On trekking poles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty neat study. Using a biochemical marker for muscle damage makes it an objective observation.

I wonder how a trip up and down Mt. Snowdon would compare to a Pemi Loop.

I'd hate to see my creatine kinase levels after some hikes.

If they ever came up with an inexpensive hand-held device that we could use to quickly measure our levels of CK I bet it would sell.

"So, how was the Pemi Loop?"
"Just awesome, My creatine kinase levels took 5 days to return to normal"
"Dude, that is just way too cewl! Must have been a awesone hike. Way to go!"

Last edited:
Trekking poles are great if you don't lose them like I do. :) I lost one on/around Zeacliff a couple weeks ago (black diamond 3 way clip lock, red and silver) and another on the Black Pond Bushwack a couple weeks ago (green, twist lock, wooden grip). <shameless lost gear plug>

They were all lost bushwacking while attached to pack.
Are you not familiar with Hillman's Law of Bushwhacking?

Hillman's Law states that any gear taken on a bushwhack is expendable.

Are you not familiar with Hillman's Law of Bushwhacking?

Hillman's Law states that any gear taken on a bushwhack is expendable.

I agree with that statement as well as all Laws of Hillman, in general.

However, if gear lost on a bushwack comes back to you (by any pathway) -- does that mean there is balance in the universe??

I wonder how a trip up and down Mt. Snowdon would compare to a Pemi Loop.

(If memory serves me correctly)...there are four key routes up Snowdon.

A Pemi Loop would be, as a rough guess, the equivalent of going up and down all four of those Snowdon routes, one after the other.

I guess in NH people lose trekking poles, however in CO people seem to lose ice axes. I was there for four years and found three, my guess is people dont know how to thread them (upsidedown) through the gear loops.

I guess in NH people lose trekking poles, however in CO people seem to lose ice axes. I was there for four years and found three, my guess is people dont know how to thread them (upsidedown) through the gear loops.

You wouldn't believe the jury-rigs I've seen on the backs of people's packs in the winter. Nevermind losing them, it's a wonder there aren't more winter hikers with stab wounds on the backs of their legs!