A Few Days in the Province of New Brunswick, CANADA (June 2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Although I've hiked in other parts of Canada, this was the first time that I've ever set foot in the province of New Brunswick.
Wow! What a really neat place, and the folks we met there were just as down-to-earth as the folks you meet here in the North Country area of New Hampshire.

Travelling north on I-95 en route to Canada, we were pleasantly surprised to get such an impressive view of Mt. Katahdin from a roadside pull-off area. Although I've hiked Mt. Katahdin many, many years ago, I'm totally unfamiliar with the other surroundings in that part of Maine. Therefore, I don't know how impressive the view of Katahdin might be from other locations. Regardless, I thought the vista from this roadside spot was pretty nice (see photo below).

P1050345.JPG

Okay, I'll return now to the Canadian portion of our trip!:) One of the stops we made was at the Mt. Carleton Provincial Park. There are hiking trails leading to four mountain peaks within this park. We hiked to Mt. Carleton which has an elevation of only 2,690 feet. However, not only is it the highest peak in the park, but it's also the highest peak in the Canadian Maritime Provinces. Another claim to fame is that Mt. Carleton is one of the peaks along the route of the International Appalachian Trail.

Below is a photo showing one of the views from Mt. Carleton.

P1050477.JPG

Below is yet one more snapshot which was taken from Mt. Carleton. I met the 3 hikers shown in this photo. I was surprised to discover that they were not Canadian. They were from Maine!

P1050474.JPG

In addition to Mt. Carleton, we visited several other locations within New Brunswick, including the Fundy National Park. We thought that was a pretty spectacular spot! Shortly after arriving, there was a rain shower which resulted in the appearance of a brilliant rainbow over the Bay of Fundy. It didn't last very long, and so I didn't really have much time to futz around with the camera. Below is a rather grainy snapshot, but I think you can get the general idea.

P1050365a.jpg

Without dark clouds and rain, there are stunning views of the Bay of Fundy from several locations in the surrounding area. Below is a photo of one such view.

P1050358.JPG

Because of the unique shape of the bay, the tides in the Bay of Fundy are said to be the most extreme in the world. The difference in water level between high tide and low tide can be as much as 48 feet! The time between a high tide and a low tide is about 6 hours.
And so, you can reasonably expect to see at least one high and one low tide during daylight hours.

When the tide is out, you can walk all around areas which are several feet under water at high tide. This provides some great opportunities to get some unique views. The photo shown below was taken at low tide. At high tide only the reddish-pink rocks in the center of the snapshot are visible.

P1050400.JPG

Also at low tide, there are some other interesting things that become visible, such as outcroppings that are covered in sea weed (see photo below). To me, it sort of resembles a wet shaggy dog!:)

P1050404.JPG

Fishermen must wait for a high tide to "float their boat". Boats become landlocked at low tide (as shown in the photo below).

P1050382.JPG

Once the waters begin to raise enough for the boats to float, then the fishermen fire up the engines and they head out to sea. Oftentimes, this involves heading out into the dark of night, as was the case when the photo below was taken. (Fishermen's pick-up trucks are visible on the docks.)

P1050388.JPG

We spent a wonderful few days in Canada's Province of New Brunswick. As we crossed through customs at the US/Canadian border, the Customs Agent asked the routine question regarding the purpose of our visit to Canada. When we responded that it was for vacation, she seemed a bit taken aback. We, in turn, were taken aback when she responded by saying she found that to be usual since not that many people go there for vacation. I simply said "really"! However, I was thinking to myself that I know several folks who go to Canada for vacation. And, on this trip alone, I met 3 people while hiking who were from the State of Maine. Plus, at one of the places where we stayed overnight, the folks next to us were from Connecticut, and they also were there on vacation. Go figure!:confused:

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Nice! But while in New Brunswick, did you visit Monument de Le Febvre?? :)

Love your pics of the bay of Fundy. One trail you may really like is the Cape Chignecto Coastal Trail in NS. I backpacked it about five years ago and its spectacular. The park headquarters hands out tide tables along with trail maps -- apparently, hikers each year find themselves trapped when the tide comes in!

That's a unique TR John (what a surprise!) I LOVE that shot of Katahdin from a distance. Reminded me of one of our trips to visit friends in the Houlton and Fort Kent area. It seemed that we could see Katahdin for the longest time as we approached from miles away. First in front of us, then behind us. Quite the spectacle. Great job.

Una Dogger: Sabrina, hmmm . . . the monument de LeFebvre . . . Nope, we missed that one.:)

However, if the place I just looked up is the same place you're talking about, then it appears that it's on the way to Nova Scotia. And, Nova Scotia is the next Canadian Province on our "hit list". When we're there (maybe Autumn, or more likely next Spring), we'll be certain to check out the Cape Chignecto Coastal Trail that you mentioned. Thanks for your suggestions! Before going to Nova Scotia, it sounds like I should drop you a PM to possibly get even more ideas?

