H&O Double-Double Hit & Run, 5/27/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
May 27, 2010: Hancocks & Osceolas, Double-Double Hit & Run

Trails:

Hancocks: Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, Hancock Loop Trail

Osceolas: Greeley Ponds Trail, Mt. Osceola Trail

Summits: S. Hancock, N. Hancock, Osceola, Osceola – East Peak

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

The Hancocks:

In the planning process for the week we had a couple days with sheltered hikes in case there were bad-weather days during Sue’s vacation. This is one of the bad-weather hikes. We started the day with The Hancocks, hiking the usual loop from the Kancamagus Highway. A little later than planned we arrived to a completely empty trailhead lot, grabbed our things, and set off. Since we were planning to have a lunch break back at the truck we were able to travel a little lighter than usual. One of the additional steps needed in hike prep was the insect repellant – the black flies were out in force.

The Hancock Notch Trail is in terrific shape. A great amount of work has been done to clear the damage from winter and there are only a couple blowdowns remaining with nothing difficult to get past. We quietly and quickly made our way to the junction with the Cedar Brook Trail and made the turn.

The Cedar Brook Trail is usually an endless mud pit at this time but not right now. We hiked along a clear trail with very little mud to avoid. The “herd path” that bypasses the first two crossings appears to have taken over as the normal route. There is very little evidence that people are using the official trail in this section. The additional crossings leading to the Cedar Brook – Hancock Loop trails junction were all easy to handle. As we made our way along Cedar Brook Trail we also enjoyed a large amount of spring flowers. The trilliums are everywhere along this section of trail. Very nice!

We made the turn and set off on the Hancock Loop Trail. We didn’t know if the hike would be clockwise or counter-clockwise and had a little over a mile to decide. The Hancock Loop Trail had received a good spring cleaning already as well. The trail is clear of blowdowns and in terrific shape. We reached the loop split and decided to make a change from normal and head for S. Hancock first (CCW).

We made the steep climb to S. Hancock. Along the way there are a couple nice holes in the trees that provide views to Franconia Ridge. When we first started from the trailhead some morning clouds were visible in that direction but we could now see only blue sky. We were in the process of having another great day. The steep climb to S. Hancock is interesting; it’s steep all of the way up, and then flattens out, and you’re there. The viewless summit is a good place to take a quick break before continuing to North Hancock. We pulled out the cameras for a couple summit pictures. Sue passed me her camera and I managed to drop it. She had already turned it on and the lens was extended. It landed on a rock, lens first. I felt terrible. The lens mechanism was jammed and the camera wouldn’t work. After looking a little closer it was obvious the lens was actually pointed upward from the camera body. We both looked at it and tried to get it working. Sue was able to work through the menus and view images already there. After I realized the lens mechanism was the problem I started to apply a little extra force and finally got the lens snapped back into its usual position. The camera was again operational – but I still felt pretty bad about dropping it.

With the S. Hancock pictures out of the way we took off for North Hancock. Along the way we came into some snow. Time for a snowman. Sue made a snowman and I had some crackers. After Sue sent pictures via her cell phone we were again headed for North Hancock.

The trail between South and North Hancock is usually loaded with mud. There are a few pits that often are a test. Right now conditions are worse than I’ve previously seen. There are three huge pits; one requires a bypass bushwhack and the others have logs tossed in them for crossing help. Good luck! Between pit #1 and pit #2 we came into more snow. This time it was a much larger snowman. Back to the mud; we managed to get past all three pits with clean boots. From there to North Hancock was clear sailing. The final climb is through thicker than usual brush conditions; the trail is really tight on the climb to North Hancock.

We hit the summit, Sue made friends with a couple Jays and soon had them eating out of her hands, we visited the outlook, and took off for the trailhead. The hike down was on a very loose surface. Roughly half-way down we discussed the conditions and agreed we should have ascended North and descended South. The loose surface conditions were making for a very difficult descent. We reached the gravel pit at the base and found a nice stream flowing into it. A short distance from the edge of the gravel area the stream goes underground and disappears.

From there we closed the loop and were on our exit hike to the truck. The hike out had no surprises at all. We made our way back to the trailhead a little later than planned but still in great shape to complete our plans for the day.

Osceolas from the Kanc.:

After reloading with water and having a quick snack we drove down the road to the trailhead lot for the Greeley Ponds Trail. There were a couple vehicles in the lot. We loaded up and set off for our hike to The Osceolas. The last couple times we hiked the Osceolas included deep snow, this was going to be a pleasant change.

Greeley Ponds Trail is clear of all winter blowdowns and in great shape. We made our way past the stream crossings and various mud pits along the way and were soon at the Greeley Ponds – Mt. Osceola trails junction. With little more than a brief pause we made the turn and headed for the difficult climb to the ridge below Osceola East Peak. The trail is completely dry with great footing. In little time we were starting into the steep ascent along the Osceola East Slide. Hiking the Osceolas is a little more difficult if a hike to The Hancocks is used as a warm-up. We started into the climb and found more stops than usual were required. At least we were on the shady side of the mountain and had nice cool conditions to help. We knew our plan for the day and knew how we were doing against the plan. We had plenty of time and taking our time on the climb wasn’t a problem. Eventually, we reached the slide crossing. At that point there isn’t much of a climb left. We enjoyed the afternoon views. After a short break we continued across the slide and finished the climb. On the ridge we made a quick side-trip to the viewpoint and then headed for Osceola East. The final climb to the summit includes a steep section but nothing like what we just finished. Soon we were on the summit and taking pictures.

I asked Sue how her day was going and she seemed a little happier than earlier. After a couple more questions I realized her happy frame of mind was due to our getting closer to The Chimney; Osceola - East Peak was the final obstacle between us and The Chimney.

It didn’t take very long to reach the bottom of The Chimney. Sue made a short stop and I continued into the climb. Roughly half-way up I stopped and pulled out my camera for a few pictures of Sue on the climb. Once she caught up to me we both continued up to the top. With that out of the way we set off for the final short hike to Osceola. Just like the other areas, this trail has received plenty of attention in the spring clean-up process, The trail is completely clear, but could use a little brushing out in some sections.

Late afternoon arrived and we stepped onto the open summit area of Osceola. We had a nice breeze and cool temperature. The breeze was high enough to control insects but not make the place uncomfortable. We got the usual pictures and then stopped for a while to enjoy the views. I’ve said it before, late afternoon views under clear conditions are terrific. There are interesting shadows and ridges that are not usually seen become obvious. It’s a great time of day.

Eventually, Sue said it was time to go and we made the u-turn and headed out. I asked Sue for the time and realized we might finish the day without headlights on either end. Sue was still smiling and we were again headed for The Chimney. At the Chimney Sue went straight down and I used the bypass. We met at the bottom and stopped. I asked Sue if she wanted to do another lap, she smiled, dropped her pack, and took off. After the extra up-and-down, with an ear-to-ear smile Sue grabbed her pack and we continued our exit walk.

The steep descent wasn’t bad. There is very little in the way of loose debris on the trail and footing wasn’t at all difficult. We were soon back to the Greeley Ponds – Mt. Osceola trails junction, and then back to the trailhead.

We had a great day hiking from The Kanc. Thanks Sue. That’s three down and two to go – I guess your vacation is past the half-way point. Get some rest, we’ve got another good one coming up.

Pictures will follow.

:D

Last edited: