1st Pemi loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
I always laughed at myself at the prospect of doing this hike. Two years ago I was fat & out of shape. Last year I decided to train for and run a half marathon. Done. Then a marathon. Done 2x What's next you ask? How about a Pemi loop hike! I'd been on all the peaks, multiple times before, so why not all?

The day started out at 4am with about 2 hours of fitful sleep - not exactly ideal. Jon & I began by running (and crashing a couple times) the Lincoln & Wilderness trails. Made it to BC trail in :50 then the fun started. Summit Bondcliff in 2:20. The rest is mostly a blur until Galehead hut where we fueled up, hit Galehead mtn & headed out onto the nasty Garfield ridge trail.

We were mentally prepared for this so it wasn't that bad, but it was still the most challenging part of the trip. I will say, however that the cascades coming down the trail were quite welcoming and refreshing. Summitted Garfield, on to Lafayette. Everyone kept saying how nasty this trail was too, but we just took it in stride. As I look back, climbing the open faces of Lafayette was probably the low point - energy crashing wise - of the trip.

Ran into hordes of tourist hikers on the Franc ridge, then headed over to Haystack. Mentally misjudged the distance to Liberty, which seemed to go on for an eternity. Ran out of water before the Liberty summit. Toughed it out over Flume, dehydrated & all. Osseo trail is a beautiful trail, but I don't believe that it is 4.4 miles long, as stated, as it does go on forever. It is beautifully graded, so we were able to run a good portion of it. We were finally able to get water at the very bottom of the Osseo trail, and then on to the truck. Views were magnificent, but after a couple peaks we tended to appreciate them less and less. Ran into several groups looping it also. Frankly I was surprised at how many people were doing this hike.

Made it in and out in 13 hours, and once again accomplished something I never thought I could. What a great day.

J

Nice job!!! Nothing like a nice long day in the woods with plenty of sunshine!:)

I heard alot of groups were planning to do a Pemi yesterday, and I had planned to be out there doing my first Pemi as well ...alas...a sneaky virus has me laid low until my next weekend off!

Congrats on your Pemi and all of your recent accomplishments.

Osseo trail is a beautiful trail, but I don't believe that it is 4.4 miles long, as stated, as it does go on forever. It is beautifully graded, so we were able to run a good portion of it. We were finally able to get water at the very bottom of the Osseo trail, and then on to the truck.

Wow, sounds like an awesome time, congrats and well done! As long as the Osseo Trail may seem, to me its that 1.4 or .5 miles of the LWT that drives us bonkers whenever we are hiking out.

What's the next goal?

Great job. I'm doing one of these later this summer (after my first half marathon next week) so I read this with great interest. I think I'll try to get someone to meet me up on Little Haystack with water. :)

Remember: you can always tank up at the Garfield Shelter spring. It's been running every time I've passed by... and it won't have to be dug out with a snowshoe this time of year. :D

That's a big day & in very good time. Congrats.

Mentally misjudged the distance to Liberty, which seemed to go on for an eternity. ... Osseo trail is a beautiful trail, but I don't believe that it is 4.4 miles long, as stated, as it does go on forever

I did the loop last summer, same direction as you, and I agree wholeheartedly with both of these statements. That bit from Little Haystack to Liberty, while none of it is in any objective way difficult, took vastly longer than I thought it should. And Osseo, once you get off the stairways, is just a death march ...

Anyway, good strong work. What next?

What's next? :confused: Who knows... I am hiking with a very capable friend who is new to New England hiking, so I suppose a Presi traverse and Wildcat - Moriah traverse is in order. Will also probably run a few more marathons this fall. thx for the encouragement all.

J

Nice job! A one day pemi is on my list this summer! Sounds like you had a great day for it! Run an ultramarathon next! Virgil Crest Ultras does a 50 and 100 miler in Sept and the VT 50 is also in September. I personally like the Virgil Crest better because it is 94% trail and has about 10,000 feet of elevation gain per 50 miles. :) BTW, just did the Great Range Traverse, very pretty and fun!

Great job on the Pemi Loop. I bumped into you on Cannon once way back in 2007 (but we didn't realize it until after the hike) and I was way fat and out of shape too. Life is much better when the hikes become easy. Way cool -- there's lots of great hikes/runs to do out there!

-Dr. Wu