my first pic on this report.

876014784_4QRFK-L.jpg

A look back at last week's hike, Mt Israel
876015257_Qmn6W-L.jpg

On Golden Pond
876015326_3VUdt-L.jpg

Another ledge, looking towards Whiteface, Dad takin pics
876015991_f6ZDq-L.jpg

The rest of the climb to Whiteface was kind of a blur. It got pretty darn steep for me, and the uphill battle was at an all time high. I methodically made my way up, and around, and eventually over some ledges that led to the "toppermost of the poppermost" of what I like to call Blueberry Hill. I didn't actually summit Whiteface....that would have been another 0.6 round trip, and plus, I've been there before.

The break on the top wasn't good enough, but it was kind of late, so we had to hurry a bit.
876017656_Ja6yk-L.jpg

876017810_VhLMT-L.jpg

Un moment!

grouseking

A few more

Views over to Chocorua were top notch, especially if you wandered around the ledges a bit. From the highest rocks, they weren't so great. But elsewhere...

876018435_Hzi2P-L.jpg

876018735_ctFYP-L.jpg

check out them slides on Paugus
876019864_gZnsw-L.jpg

876019646_pRuRC-L.jpg

After about 30 min, it was time to head back, but not before a few more pics

Sneak-a-view to Flat Mtn pond
876020455_kJKte-L.jpg

Not the best pic, but I like how you can see Carr Mtn and Welch and Dickey from here
876020527_nfhqM-L.jpg

Down we went, to the other ledges, and I got a few more pics. The haze really was an issue yesterday. This is the only downside to Whiteface, the southern view looks out to the haze a lot. Too bad, really.

Jennings Pk
876020918_dUDSA-L.jpg

876020861_EyV5Q-L.jpg

The only semi-good shot I got of Lake Winne
876021067_MwRmi-L.jpg

One more here...back into the hardwoods, and the super rough footing begins again.
876021251_TqwGx-L.jpg

The walk out was far from uneventful. Like I said before, the footing wasn't the best, so I was trying to keep from twisting my ankle, while following the trail at the same time. Actually, the navigation was somewhat easier descending, so I did put it on cruise control for a bit. Unfortunately, the gas tank was running on empty, so any slight uphill was at best, very tiring. By the time we got back to the river crossing, I was running on about 1/100 of a tank of gas, and the somewhat steep uphill past the river felt like Tuckerman Ravine. But like usual one foot in front of the other is the way to combat these situations (well, that and breaks). To touch on something I spoke of earlier, the bugs, which were a nuisance earlier, were downright ridiculous at this early evening hour, dive bombing us like they were those deer flies. So I mustered every last bit of gas in the tank, and trucked back to the car. I didn't overdo it, but I was definitely walking faster than I would have liked. Too bad we can't spray the forests anymore. ;)

This is definitely a hike I will not forget. Right now, it kind of ticks me off (oh yes...forgot to mention, the ticks were all over yesterday too!) that I was so weak yesterday, but I know I will look back on this hike as one of those learning experiences. It happens every time. Dad and I were both tired, so a trip to the Sandwich Creamery was in order. I love the self service! Peppermint Stick is yummy!

Hope you enjoyed the report, and pics.

http://grouseking.smugmug.com/New-Hampshire/2010/5-22-10-Whiteface/12281206_D6Bpz#876013099_MxEKn

grouseking

Great to read a report on this trail, it's on my "list" :)

Whiteface does look a looooong ways away in that one shot......good to know, I won't look up!!

I think I might wait a month or two for the mosquitos to get their fill on other hikers first!!

Nice...I was at Flat Mountain Pond Last night...thanks for the aerial view!

Great to read a report on this trail, it's on my "list" :)

Whiteface does look a looooong ways away in that one shot......good to know, I won't look up!!

I think I might wait a month or two for the mosquitos to get their fill on other hikers first!!

It definitely is a ways! Do it via Blueberry Ledge, and a no haze day, if you can. Its a great trail, and it at least has lots of views on the way up, so keep your fatigue off your mind! And yes, I'd say, wait till the bug season is almost over, or at least, go on a really cool day.

Nice...I was at Flat Mountain Pond Last night...thanks for the aerial view!

I've got to get to the pond someday. Maybe this fall. That looks like a great place to be during that time of year.

Nice TR! Love the pic with the raven...nice capture

happy trails :)

Thanks forestgnome! I was trying to figure out what that bird was...actually there were 2 or 3 of them swooping all over the place. I was just hoping (and assuming) they were either hawks, or better yet, eagles. But a couple friends of mine think they were actually turkey vultures. Whatever they were, it was a neat companion!

Phil . . . yet another of your very enjoyable Trip Reports! And it’s always nice to read about a father/son hike.

And like Forestgnome, I also want to rave over your raven photo (no pun intended).:)

Phil . . . yet another of your very enjoyable Trip Reports! And it’s always nice to read about a father/son hike.

And like Forestgnome, I also want to rave over your raven photo (no pun intended).:)

Thanks again John! You may or may not believe this, but sometimes think about what my trail report title is going to be as I'm hiking. :eek: If I had hiked up Blueberry Ledges, it was probably going to be..."Found my thrill on blueberry hill" :)

I was pretty lucky to get that shot of the bird. Luck seems to be the thing going for us in life.

Nice report and pics. Sounds like you were running on empty for most of the hike. I think we've all had a hike here and there where we feel just wasted. Sometimes caffeine and chocolate doesn't seem to jumpstart things either. Makes for a long day...

Petch

Nice report and pics. Sounds like you were running on empty for most of the hike. I think we've all had a hike here and there where we feel just wasted. Sometimes caffeine and chocolate doesn't seem to jumpstart things either. Makes for a long day...

Petch

Yeah, I definitely was running on empty. I must be getting old, I can't just roll up the mountain anymore, on little nourishment. :rolleyes: Actually, as much as I like walking thru the hardwood forests, it is hardest on me, because I find them most treacherous to navigate, thanks to the hidden mud buckets, tons of leaves, etc. Its prob easier to bushwhack thru them. By the time I hit the top, it was already almost time to head down. I like to rest for at least an hour, and soak it all in. That just wasn't happening that day.

Mentally, I can do these hikes, thats about the only thing that got me to the top, and back. Just one foot in front of the other. But physically, I'm really not quite in shape for them right now. Maybe later!