sleeping in your car

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
Anyone have any issues with sleeping in your car / truck at some of the more popular trailheads (with the USFS or local police)? Hoping to get an early start on an upcoming hike. thx all

Anyone have any issues with sleeping in your car / truck at some of the more popular trailheads (with the USFS or local police)? Hoping to get an early start on an upcoming hike. thx all

There are previous notes on this topic. Both the NH state parks and the WMNF consider it camping which is illegal at trailheads. I know people who have done it successfully and I know people who have been chased from both places.

I've been chased away on more than one occasion at the trailheads so I stopped doing it. I started using campgrounds.

In my truck or van I can sleep in the back and nobody would know I was back there. if you're reclining in your front seat, you might appear drunk or dead. You would certainly be visible and, at best, be considered camping at a trailhead.

I never had a problem but then again I usually don't car camp unless I pull into the trailhead at around 1 or 2 in the morning before my 6 or 7am start, so I'm not there very long. I don't think you'll have a problem with it. I think the USFS and local police have bigger more important things to worry about then some hiker getting a couple hours of shut eye

Same here. Usually arrived at 11pm or midnight and out pretty early. I didn't do it often, maybe twice with some of the more obscure trail-heads. I did get in "trouble" once in Dolly Copp but that was because of a misunderstanding, though the FS ranger was pretty pissed until he figured out what happened.

Keith

Pinkham Notch used to have the night clerk go out during the night and chase out people camping sleeping in their cars, it was a unpopular part of most clerks jobs. I dont know if they do it anymore. I do notice folks camping in the overflow lot south of Pinkham during ski season so the enforcement may be selective.

You can always sleep in you car in the Walmart parking lot!

I wasn't losing any sleep over it. ;)
Judgement call as the topic is generic to all. Same as moving some NYS posts to General Backcountry where appropriate.

Find a church parking lot out of the way. It's private property and you will have divine dreams.

Anyone have any issues with sleeping in your car / truck at some of the more popular trailheads

Not an issue so much with an authority but on a very windy winter night while sleeping in the back of a Pathfinder 7 or 8 years ago, a tree came down right across the exit of the lot I was in. It was the Oliverian Brook I think, but either way a 25+ foot hemlock or spruce fell and landed about 3 feet high, level, and completely across the driveway out, maybe 7-8 inches in diameter. I was lucky enough to have a few strong buckle straps and 4WD.

Certainly something to consider if you are alone -- especially if you are alone and a woman -- I can recall two times sleeping in my car at trailheads in the Adirondacks where I awoke to witness some ongoings in the parking lots that made me feel quite nervous and a bit vulnerable.

Just something to think about...

Very sound advice UD.

I think I would rather walk into the woods a short distance from the parking lot, find a nice little hiding spot and sleep there, without setting up a tent.
I had a friend sleeping at 19 mile brook in his van and he awakened in the night with someone siphoning gas out of his tank.

I never had a problem but then again I usually don't car camp unless I pull into the trailhead at around 1 or 2 in the morning before my 6 or 7am start, so I'm not there very long. I don't think you'll have a problem with it. I think the USFS and local police have bigger more important things to worry about then some hiker getting a couple hours of shut eye

I would agree that in the wee hours of the morning there is likely to be less enforcement. But now that the WMNF can give $75 tickets they may be more aggressive.

In my truck or van I can sleep in the back and nobody would know I was back there. if you're reclining in your front seat, you might appear drunk or dead. You would certainly be visible and, at best, be considered camping at a trailhead.
The people I know who were chased had a van and a pickup. The police may be able to tell by noises, condensation, etc.

Note that there are many places in the WMNF where it is legal to sleep in your car without paying a fee, there is just a blanket prohibition of camping near trailheads. [Don't ask, just get the WMNF backcountry rules and deduct the no-camping roads from the set of all roads.]

Pinkham Notch used to have the night clerk go out during the night and chase out people camping sleeping in their cars, it was a unpopular part of most clerks jobs. I dont know if they do it anymore. I do notice folks camping in the overflow lot south of Pinkham during ski season so the enforcement may be selective.
They still do.. I noticed the "night clerk" out checking cars when I was ready to crash in my own so i drove to the Great Gulf trailhead to grab my zz's. This was in late March. I'd definitely go to the Great Gulf again, it's a good spot for it and doubt anyone (USFS, etC) goes there to check up.

Never had a problem.

Also, eye-shades - essential overnight gear anywhere! Makes the Wallmart lot a lot more hospitable.

I usually sleep at Lafayette Place at the "Trailhead Parking" lot, but only if Haystack / Gale roads are closed or full ... have never had a problem. Usually see other cars with hikers doing the same thing - sometime many others. One time a ranger drove by and snooped around at the Great Gulf parking lot it was this past March. He couldn't have possibly cared less that we were sleeping in our cars. Is this really a violation? News to me!