Maine 100 Mile Wilderness plus Baxter peak bagging

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, things change. For me I've been running marathons for the last 3 years or so (when I should have been hiking :) ). Surprised to see this thread resurrected.

A shame about White House landing but I always suspected their business model was unsustainable, depending on hikers (=cheapskates) without the winter income from snowmobilers (=not so cheap). Same with Shaw's in Monson when the old man died, although his son tried to keep it going for a year or so. Has anyone taken over that place?

Keep hiking!

Poet and HikerChick bought Shaw's. They are both former thru-hikers. Expanding the business. Seems to be booming the two times I was up there. Spent the night at Shaw's last year after my gf and I did our hike from Daicey pond to Caratunk.

There reportedly was a recent post by a BSP ranger that 1500 thru hikers permits had already been issued at BSP and this is early in the Northbound season. Given the year over year increases in BSP traffic I have no doubt that the 100MW is also experiencing a big boost in traffic as it is frequent focus of national press stories, which is good for any business that supports hikers. Whitehouse landing appears to have been a prior case of owner burnout. I would expect a combination of being unable to get a fairly high asking price over the course of a couple years and a couple of years of time off has made it attractive to reopen. I wish them well

I also perceive that the despite commentary about "poor" hikers, there is a higher portion of non traditional hikers willing and able to pay for extra services like WHL and extra services in Monson. Even though the unattended hiker resupply option at KIW had to be canceled and then reopened as attended resupply, it does sound as though many folks have the cash to pay for this service.