Fisher Cat: Scott, yup . . . seeing Katahdin from a distance sure whet the appetite to climb that mountain again.
It's sort of an out of the way place to get to, but many worthwhile places seem to be like that!;)

@1HappyHiker -- its worth a visit if you have interest/roots in Arcadian History/Culture. There are also some great libraries in Memramcook NB for geneological research.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translat...numentlefebvre.ca/&lp=fr_en&.intl=us&fr=moz35

Chignecto is best visited at the end of summer to early fall when the fogs are less prevalent -- that said, I went in early August and had one foggy day, which was actually quite beautiful in its own way. Give me a ping when you think you might be going -- its a very quiet park and most folks don't venture more than a few miles beyond the headquarters. :p

. . . Chignecto is best visited at the end of summer to early fall when the fogs are less prevalent -- that said, I went in early August and had one foggy day, which was actually quite beautiful in its own way. Give me a ping when you think you might be going . . .
Thanks Sabrina . . . I'll do that!
Beautiful stuff! :)
Thanks John!
===========================
And speaking of "beautiful stuff", below are a few "bonus" snapshots that show some of the other sights we saw during our visit to the Province of New Brunswick.

In the Fundy National Park, there are several hiking trails that take you to viewpoints of secluded coves, and often times there are trails that lead down to the coves where you can enjoy close-up views. The two snapshots below give an example of this.

P1050440.JPG
P1050448.JPG

Another place we visited in New Brunswick was the Mt. Sugarloaf Provincial Park in Campbellton. It was a foggy and overcast day and so viewing conditions from the top of Sugarloaf were less than ideal. I'm told that on a clear day, you can see peaks on the Chic Choc mountain range on the Gaspe Peninsula. There are two 4K peaks in that range, plus several other peaks that are at 3,900+ feet.
(Click HERE for a link that provides the names of high peaks in the Chic Choc range and their elevations).
Below is a very grainy image of Sugarloaf mountain, and a very hazy view toward the Gaspe Peninsula.

SugarloafMountain.jpg
P1050460.JPG

At the summit of Mt. Carleton, there is a restored building that was once used as a fire tower. It's somewhat reminiscent of the enclosed building on Mt. Kearsarge North in the North Conway area.

P1050466.JPG

For anyone who might be interested, there is some interesting stuff about the Mt. Carleton Provincial Park at the link below.
There's a whole lot more there than just Mt. Carleton!

Link to Mt. Carleton Provincial Park brochure

Last edited:
Spectacular John. If I can ever get up into Canada, Mt Carleton is clearly on my list. And the Bay of Fundy has been on it for years. How long does it take to get up there?

By the way, I think I'm hiking up your adopted Mt Tremont trail tomorrow. So I'm looking forward to all the cleared blowdowns. ;)

grouseking

As a Mainer living in NB I just got the chance to hike Mount Carleton a few weeks ago and I highly recommend it. Of course we were there during the first weekend and the trails hadn't been cleared. They had a rough winter and many many trees came down or had their tops snapped off. It was amazing the number of snapped tree tops we could see from the summit. We actually had to turn back the first day after spending several hours trying to clear the trail. I am sure it is cleaned up now.

There are many great hikes and paddles in the maritimes... check out Kejimkujik in NS as well... I just got back from there. Awesome!

Spectacular John. If I can ever get up into Canada, Mt Carleton is clearly on my list. And the Bay of Fundy has been on it for years. How long does it take to get up there?
By the way, I think I'm hiking up your adopted Mt Tremont trail tomorrow. So I'm looking forward to all the cleared blowdowns.
Phil . . . glad you liked the report. Hey, regarding time and distance, from our home in Bethlehem, NH, it's about the same set of figures regardless of whether you head directly to the Mt. Carleton Provincial Park, or to the Bay of Fundy National Park. In both cases you're looking at about 450 miles (one way), and about a 9 hour drive.

Hope you're able to do that trek up the Tremont Trail, and hope you enjoy the hike. And, I also hope that you don't encounter any new blowdowns.:eek: The Forest Service did a fantastic job of removing about 35 blowdowns, and also did such a good job of removing the debris that you can scarcely tell where the blowdowns were located! As I said in a recent report, when I was on the trail a couple of weeks ago, there were still a few old blowdowns high up on the trail, but they were easy to duck under.
. . . I just got the chance to hike Mount Carleton a few weeks ago and I highly recommend it. Of course we were there during the first weekend and the trails hadn't been cleared. They had a rough winter and many many trees came down or had their tops snapped off. It was amazing the number of snapped tree tops we could see from the summit. We actually had to turn back the first day after spending several hours trying to clear the trail. I am sure it is cleaned up now.

There are many great hikes and paddles in the maritimes... check out Kejimkujik in NS as well... I just got back from there. Awesome!
Thanks for the suggestion about Kejimkujik National Park in Nova Scotia . . . much appreciated! I hope to get up to Nova Scotia sometime next year (or possibly this Autumn).

Hey, I'm so glad you said something about the blowdowns in the Mt. Carleton area. I completely forgot to mention that there was evidence that a crew had been through there very recently and did a fantastic job of removing a huge number of blowdowns from the hiking trails.