Sentinel: Middle French "sentinelle," from Old Italian "sentinella"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adktyler

Reaction score
Sentinel: Middle French "sentinelle," from Old Italian "sentinella"

I figured this one was interesting enough for a trip report.

I climbed Slide a few months ago, and thus needed to finish up the Sentinel Range. My plan was to do the last three in one day, beginning with Kilburn from the slide, then traversing over to Sentinel, and then onto Stewart.

Arising early on Tuesday morning I headed up the herd path to the base of the slide as the early morning sun just began to peak through the trees. There were still small patches of mist on the distant peaks as I was granted a view from the slide. What a slide it was, too! I know it’s not huge by slide standards, but I haven’t been on a slide in a long while, so it was quite the pleasure for me.

The bushwhack from the slide to the summit was much less challenging than I expected. By mid-morning I was standing on the summit, or more accurately, the viewing platform that allowed for vistas to the west, south, and east of the peak. What a treat to have such glorious views from a rarely-visited summit! I was so pleased, and spent about 30 minutes soaking in the sun and scenery.

Click here for summit video of Kilburn!

Then, it was onto Sentinel via the ridge. I crossed over what I’ll call Kilburn Northeast, and then onto what I’ll call Sentinel Northwest. They probably have more official names on the NY 3k list, and if so, I’m sure someone will correct my mis-labeling. For the entire day I had relied on merely my map and observable navigation. Knowing exactly where I am without the aid of a compass or gps is a skill in which I’ve been pushing myself to improve rapidly. I used the gps once to conclude I was on the actual summit of Kilburn, and later to determine where to exit the ridge, and continue on towards Sentinel.

Speaking of the ridge…it was THICK! There was not a single moment the entire time where I could have put my arms out and done a 360 without hitting at least 5 trees. For the majority if the time it was incredibly thick and I became hugely cut up in my shorts and t-shirt. Even traversing back and forth across the ridge yielded little results in the open-woods department. The worst part was in the col between Sentinel Northwest and Sentinel. The col was thick with blowdown, and the western face of Sentinel was engulfed in cripplebush, some of the thickest I’ve ever seen. It was quite the trip, and maybe not the best bushwhacking decision I’ve ever made.

Speaking of cuts, and misfortune….Not only did I get battered up, but at one point I lost my gps (a graduation present from my parents)! I was very upset, mainly at the loss of this sentimental gift. Amazingly, however, I found it about 100 feet in reverse of the direction I was headed. I put it safely away in my backpack after that little episode, and didn’t take it out again until a few hundred yards from the summit. About an hour after the gps scare, I just about ran out of water. I had blown through almost 4 Nalgenes in 6 hours, how does that happen?!? Amazingly again, however, I found a small, murky spring. I sifted the water through my spare shirt, and filled up my hydration bladder once more. What a relief!

Click here for summit video of Sentinel!

Finally on the summit of Sentinel, I decided there was NO WAY I was going back through all of that forest once more. Even though I had plenty of time (it was only 2:30), I knew it would take a minimum of 3 hours to arrive on the summit of Stewart. The only problem was, my car was back at Monument Falls, and Bartlett Road at the base of Sentinel is not exactly close to that location. I didn’t much care at that point, however, and I began the descent off the ridge towards the road. That side of Sentinel felt like the trail up Algonquin compared to what I had traversed to arrive there. Within an hour and a half, I was on the dirt road, walking towards the main drag.

Two kind gentlemen gave me rides back to my car, one to 86, and the other to Monument Falls. I was most grateful, especially since I hadn’t hitch-hiked before and wasn’t quite sure what to expect. Stewart, though, was still up there….and it had foiled me twice at this point (the first time last winter; see the trip report). Now it was personal. I spent the night in my car, shivering without my sleeping bag or anything else substantial to keep me warm. I was thankful for all the layers I brought, though., and was so tired I drifted off into a deep sleep anyway.

The next morning, even earlier than the day before (I still wanted to do a 3-4 hour paddle down the Saranac River that afternoon), I arose and hit the woods into Stewart across from the Whiteface entrance. Hiking through open woods was such a blessing, and even when I hit the steep part of the climb at the base of the mountain, I was still overjoyed at the prospect of not getting knifed down by every single little tree. I found some neat little slides and small V’s in the cliffs to ascend, and in less than 3 hours from leaving the car I was standing on the summit, with some great views towards Whiteface and beyond.

Click here for a summit video of Stewart!

The hike back down was uneventful. I found and even better route to avoid all of the thick trees towards the summit. It did, however, lead me into some more cliffy sections, which were quite the adventure to descend. I ended up becoming lazy with navigation towards the end, and stumbled across the little beaver pond at the base of the mountain. Oh well, it provided some nice views, and reminded me that I can never let my observational guard down when it comes to orientation.

