Isolation via Montalban Ridge - 05/24/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alavigne

Reaction score
We did a fairly ambitious cycle/hike circuit over Mt Isolation few weeks ago, and I've only just managed to get the writeup completed. We parked at Pinkham Notch, cycled [mostly downhill, fortunately] to Bartlett, and then hiked up most of Montalban Ridge, crossing over Isolation, then continuing over Boott Spur and down to Pinkham Notch. The hike turned out to be both longer than expected (I had calculated about 15 miles, but it turned out to be more than 18) and less easy-going than I had expected (there was still a surprising amount of soft snow in the upper sections of the Davis Path below treeline, plus some nasty stretches of blowdown). However, great views on Mts Parker, Resolution, Stairs and Isolation, along with the wonderful alpine terrain surrounding Boott Spur, more than made up for it.

So, without further delay, here's the trip report. I realize this TR is a bit tardy, so it's a bit less useful as a report on current conditions for snow - however, the detail on blowdown is probably still relevant.

Bravo, Andrew! Wonderful trip report! I see that the alpine flowers have been very early this year.

Pat and I climbed Mt. Davis via the Davis Path years ago, and the trail beyond Stairs was difficult but had a lovely wilderness feel to it, much like the Lincoln Brook Trail beyond the Owls Head path, or the Dry River Cutoff. I do like the concept of minimal maintenance.