Lightning Kills Woman Before Proposal

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just terrible.

I'm curious - have their been any deaths in New England from lightning in the last few decades from hiking, camping, kayaking, etc.?

The only ones I know of for sure is a camper in Baxter State Park a few years ago and a fisherman in CT last month. Does any agency track statistics for this?

Last edited:
That's just terrible.

I'm curious - have their been any deaths in New England from lightning in the last few decades from hiking, camping, kayaking, etc.? The only one I know of for sure is a camper in Baxter State Park a few years ago. Does any agency track statistics for this?

Not sure if they do. I was looking at the hike they took...the views from that place are phenomenal...from the top of one of NC's "balds." It is definitely not a place I'd want to be during a thunderstorm...kinda looked like a view above treeline along the Davis Path.

It is just so sad...and I have a phobia of thunderstorms, so this really is a nightmare to me, getting struck by lightning doing something I love..hiking above the trees.

It reminds you how little we really are.

It is just so sad...and I have a phobia of thunderstorms, so this really is a nightmare to me, getting struck by lightning doing something I love..hiking above the trees.

It reminds you how little we really are.

Same here - 'm absolutely terrified of lightning after two really close calls over the past 10 years. If I even see a cloud that has even a 1/2 nasty look to it, I'm literally running down the mountain.

I'm curious - have their been any deaths in New England from lightning in the last few decades from hiking, camping, kayaking, etc.?
There have been at least 2 cases on Lafayette Ridge, which seems to attract more lightning than the Presis. I think one was a mother who was urging her family down off the ridge.

There have been at least 2 cases on Lafayette Ridge, which seems to attract more lightning than the Presis. I think one was a mother who was urging her family down off the ridge.

At least one fatality and a few serious injuries to those camping inside the hotel foundation on the summit of Lafayette the summer of 1968 (after being told not to do camp there by the croo at Flea). :confused: