One day pemi loop?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take it from a fat kid, Pemi-loop - no problem. You want a challenge? Go bang out the Mahoosucs in a day - same #'s but the terrain variances demonstrate quite nicely how one mountain mile can be WAY different from another.

Couldn't agree more; the pemi-loop really beats you up

I've never done the whole loop at once, but I did do half of it in a day, going south just east of Garfield, passing by 13 falls on my way back out. After doing the whole Franconia Ridge, plus Garfield, the thought of climbing up the west side of South Twin just didn't hold much appeal to me. I think it's amazing that people here have been able to complete it in under seven hours, but that's a bit more than I'm looking for.

Personally, I find it much easier to descend steep sections and think if I were going to do the whole looop, I'd rather go at it going counterclockwise. If you go clockwise though the last peak is Bondcliff, which is easily one of the best. Not sure what the difference is as far as elevation gain between the two.

I've done it 3 times (twice last season - '09), every time going CW, honestly not sure why, lol... Next time I go it will be CCW. That last section on the Wilderness trail just goes on forever (and so boring) right at the time when you really want to be outta there! Heading up Garfield Ridge won't be a picnic on the 2nd half of the hike but once you're about 1/2 mile from Lafayette probably about 95% of the altitude is done and you can recover on the ridge and enjoy the setting sun (hopefully it's not raining, lol). Coming down from the flume gravity will do most of the work and then you have a quick piece on that wilderness trail and avoid the mud and "helicopter mosquitos" coming south from the Bonds :)!

I have done the loop in both directions and I really prefer doing Bondcliff first and then finishing on the big ridgeline. I think for a one day it may be faster too. Both times I did the loop it took 3 days but I also had a heavy pack on and was not in the shape I am in now. I am still not super fast but I am strong and can hold a good pace.

I think an excellent time to do a one-day loop is in late winter/spring on solid crust. Nice sunny day, well above the rocky trail and also well above a lot of trees getting great views.

On Saturday, going through West Bond to S. Twin I was amazed at the difference between summer and winter conditions.