What is the name of this Peak?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ned Kipperson

Reaction score
Pretty far from the blue line Avatar:Guy like!
It is the most southern peak along the Long Trail. I was up there this afternoon and I saw a weathered sign on top carved out of wood. It looked like it might have said "Mt. Colbrook". Anyway it's just over 3000' and there was an AT thru-hiker with a long beard and graying hair on top(probably gone by now).

Well, acording to the AT Guide, there are the following features (measured from the Vermont-Massachusetts border):

3.1 miles "nameless ridge" 3025'
4.9 miles "nameless ridge" 2900'
7.0 miles "Consultation Peak" 2840'

The LT Guide similarly has "Peak 3025" and "Consultation Peak"

Here's a shot of 3025 in May 2002 (after a late snow storm): Peak 3025
I have a vague recollection the view was towards the southwest or west.

Pb

Last edited:
The peak with the weathered sign is Consultation Peak - it's a wooded summit, just under 3000ft, as Papa Bear says. Peak 3025 has power lines running over it, which you can't see in his picture.

RoySwkr said:
I also think the southernmost LT peak is just beyond the state line, you drop over 200' to County Road.

Looking at the profile from the AT map of that section, there is no peak with any discernable prominence between the state line and 3025. The state line itself is at a relative high point around 2400' but it falls at most 150-200 feet to the low point about 1/2 mile further on. The next bump is about 2 miles further (just before the Seth Warner Shelter) at 2295' also with prominence of at most 100-150'. The first "real peak" is in fact 3025. The map also shows County Road which crosses the trail between Sethe Warner and 3025 as being about 2200'. From the state line to County Road it's relatively flat at about 2100' (with the one bump 2295 in that stretch just before Seth Warner).

That's all pretty complicated when you read it. Looking at the profile on the map, you "get" it immediately. I wish my scanner were working so I could show everyone what it shows.

Roy is right, the 3025 peak is about 1/2 mile before the power line, although there is a slight rise after the power lines to 2900' (a sub peak of 3025).

The Topozone maps of the area are not much help since the USGS maps have the trail in the wrong place.

Now a question for any history buff out there: where does the name "Consultation Peak" come from?

Pb

Last edited:
Well, 2400' is actually right on the State line and whether it has or has not much prominence, it does have several signs saying something like welcome to the Long Trail. Here's a picture. As I recall it's not much of a peak as the picture also shows. More like a "rise".

In any case, based on the original question about a faded sign, I would say that this is not the peak in question. I would guess beverly answered the question about the sign being on Consultation peak. As I recall, 3025' doesn't have any sign.

Pb

Ned Kipperson said:
I should have been more detailed:
Southern most 3000' peak, at 3025', approximately 1 mile north of County Road, Town of Stamford, County of Bennington.
The sign is off of the trail on a beech tree.
The 2000 GMC sign inventory says MT MEULBROEK, presumably the sign was more legibile then.

The first Long Trail peak is just N of the MA border at ~2350' http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4734090.00011285&e=650895.000012026&datum=nad83 , it has a 200' col to the NE. Perhaps it has a sign too, since a lot of people seem to have missed the sign on 3025 :)

RoySwkr-----The only sign I recall seeing was the "Welcome to VT" old board sign. This question caught my eye and sent me back to my log book to see if I made any note of the first peak in Vt. My notes list East Mt @ 2280 in Ma and then nothing until Nameless 3025 after Seth Warner. Roy's map link clearly reveals this summit at 2350 just after the border. Now as a shameless peak bagger I questioned how I ever let one go uncounted. The map also suggest 2350 is a countable bump as its ascent from the previous hill ( East Mt.) suggest a 200 foot rise. Conditions were sleet to rain and back to sleet at the time I crawled my way through there. I checked the Long Trail Guide to compare their map to the topo Roy supplied. I used the guide's maps on my hike. The guide does not indicate any summit before 3025. The LT guide map and conditions caused me to miss one. Use of the guide maps could be part of the confusion in noting the "last" summit in VT. Thanks for the map I may add a peak to my list.