Huntingtons revisited 6/7/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabberwalk

Reaction score
Our bushwacking adventure could not compare with the weather and equipment excitement that NH and friends had on Savage and Spruce. But, we did have spruce and it was certainly wet!

My friend, Hufflepuff, and I set out from the Hancock Trail parking lot early. We wanted to have plenty of time for the hike since we knew that the steep slopes of Huntington would be very slippery after all the rain. We set off from the col on the Hancock Notch Trail heading, almost due south, for the eastern end of the ridge. It was steep, rocky, mossy and thick. The last time we went up, we were on a line farther to the east, heading more south west to the top, and the going was a little bit easier - maybe the passage of time just makes me think it was easier 18 months ago. Certainly, the spruce trees have grown taller and thicker. We finally, gained the top, took a short break, and headed for the south peak. The drop down into the col is very steep, but once in the col, there are some nice open areas with some shorter fir trees that are not too tough to navigate. We reached the top of the south peak a little after noon. We noticed that Ethan P. had visited these peaks in March, 2010. We took our time heading down the slippery slopes, and hit the Notch trail a bit east of where we had taken off

In the parking lot we saw a couple of hikers enjoying some PBR. Ed Hawkins and Barb Audin had enjoyed a great hike to the Hancocks. It was fun to meet the two of them. Somehow the issue of age came up, and Huffle was proud to admit that she is older than Ed, and still bushwacking at every chance. :)

Jabberwalk

Heh heh, with a trail name like Hufflepuff you already prove you have great company. :D Sounds like a fun little adventure. Ethan P. is Slopetastic here on the sites. Unfortunately he probably won't be doing a whole lot of whacking for a bit as he and his lovely wife just celebrated the birth of a lovely baby girl (their third child I believe!) A future buswhacker in the making! :cool:

Brian

It is never about the age, rather it is all about the milage.

Nice Tr. and glad to hear you are out there pushing back those fir trees.

Heh heh, with a trail name like Hufflepuff you already prove you have great company. :D

You are right on that one, Brian. We have been knocking down trails and bushwacks all over New England for seven years together, and she is not nearly ready to slow down, although she is well past medicare cards. Huffle met Slopestastic on Mt. Cube or Smart a few months ago when she was hiking, alone.

I enjoyed your trail report, and will keep an eye out for all the lost gear when I get up there later in the summer.

Betsy

Thanks, Bigfoot, it is great to be out again with the black flies, mosquitos, mud, sweat and tears!

Last edited:
Those two peaks were a fairly enjoyable whack back in 1992. We also went from Hancock Notch. Mostly I remember returning via a bouldery slope where the holes were camouflaged with moss and forest duff.

I don't think the east and west peaks of Huntington could possibly have gotten worse than they were then.

Hopefully none of my friends will ever ask me to go up there again, so I love reading about others doing it!

Likewise, Audrey, I am happy to say I have been there and done that. Despite the steep, slippery, treacherous slopes, any day in the mountains is a good day. I'm just happy that I can get out there and hike.

Betsy