Sugarloaf & spaulding

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
Sugarloaf & Spaulding

Saturday, May 29, short trip to Maine to Sugarloaf and Spaulding.

The weather forecast was cloudy and 20% chance of rain until 4 pm and 40% thereafter. We leave home early to return not too late in the evening. The trip went well except that we looked to find the access road that leads to the ski resort. Yes, the skis resort, because we have decided to make the ascent by ski center. We are also looking for the place to park. I put the pictures in my slideshow. We climbed the slope that seems a bit better and flattens while the most direct. The climb was done fairly well except for one section to the end that is a bit steeper. Gorgeous 360 ⁰ view of the surrounding mountains. After a short brake, time to eat a bit, we headed to our next destination Spaulding. An easy path to follow, but it seems that with the view we had of the mountain it will be long. But finally it's not that long. Halfway, a light rain began to fall, but not enough to put our raincoats. In return we saw an adult deer. Finally, we put our raincoats as the rain has become strong. But 30 minutes later, it stopped to fall on us. I think that is the effect of our magic raincoats. Because every time or often we put them, the rain stopped. The descent to our parking lot was done fairly quickly. We did not had to many black flies during the day and we had dry path.
A stop at Stratton for us to buy a snack and the next stop will be in a Subway in Cookshire Quebec.

Do we say we add two peaks or two peaks less for our 115? :)

For Annie and I, we added two peaks. Because for to us the 115 list, NH48 or ADK 46 is only a pretext. We love to discovered new places to new summits, new trails. Because after these lists we want to redo these summits on different trails to explore new things. We are very pleased and proud of what we have achieved and what we will complete.

So now, we are at 106/115.

PICTURE OF SUGARLOAF & SPAULDING

Last edited:
Yvon, les Bigelows sont magnifique! A great choice for a 115 finish. In fact, a great choice for a hike, period! Give yourselves enough time to enjoy them.

Enjoyed the pictures...

As Mad Townie states, enjoy the Bigelows, you can even camp in the col at the designated campsites... Also, consider the route from Flagstaff Lake via Safford Brook. Even though it's a longer drive on dirt roads, it is a very nice approach to the peaks and allows for one to take a swim or dip one's feet into Flagstaff Lake afterwards or even to car camp there by the Round Barn...

Jay

Enjoyed your pics - thanks. Brought back good memories - have hiked those peaks several times, and it's one of my favorite areas. The footbed in the trail over to Spaulding also reminded me why I like to do some of the peaks in ME and VT - the large amount of duff makes it feel like you're walking on a cushion. I think the higher foot traffic in the Whites may wear it out quicker, but it still exists on many of the trails in the other two states.

Yvon & Annie ,

Way to keep bagging those peaks !

You two are really something special !

Really liked the slide show.

Great job you two! Really enjoyed your TR as usual, pics and all. Its wonderful watching you hike together.