Tragedy on Little Bear – Colorado

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
I can’t imagine having to make a decision to leave a mortally injured partner while seeking help.

News Report

14ers.com thread

Little Bear – Aug 2009 - I ascended the West Face

2914619430097082051S600x600Q85.jpg

Wow. That's heartbreakingly sad. My condolences to his family, and to Travis as well as all their friends.

This is also a good reminder of why helicopters should not be casually called for.

Definitely read the 14ers thread...the news report is wrong (hold broke on ascent; they weren't "repelling.") Kevin's trip report from the Bells last July makes for sobering reading as well.

Not much to be said, other than heartbreaking.

For those not familiar with this peak, it is semi-technical (helmets & ropes) with oodles of loose rock. A NH peakbagger not normally noted for his caution claimed he was going to be first in the morning to climb it, spend all day on the summit, and be last down to avoid rockfall from other parties.

Unless your companion needs ongoing first aid, going for help would seem to be an obvious decision.

Having read the dead hiker's TR of the Bells and the 14ers thread on this accident, a handful of things struck me:

1) The way they talked about the Spot locator beacon, it seemed to me like they were relying on it as another tool in the pack, such as a piolet, or map & compass.

2) He had two close calls last summer, his hike of the Bells and there is mention of another incident within a couple weeks of that trip.

3) He was only 18.

4) He seemed to have been exceedingly driven to complete the list, or in the event of his death, have someone complete it for him ("hellbent" or "on a mission from God" don't seem like appropriate adjectives, given his deep faith); and his partner, no more than 18, talks about needing to complete the list before he heads off to college.

These things make me wonder if his & his partner's maturity & decision making played a role in the accident. Needing to accomplish something, as opposed to striving to, leads to accidents.

(I'm impressed with how civil that 14ers thread has remained. On most forums they'd be well into the acrimonious Monday-morning quarterbacking.)

1) The way they talked about the Spot locator beacon, it seemed to me like they were relying on it as another tool in the pack, such as a piolet, or map & compass.

Except that unlike relying on a GPS in place of map & compass, what other tool or item could have been successfully (ie, in the absence of cell service) used in that scenario in place of the Spot to summon help?

I know that the hiking partner wasn't sure that his spot was transmitting, but in general, wouldn't you leave the device where the injured person is?

Not 2nd guessing at all, just curious.

Except that unlike relying on a GPS in place of map & compass, what other tool or item could have been successfully (ie, in the absence of cell service) used in that scenario in place of the Spot to summon help?
A PLB.

Summoning help to the scene of an emergency is exactly what they are designed to do.

Doug

(I'm impressed with how civil that 14ers thread has remained. On most forums they'd be well into the acrimonious Monday-morning quarterbacking.)

I suspect there will be ample time for Lessons Learned after a respectful amount of time has passed.

Tragic indeed.

Having experienced the Hourglass first hand, it is a handful in the best of conditions. It must be heart wrenching to have to make that call to leave your partner behind for help. Especially considering that you have to deal with Lake Como road on the way out which is known nationally as one of the roughest four wheel drive roads in America.

It is not the first time the 14ers community goes thru this type of tragedy.
They lost one of their most beloved contributors (Talus Monkey... aka David Worthington) in 2007 on Humboldt... over 113K hits on that thread.
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5844

I suspect there will be ample time for Lessons Learned after a respectful amount of time has passed.

Well apparently, a respectful amount of time has passed. :rolleyes:
The admin gave the thumbs up.

While, in general, I don't think this particular incident translates well to hiking in the NE, I do believe there are important points that can gleaned from these discussions.