Hiking Toward Employment

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lava Lamp

Reaction score
Times being what they are, many of the people I've hiked with on AMC trips in the last couple of years have been looking for work. I've suggested to some of them, and want to recommend to any of you who may be unemployed, to make a short hiking video and enclose the CD with your resume next time you apply for a job. I'm serious. I've had to hire people. I know that employers look for (a) evidence of perseverence and (b) anything that differentiates one candidate from the mass of others. Make a 5-minute video of yourself getting up at 4 a.m., driving for hours, struggling up steep slides, helping out your fellow hikers, etc. Have it narrated with a voice over or subtitles. The final line: "This is what I do for fun. Can you imagine what I'd do if you paid me?"

I'm not sure I would interpret that as the makings of a good employee. It is WORK after all -- that's why they have to PAY you. Maybe you'll be reading VFTT on my dime :rolleyes: I want you working 6+ days per week, not hiking (I work at a startup--6.5 days per week is not uncommon.) If I'm trying to decide between equally-qualified candidates then maybe I'd slant in favor of one I had more in common with.

I do include my hobbies on my resume which has been a good ice breaker in the past but it has also backfired on one occasion (when the interview descended into a highly-theoretical discussion of algorithms for solving various puzzles.)

Tim

Sometimes I want to hike towards unemployment myself... Was w/o a job for like 2 months last year, felt a little short and the timing was wrong...

Jay

I do include my hobbies on my resume which has been a good ice breaker in the past but it has also backfired on one occasion (when the interview descended into a highly-theoretical discussion of algorithms for solving various puzzles.)
Tim

Very much agreed -- chatting about hiking the Whites, etc. can be a good ice-breaker during an interview.

And then comes the discussion about algorithms or the significance of certain events in Reformation England or the best best way to re-create early 20th Century mortar for re-pointing old brick...

...but I digress.

Probably could go either way.

It does show determination. Also, that you are physically fit might be a plus to an employer.

On the other hand, it might be an indicator that you are obsessed, over the top, too extreme, etc. Not that this is a bad obsession, IMHO. :D

Hiking does wonders for staying in shape, and one's ego to brag online (most do it to some extent- look what I did!!!) ...but beyond that...I can't see how the general HR rep or potential boss cares about it... I think it would be a waste of time and suggest spending the time working on researching the job, the company, and something that will seperate you from 100 others as to why you are better at the position..and a backpacking trip doesn't cut the mustard.

at the end of the day, they want results at what they are hiring you to do - not looking at maps, and planning weekend trips... :D

if someone came to me and gave me a video of their hobby - I would toss it in the bin along with their future. just sayin.....

the people that appear interested in our hobbies at work are really just being nice.. I don't give a crap about someone's golf score over the weekend, and they don't care about my 20 mile pressie traverse.

but kudos for the suggestion.. :D

I sometimes have to interview people, so I recommend that people put a list of their top 5 or 6 hobbies at the bottom of their resume. I got a job once because my interviewer happened to be a hiker! Many people do not list their hobbies, so then sometimes HR doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to talk to them about.

I also recommend putting a list of non-profit organizations that you support, either financially or through some sort of time/effort. This can create some BIG talking points if the interviewer has any experience with the organization (i.e. there are 90,000 AMC members out there, for example). It can help show that you generally care.

Last edited:
I can't see how the general HR rep or potential boss cares about it...

Honestly, I think this completly depends on the company you're applying to. If you're applying to EMS, REI, LL Bean, Backcountry or any of the other outdoors or sporting goods related companies, it might actually help. They'll be curious as to what you do for fun on the weekends that is company related. However, I'm guessing that hospitals, manufacturing, hi-tech firms, etc are probably not going to care. I say that it's company specific.

Last edited:
I've actually mentioned my hiking experience in job interviews on a couple occassions. They wanted to know about my organizational and leadership skills, so I mentioned how I have to organize equipment and supplies, pay attention to map details and weather, and lead a group of hikers over many miles while observing safety and leave-no-trace guidelines. I didn't get either job, so I'm not sure how effective my story's were.

I've also applied to a couple jobs at the AMC headquarters. In my cover letter I wrote how passionate I am about the outdoors, how I've been a member for many years, and how I respect the organizations commitment to the environment, plus my experience with hiking (4K footer member, etc.). And again I didn't get the job, but found out from some connections that they hired from within.

I'm gonna make a movie of the Barnes Field activities!

As a past employer who also loves hiking I must say that I would only be modestly impressed by that choice of how to impress me in 5 minutes ... and suppose I were a couch potato? ... it could have just the opposite effect you desire.

The thing the video does is display your fitness, physical perserverance, planning related to your choice of recreation, and skill with the technology. Its impact will be proportionate to the priorites these things are in filling the position.

Instead, prepare yourself by learning as much about the company as you can from a variety of sources including its mission, culture and challenges. Gear your presentation to the needs of the organization and how you are superb in meeting them.

Use the technology only if it reinforces the main message you wish to convey and it is comfortable to fit into the interviewer's scheme of how the interview will be conducted ... i.e. ask in advance ... I mean, like, how much of a thrill is it to watch OTHER people's home videos?

I'm referring to an interview for a professional position. If you're applying for camp counselor it is a terrific idea.

Reading this thread, all I can think of is: Barney Stinson's Video Resume

I don't know as if I would be ballsy enough to do that. I think it would be akin to me referencing my experience coaching street hockey to a bunch of 7-9 year-olds. Sure, one can draw parallels with the organizational skills, resource management, and overcoming communication barriers - but I think it falls into the category of "who gives a hoot, do you have any real skills?"

Again, depends on the job your hoping to get an interview for.

I wrote a guide book to New England beaches and that helped me get two jobs, as I brought copies along on interviews. No money in the writing of the book, many expenses, much satisfaction. :)

I wrote a guide book to New England beaches and that helped me get two jobs, as I brought copies along on interviews. No money in the writing of the book, many expenses, much satisfaction. :)

Same here, it helped me get 2 jobs too, except it was with waterfalls instead of beaches :D

Which beach guidebook is yours? I own the "Best Beach Vacations - New England" guide. Is that the one?

In 1996, Pleasant Street Press published my book, The New England Beach Guide. It's out-of-print now but can still be found occasionally on eBay or Amazon. I had over 400 public ocean beaches in my database and covered from the NY/CT border to the rooftop of Maine. It also included MV,Nantucket and Block Island. What I ended up enjoying most, but what troubled me at first, was talking to people about why the beach they were at was their choice of the day, and being able to sprinkle those quotes and names throughout the book.

Not sure about the video idea, but...

Perhaps club outings might be a way to increase your network. Some tend towards gabbing while hiking in groups. Might as well let fellow hikers know that you are in the market for a job. (But don't oversell!)