Berkshires...Things to Do

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADKdremn

Reaction score
Taking a family vacation the end of July to the Berkshires, specifically, the town of Hancock, MA. We've never been there before, and I'm just wondering what's in the area to do? Hiking options, should I bring my kayak, stuff for kids ages 7 and 10, etc.
I do know I'll be taking a trip to the High Peaks since it looks like it's only about 2.5 hours away.
Thanks for any recomendations!

Here's a website that will give you an overview of the hiking possibilities.

http://www.berkshireweb.com/sports/hiking/index.html

This same website lists lots of other things to do too.

The AMC publishes a book on Massachusetts hikes, though there are only a few maps in it. Greylock's a good one, though crowded at the top on weekends (there's a road). From Hancock, you'll have an easy drive to the westside trails which I haven't tried yet.

If you're into museums, the Clark Art Museum in Williamstown and Mass MoCA (Contemporary Art) in North Adams aren't far. Tanglewood and other music/dance venues are renowned.

I am not an artist type or even play one on tv but Mass MoCA is pretty cool. Been there twice and enjoyed it both times. Also closer to North Hampton there is the Yankee Candle (insert foot in mouth), the Butterfly Place (?) and in Amherst the Eric Carl Museum which is great for kids (or at least fans of kid books)

I am not an artist type or even play one on tv but Mass MoCA is pretty cool. Been there twice and enjoyed it both times. Also closer to North Hampton there is the Yankee Candle (insert foot in mouth), the Butterfly Place (?) and in Amherst the Eric Carl Museum which is great for kids (or at least fans of kid books)
Just a minor clarification to Brian's post re: Yankee Candle. It's about 20 minutes north of North Hampton in Deerfield just off of I-91, about 5 miles south of Rt. 2. About a half mile to the North on Rt. 5 is the Magic Wings butterfly conservatory. IMO it's a little pricey to get in, but well worth the trip - just an awesome display of butterflies constantly flying around you. Both attractions would be great "rainy day" activities and if you do venture east to see them a stop in Shelburne Falls (just off of Rt. 2) is worthwhile as well for the shops/artisans, the trolley museum, and the Bridge of Flowers. We haven't yet been to the Eric Carle Museum but heard it's excellent.

Enjoy that vacation!

Jiminy Peak is in Hancock, they have an alpine slide. The Norman Rockwell Museum is nearby. The Ashuwillticook Bike Trail is on the other side of Greylock. North Adams has a museum at Western Gateway Park. There's also kayaking/rafting on the Deerfield at a couple of outfitters.

Last edited:
My Dad's side of the family is from Pittsfield, so I used to love going to the Jiminy Peak alpine slide at that age!!!

Pittsfield State Forest, October Mtn. State Forest, Greylock, sections of the Appalachian Trail, Tanglewood and shopping in Lenox.

Warner Hill is an easy, pretty hike to a view going north off Kirchner/Blotz Road east of Pittsfield on the AT. I think that may have been my first hike at a young age.

As others have said, at least one concert at Tanglewood & a visit to the Clark Institute are a must.

Another suggestion? Hike the Hoosac Tunnel.

Some fun things to do:

~ bike ride the Ashuwillticook Rail Trail (rent bikes at Berkshire Outfitters, which is 1/4 mile off the rail trail; south of Adams); extremely smooth pavement and great for in-line skates too. One section along lakeshore is exceptionally scenic for a rail trail
~ Rafting the Deerfield River (www.zoaroutdoor.com is generally considered the premier outfitter here)
~ Spas in-and-around Lenox
~ ATVing in Pittsfield State Forest
~ great waterfalls (March Cataract Falls, The Cascade, Tannery Falls, Twin Cascade, Wahconah Falls, Money Brook Falls, Peck's Falls, Bash Bish Falls, Race Brook Falls)
~ swimming holes (Bellevue Falls)
~ Mass MOCA museum
~ Shopping at Lee Outlets (if you want a break from the outdoors)
~ Nice restaurants and great brewery in Great Barrington
~ drive or hike to summit of Mt. Greylock; climb the tower on top
~ hike Monument Mtn in Great Barrington
~ Norman Rockwell Museum
~ Hancock Shaker Village
~ Bubs BBQ in Sunderland (I am not affiliated with them, but I think they have the best baby back ribs in New England)
~ picnic/concert at Tanglewood. Simon & Garfunkel are playing at the end of the July.
~ canoeing the Hoosatonic River from Lenox to Woods Pond

I'll add to this list later when I get home.

PM me for swimming hole/waterfall directions.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Sounds like a great area with plenty of things to do! It'll end up being one of those trips with not enough time to do every you want to do.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

That's a really cool website!

It is, but be forewarned, it is illegal, and VERY dangerous to go in there! The ghosts are the least of your worries........

Sounds like a great area with plenty of things to do! It'll end up being one of those trips with not enough time to do every you want to do.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

The main attractions have been highlighted, however if I may add a couple of my own. The 1840 stone arch bridges in Chester/Middlefield are a fantastic hike, that's not hard for kids, and they're just plain cool! The Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield is a fun way to spend a day, especially the mummy exhibit. Kennedy Park in Lenox has some wonderful hiking trails, if you're looking for a short 1 or 2 hour jaunt. There's always sitting on the front porch of the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, and pretending you're a tourist.....

I would make a trek up Greylock part of the itinerary, via the Hopper Trail in Williamstown. :cool: In any event, enjoy the Berkshires!

~ Bubs BBQ in Sunderland (I am not affiliated with them, but I think they have the best baby back ribs in New England)

Enjoy!

Any BBQ joint that has forgone napkins for rolls of paper towels on the table is a good sign of great food.

If you feel like getting really dirty, that part of MA has the only solution caves in the state. What's more fun than crawling on your hands and knees in ice-cold mud in pitch-darkness?