So the Sentinel Range is now done in my book, checked off the list. Strangely, though, I miss it, and would most definitely go back there someday. Maybe a little ways in the future…I need to gain some flesh back on my arms and legs first…but I’ll return someday. Mark my words.

Photos shall manifest themselves in the future.

Photos

Just a few here:

Top of the slide:
37231_1491494494131_1437080151_31342964_5494978_n.jpg

High Peaks from Kilburn:
37231_1491495414154_1437080151_31342979_8074041_n.jpg

Lake Placid from Kilburn:
37231_1491494894141_1437080151_31342970_8247634_n.jpg

Summit of Sentinel...duh:
37231_1491495334152_1437080151_31342977_1431725_n.jpg

From the summit of Stewart:
37231_1491495694161_1437080151_31342985_3515981_n.jpg

From the beaver pond...looking up towards Stewart:
37231_1491495854165_1437080151_31342988_8046262_n.jpg

Way to go and get 'em! Did you go right to the top of the slide? How did you exit it? Also, did you cross over the top of the NNW sub-summit? How was that?

Stewart from Whiteface ski area took Doug and I 12 hours plus. Still one of our toughest hikes yet. Nice and open down below, then horrendous Hobblebush followed by some of the thickest woods ever. The descent was just as tough - great cliffs though.

. . . at one point I lost my gps (a graduation present from my parents)! I was very upset, mainly at the loss of this sentimental gift. Amazingly, however, I found it about 100 feet in reverse of the direction I was headed.
Tyler, that was truly amazing that you found the GPS. Most always, once the forest snatches something, it's simply gone!
But, as amazing as that was, your Trip Report I found to be equally amazing, as always.
You probably already have enough entertaining stories for a book. And, given a few more years, then there could be enough material for several volumes of "Adventures of ADK88 in the ADKs"!:D

I love the Sentinel wilderness!

Nice font! :D

Great vids! :)

I like how the photos manifested THEMSELVES as well, I need to teach my photos to do that! :rolleyes:

You're the best, as usual. Yea...it took a lot of time to get my photos so well trained.

Way to go and get 'em! Did you go right to the top of the slide? How did you exit it? Also, did you cross over the top of the NNW sub-summit? How was that?

Stewart from Whiteface ski area took Doug and I 12 hours plus. Still one of our toughest hikes yet. Nice and open down below, then horrendous Hobblebush followed by some of the thickest woods ever. The descent was just as tough - great cliffs though.

Thanks! Yes, I went to the top of the slide. I traversed across the headwall to get the most out of the view. Then I exited pretty much straight up and over the height of land. I assume you mean the summit NNW of Sentinel? Yes, I did go over that. It was pure hell. So thick and full of blowdown in the col, then so much cripplebush towards the actual summit.

Stewart was a cake walk compared. I found a really easy route to the summit, and avoided almost ALL of the hobblebush. It was even easier coming down the summit, because I followed a little different path, and it turned out great. The loop took me 5 hours total! Shoot me a PM if you want to know where I went, unless you already know and it'd be old info. 12 hours is a longgggg time!

Tyler, that was truly amazing that you found the GPS. Most always, once the forest snatches something, it's simply gone!
But, as amazing as that was, your Trip Report I found to be equally amazing, as always.
You probably already have enough entertaining stories for a book. And, given a few more years, then there could be enough material for several volumes of "Adventures of ADK88 in the ADKs"!:D

Yea, I was certainly lucky on this trip. Thanks again for your support!! I think I need to have some more crazy times before I could write a somewhat interesting book. :)

Last edited:
Sweet peaks you conquered! Some day, I will get out there and try them out. Looks like its a 5 hour drive to the high peaks of the 'dacks from my place. I guess I'd have to make a weekend of it. I'm not sure if a bushwhack is my cup of tea. But, do you have any suggestions?

grouseking

Now that was a loop and then a loop within the previous day loop! Got to be a first and as you found out Stewart always gives visitors a run for their boots...

Sweet peaks you conquered! Some day, I will get out there and try them out. Looks like its a 5 hour drive to the high peaks of the 'dacks from my place. I guess I'd have to make a weekend of it. I'm not sure if a bushwhack is my cup of tea. But, do you have any suggestions?

grouseking

They're some great ones, that's for sure. Yea, it's a 5 hour drive to the Whites from me, so I know what you mean.
As far as suggestions goes, I assume you're talking about bushwhacking peaks? I would be happy to recommend some, just shoot me a PM! I've done at least 50 bushwhack peaks, so I have a few in my portfolio.

Now that was a loop and then a loop within the previous day loop! Got to be a first and as you found out Stewart always gives visitors a run for their boots...

Haha, so true. A run for their boots, I like that!!