Second College Grant

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
Anyone out there have suggestions on neat places to visit in 2nd College Grant (Dartmouth's land in northern NH)?
I've hiked in a few miles along the main road from Rt 16, but that's it, & am trying to plan something for next year.

Hell Gate (in Atkinson & Gilmanton Academy Grant) and Diamond Peaks are on my list.

Is the road shown on the DeLorme map from Wilson's Mills to A&G Grant gated? (And if it is, is the hiking approach to Hell Gate closer than from the gate on the road leading to 2nd College Grant? I'm debating whether or not to twist the arm of a Dartmouth-affiliated person into renting a cabin.)

The gate is not purposely left open, more than likely either it was mistakenly left open by someone staying in the Grant or some of the locals who have "appropriated" keys left near the gate have unlocked the gate or active logging was happening. If things are working properly, the gate is never left open. You might come back to find it locked and your car on the wrong side.

The Diamond Peaks are the most common hike in the Grant. The trail starts opposite the Management Center by the intersection of the Dead and Swift Diamand roads. There's also a nice trail called the Forks of the Diamonds just up the Dead road.

Access to Hell Gate is right next to the Hell Gate Gorge Camp, there's a little driveway that branches off the driveway to the camp which will take you right there. There are also nice bushwacks to Lamb Valley Pond and Unknown Pond.

I usually visit Upper and Lower Garfield Falls, which are outside the Grant to the north.

A mountain bike is the way to get around up there if you don't have access to the gates.

Lamb Valley Pond, a v. nice outing.
I've always found the Grant better for the northern forest than for the mts.

RoySwkr said:

If you read my message more carefully, you will see I am not talking about the gate to the College Grant itself but rather to the gate on the W side of Aziscoos Lake which gives access to A&G Grant and Hellgate
Hell Gate is inside the Dartmouth land is should be gated to the north as well. The road was rerouted within the past 10 years and now you need a gate key to get to the Hell Gate area as well. The public road now bypasses Hell Gate.

Dartmouth bought an extra 5000 acres around Hell Gate a few years back and changed the access as a result.

-dave-