Proposed Mt. Greylock Resort

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why can't developers just stay away from our beloved mountains?
Becau$e everyone love$ the mountain$ and the developer$ want everyone to be able to vi$it them! :D

Remember, Greylock is not exactly pristine. After all, you can drive up and see the view, and there is a humongous tower up there. That's not to say I am in favor of this project, but it's probably not the worst place in the world to do it.

If they had picked Mt. Marcy, I'd be mad as well!

Seriously, does anyone know if there is any sensitive habitat up there, i.e. rare plants, rare animals?

I'd personally hate to see more development around Mt. Greylock. I was very happy that after the summit road renovation was complete, they chose not to reopened the road to Sperry Campgroud. Making that a hike-in only space changes the character of that area in a good way. I'd hope that future changes would continue to reduce the development in the area.

I say its a good idea, probably will create some jobs for otherwise out of work people......I know its great for us in the metro areas to have a "wilderness" that we don't want touched.. my guess is mr joe blow that is out of work and having problems putting food on the table and paying the mortage out there probably welcomes this.... but as long as our weekend hiking places aren't ruined... :confused::confused::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Ah, the fine balance between development and the environment.
Build a conference center and then it puts further pressure on the land around it...restaurants, more motels, condos, McMansions nearby.

The peak might have a road and that huge tower, but walk the trails on a winter day or when the road is closed its one beautiful bunch of woods.

The dilemma posed by this is the same as what is happening in the Adirondacks around Tupper Lake or the Catskills around Belleayre Mt.
For me, its hard to answer the question of 'when is enough building, construction and development' enough? People need to eat and live, but once constructed, the buildings, macadam, parking lots, light pollution, etc is there for decades if not forever.
Hard question - part of me believes the people who live or move there know what the deal is beforehand and can leave. The mountains can't go anywhere and rely on us to protect them.
My apologies for the philosophizing.

I say its a good idea, probably will create some jobs for otherwise out of work people......I know its great for us in the metro areas to have a "wilderness" that we don't want touched.. my guess is mr joe blow that is out of work and having problems putting food on the table and paying the mortage out there probably welcomes this.... but as long as our weekend hiking places aren't ruined... :confused::confused::eek::eek::rolleyes:
Good point. Just yesterday I was talking to someone about the current state of development and she brought up the CCC and how great for the people and for the development of the country that program was. I'm sure there must be some here who enjoy CCC trails, right?

Gee, I feel like the old timer quoted at the end of the article. Various people have been trying to develop the area for decades.

But, some things have changed. From what I understand, Mass MOCA has done a lot for Northern Berkshire, mainly reversing the long decline. So, perhaps it is time for a modest development at Greylock Glen. But, still the transportation situation has not changed. It's still tough to get to Adams from the larger metropolitan areas.

It's still tough to get to Adams from the larger metropolitan areas.
Easier to get there from New York area than Boston ... a good reason to stay away:D

They have been pushing a development here for decades. I seem to recall a scandle during the Dukakis era about this development.

In this economy and uncertainty nothing will be built there soon but you watch, there'll be tremendous pressure for taxpayer supported "economic development funds" along with the necessary building and development approvals.

Sounds like a decent idea to me. Keep some of those NH-bound tourism dollar in my home state. And it's not another summit building but a very close model of the Great Glen Outdoor Center. Another campground, more trails, nordic ski center and an outdoor music venue are a nice trade-off for a lodge and conference center, IMO. I would much rather see that type of "less-invasive" development than something with much more impact, such as a ski area.

This is not a complete surprise to me and I believe it will be a done deal, most likely sooner than later.

I enjoyed the AMC building at the top. It wasn't my favorite but for that area, with a road leading to the summit it was "OK". I hung out at Greylock, and occasionally camped at Sperry in June, September, Oct midweek, and had a great time. Met lots of thru hikers there and enjoyed their company.

Time passes. Things change.
Now we have a much better plan. We can develop a nice little NO Conway right here in MA. There MUST be lots of shops and outlet stores to entertain the resort folks. Keep in mind one can only drive up and down Greylock so many times a day. So bring it on. Development!

We start with the "resort center", attract more tourists, help the economy, and we make lots of folks very happy.
Then we provide them with lots of shopping and don't forget golf. More condos, shops, fine restaurants, Santa's land, and how about a nice little cog railroad to the summit. Fine dining up top cannot be overlooked.
The economy is booming, the living proof that we are successful!

Over the years I heard on more that one occasion from peers at works that they were going to stay at the MT W hotel. Upon their return, I asked what they thought of Mt W. They looked at me with a blank stare and had not a clue what I was referring to. They could however describe in detail the shops in No Conway and all the fine eating establishments. Perhaps my most beautiful MT W was in the clouds, but regardless it was most certainly not a highpoint of their trip. In fact I think they believed the hotel was Mt W!!!

We, the lovers and worshipers of trails and mountains are indeed a rare breed. We care about the mountain, the trails, keeping them pristine, quiet, peaceful. This is NOT was the masses are longing for.

I will never forget how sad I was when I discovered that my most beautiful Smuggler's Notch campground in VT was being taken over by developers. For some strange reason I had become obsessed with going up to that area to camp at that particular time not knowing that I would be the very last camper. When I arrived I had no idea that it was doomed. I loved that place so very much, and had such wonderful times at Smugs but development prevails. I just know that Stowe would most likely not have survived economically without developers taking over this most beautiful area. Had to let it go and not be bitter about helping the economy. I seem to recall that my very last night there, we had a violent storm that raged for hours. It was one of my best nights ever camping. I made it a point to remain so I would be the very last one to leave the next morning. As I walked the campground, tears streaming down, I felt in some way blessed that I had the privilege on one last goodbye.

