Missing Hiker in Baxter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyohman

Reaction score
Didn't see this on the forums..

Search for missing hiker

Park rangers in Baxter State Park are searching for a hiker who was last seen Friday afternoon. Officials say 41-year-old Michael Hays failed to return home Friday night after hiking Helon Tayler Trail in the park. The Forest Service has used aircraft, volunteers and rescue personnel have been searching through the area, but have not found any sign of Hays. Hays was last seen Friday around 2pm.

http://www.wgme.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wgme_vid_3785.shtml

The hiker is still missing. Latest from the Bangor Daily News, especially of interest are the last reader comment (as of 11:45AM on 5/31, in any case):

"Our grandson and a friend met up with him on the Knife's Edge on Friday afternoon. Our grandson said he was complaining of "getting all cramped up and tired and was looking for an easier way down the mountain, and we told him he could have a water and could climb down with us but he didn't want to, and that was the last we saw him, which was on Knife's Edge".

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/144770.html

This doesn't sound good, as he's been missing since Friday, but anyone who's read "Lost on a Mountain in Maine" knows that you can survive for a few days up there.

Great news! Commence newspaper messageboard bashing....

Oh, it's started already. I nominate "comment sections after news articles" for worst tech innovation of the last 50 years.

(TDawg, you gotta get to Baxter!)

I browsed through the comments but had to stop once I reached this one:

My only questions are, if this guy is such an experienced hiker... Why was he hiking mount Katahdin alone, and B, especially since he was alone, why didn't he have an emergency locator on him? A lot of money spent on an someone who was not being very smart, or acting like he had any experience at all. NO experienced hiker would've would've wound up in this predictament on a perfect weekend weather wise. Then again, experienced hiker, does not mean experienced climber...

I'd like to know more about his "smart choices" as well as his dumb choices. He survived three days and doesn't look that bad in the photo.

I wonder if he would have (could have) hobbled the rest of the way out?

Glad he got out okay, well some time off for the knee to heal.

As far as the comments, overall, most are not bad, locators, Insane for Katahdin & Washington on back to back days? (best I did I was Washington & Marcy with 3 hours of VB after the drive back from Marcy 18 years ago)

It's a good thing Cave Dog is usually supported, if he ever required an organized rescue, the comments would be harsh. (48 mountains, 3 days, you're a nut!)

Last edited: