Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One day pemi loop?

Take it from a fat kid, Pemi-loop - no problem. You want a challenge? Go bang out the Mahoosucs in a day - same #'s but the terrain variances demonstrate quite nicely how one mountain mile can be WAY different from another.
    "Not all who are lost wander." - Me

"The Great Way is very level but people greatly delight in tortuous paths."
    - Te Tao Chin

"Strength without flexibility is rigidity.
    Flexibility without strength is fragility." - It's all about YOGA

Quote Originally Posted by dangergirl View Post
    So, I am thinking of a one day pemi loop at the end of this month. Who has done it and how long does it take? I am sort of planning a one day presi traverse next weekend with a friend to prepare.
    If you find you can't get 14-15 hours out of the Pemi Loop, you can always throw in Galehead, North Twin, Zealand, and West Bond...and if that's not enough, there's always Owl's Head.

My feet hurt just thinking about long hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Mtn_Hiker View Post
    If you find you can't get 14-15 hours out of the Pemi Loop, you can always throw in Galehead, North Twin, Zealand, and West Bond...and if that's not enough, there's always Owl's Head.

My feet hurt just thinking about long hikes.
    I think I heard that one group did a Pemi Loop + W. Bond, Zea-Land, North Twin, Galehead, and Owl's Head... in Winter. Took 'em 30 hours? Is that book time?

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Mtn_Hiker View Post
    If you find you can't get 14-15 hours out of the Pemi Loop, you can always throw in Galehead, North Twin, Zealand, and West Bond...
    wait, I thought they were always included?

Nice to see you back.
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 329/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~Rest in Peace Sweet One~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem 47/48

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkyfeet View Post
    Well, it's nice to see that you're all coming around to my way of thinking. A few years back I was berated on this site for making such a brash statement!
    Isn't progress nice. I think three years ago Wu would of replied, "I don't think the Pemi actually exist". :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dr_wu002 View Post
    I think I heard that one group did a Pemi Loop + W. Bond, Zea-Land, North Twin, Galehead, and Owl's Head... in Winter. Took 'em 30 hours? Is that book time?

-Dr. Wu
    I heard they would of been faster but fell they in a big azz snow pit trying to get a drink of water?
    Cory D
    “I don’t know if momma was right or if it’s Lieutenant Dan. I don’t know if we each have a destiny… or if we're all floating around accidental like.. on a breeze. But, I think… maybe it’s both… maybe both are happening at the same time.” –Forrest Gump.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    It is very entertaining to see the cavalry come charging in, bugles blaring, sabres raised on high, eagerly looking to stab someone. But I am not certain that the damsel is in distress.
    civil war renactment?

Quote Originally Posted by giggy View Post
    civil war renactment?
    Will I still be able to make book time carrying my musket?

Quote Originally Posted by LRiz View Post
    You can't carry your musket in the Pemi...only in National Parks!

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

ADK46: 25/46 W5
    NH48: 26/48 W8

Quote Originally Posted by LRiz View Post
    a good bet so long as its not loaded.
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 329/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~Rest in Peace Sweet One~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem 47/48

Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
    Quote Originally Posted by una_dogger View Post
    a good bet so long as its not loaded.
    Whose going to deny her the right if it is?
    The heart of the journey is in the path not the peak!

Quote Originally Posted by UNFROZENCAVEMAN View Post
    Take it from a fat kid, Pemi-loop - no problem. You want a challenge? Go bang out the Mahoosucs in a day - same #'s but the terrain variances demonstrate quite nicely how one mountain mile can be WAY different from another.
    Couldn't agree more; the pemi-loop really beats you up

I've never done the whole loop at once, but I did do half of it in a day, going south just east of Garfield, passing by 13 falls on my way back out. After doing the whole Franconia Ridge, plus Garfield, the thought of climbing up the west side of South Twin just didn't hold much appeal to me. I think it's amazing that people here have been able to complete it in under seven hours, but that's a bit more than I'm looking for.

Personally, I find it much easier to descend steep sections and think if I were going to do the whole looop, I'd rather go at it going counterclockwise. If you go clockwise though the last peak is Bondcliff, which is easily one of the best. Not sure what the difference is as far as elevation gain between the two.

I've done it 3 times (twice last season - '09), every time going CW, honestly not sure why, lol... Next time I go it will be CCW. That last section on the Wilderness trail just goes on forever (and so boring) right at the time when you really want to be outta there! Heading up Garfield Ridge won't be a picnic on the 2nd half of the hike but once you're about 1/2 mile from Lafayette probably about 95% of the altitude is done and you can recover on the ridge and enjoy the setting sun (hopefully it's not raining, lol). Coming down from the flume gravity will do most of the work and then you have a quick piece on that wilderness trail and avoid the mud and "helicopter mosquitos" coming south from the Bonds :-)!

I have done the loop in both directions and I really prefer doing Bondcliff first and then finishing on the big ridgeline. I think for a one day it may be faster too. Both times I did the loop it took 3 days but I also had a heavy pack on and was not in the shape I am in now. I am still not super fast but I am strong and can hold a good pace.
    It's not how high you go, it's how much fun you're having!
    http://www.dangergirldh.com
    you can see photos for all of my trips with trip reports at the following link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets

I think an excellent time to do a one-day loop is in late winter/spring on solid crust. Nice sunny day, well above the rocky trail and also well above a lot of trees getting great views.

On Saturday, going through West Bond to S. Twin I was amazed at the difference between summer and winter conditions.