One final suggestion. How about a nice alpine ski area at Greylock, and few condos to accommodate the folks who enjoy skiing right out their doors? Let's give it a few years and see what comes to pass. Developers have a way of making their dreams come true.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:
They should open a concert venue like Tanglewood. We're looking at seeing Carol King and James Taylor there July 4th...the decent hotels have 2 or 3 night minimums at $300/night. The freakin Super 8 is $200 per night. Lenox economy seems okay.

They should open a concert venue like Tanglewood. We're looking at seeing Carol King and James Taylor there July 4th...the decent hotels have 2 or 3 night minimums at $300/night. The freakin Super 8 is $200 per night. Lenox economy seems okay.

Not as well as you might think. There's talk of raising the hotel/motel tax again, and the venerable Lenox Library has a budget deficit.

But, some things have changed. From what I understand, Mass MOCA has done a lot for Northern Berkshire, mainly reversing the long decline. So, perhaps it is time for a modest development at Greylock Glen. But, still the transportation situation has not changed. It's still tough to get to Adams from the larger metropolitan areas.

That's why most of us love the Berkshires!

Seriously, does anyone know if there is any sensitive habitat up there, i.e. rare plants, rare animals?

http://www.env.state.ma.us/mepa/mepadocs/2010/040710em/nps/enf/14566.pdf

I personally wonder how much Adams would gain from such an endeavor? The land is owned by the State, so real estate taxes aren't a factor. Many other recent large scale development/construction projects in the Berkshires, like a regional landfill in Hinsdale, and the cleanup of the Housatonic River by GE have been brought under the Massachusetts EPA, through the designation of the areas as being: "Areas of Critical Environmental Concern". At least in these two cases, a 'good' example of Big Brother getting involved. Development in the Berkshires is no longer cut and dried. Too many environmentally-conscious people live around here.

I feel that the biggest hurdle any developer has to overcome are the many small ponds that exist in the Glen, remnants of Elco's attempt at building a golf course in the 70's. Regulations regarding building near wetlands in Mass. are very prohibitive!

Gee, I feel like the old timer quoted at the end of the article. Various people have been trying to develop the area for decades.

How about nice little airport and charter flights? ;)

Not as well as you might think. There's talk of raising the hotel/motel tax again, and the venerable Lenox Library has a budget deficit.

Imagine the economy without Tanglewood, the outlets, motels and restaurants.

and the cleanup of the Housatonic River by GE !

I'm down river and boat/fish on the Housatonic/Lillinonah. How's that clean-up going ? Fish safe yet ? :rolleyes: What's the half life of PCB ? :mad:

Imagine the economy without Tanglewood, the outlets, motels and restaurants.

I'm down river and boat/fish on the Housatonic/Lillinonah. How's that clean-up going ? Fish safe yet ? :rolleyes: What's the half life of PCB ? :mad:

Having grown up in Lenox, I hated the summer tourist season. Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil....

Ah, fishing and the Housatonic, my favorite pastime. In spite of the pollution, the Housy is THE greatest pike fishing destination in the Northeast! I caught my largest northern in Conn., just above Falls Village (21 1/2 lber). How's the pike fishing in Lillinonah anyhow?

A short summary of the cleanup;

The river from the GE plant to the confluence of the east and west branches, about 1 1/2 miles, has been cleaned. The river looks a little naked, because all the trees on the banks were removed, but other trees have been replanted.

The 6 miles from the confluence to Woods Pond in Lenox Dale is next on GE's plate. This is a different animal because the river slows down and meanders back and forth. Therefore, the cleanup is not only in the river itself, but the floodplain on both sides. A far bigger task (and price tag) for GE than the first mile and a half. GE's initial proposal to the Mass. DEP was to tear all the sediment and polluted soil out, stockpile it somewhere nearby, cover the bottom of the Woods Pond area with a membrane, and hope it holds up. Obviously, this was the most visually destructive solution (and cheapest) offered by GE. Environmentalists and concerned citizens voiced their displeasure with this option, so Mass DEP ordered GE back to the drawing board, to find a way to rid the area of PCB contamination, without turning the corridor into a waste land. I believe GE has until this fall to present a new plan to DEP.

The 6 miles from south of Pittsfield to Woods Pond is some of the most scenic canoeing/kayaking anywhere! Abundant wildlife and flora make it hard to imagine it is polluted that badly!

As for the rest of the river, south of Woods Pond to Long Island Sound, I believe that is a federal issue, so the EPA has their hands full with GE. What ever happens isn't going to be done in the next five years, that's for sure! And the half-life of PCB's is a lot longer than our whole lives combined, sorry to say!

Ah, fishing and the Housatonic, my favorite pastime. In spite of the pollution, the Housy is THE greatest pike fishing destination in the Northeast! I caught my largest northern in Conn., just above Falls Village (21 1/2 lber).

Nice ! I've heard other similar stories about that section of the river. What was the length on that ? My wife caught the largest pike "I've" ever caught at the north end of Lake George; didn't weigh it but the length was 36"...looked like an alligator coming up through the weeds !

How's the pike fishing in Lillinonah anyhow?

Connecticut Freshwater Record Fish
Common Name Weight Location Caught Angler Year Caught

Brown Trout (Sea-run) 9 13 Housatonic River, Shelton Gerald Carden 1992

Northern Pike 29 0 Lake Lillinonah, Brookfield Joseph Nett 1980