Brown water

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I was hiking Blue Mountain yesterday and I thought it was St. Patricks day. There was brown water with Foam running in the brooks (looked like a Guiness draft). Please tell me this was natural from birch bark or something.:(

I was hiking Blue Mountain yesterday and I thought it was St. Patricks day. There was brown water with Foam running in the brooks (looked like a Guiness draft). Please tell me this was natural from birch bark or something.:(

OK. You've been told.;)

I think it probably is a result of tannins (a product of vegetation -- it's what turns your tea dark) in the water. Adirondack dark (black or brown or tea) water has been around at least as long as I've hiked in the region (50 years, ±) and no doubt much longer than that. The tannins, I understand, tend to foam when the brew is agitated.

G.

Sailors loading up their water barrels used to prefer the brown (tannin) water--it keeps longer than clear water. (This was before modern purification methods...)

Doug

i love that dirty water !

drink.gif

And just because it's brown, does not mean that it is not drinkable. You'll notice the distinctive taste of tannin as you drink it. Wine-nuts are familiar with the taste of tannin in wines.... Me??? I'm familiar with it from drinking brown water.