Finding MEB on the AT 6/19/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have been following MEB’s progress along the AT and thought it would be fun to surprise her with a visit by fellow VFTT’ers as she made her way thru Maryland or Southern PA. The opportunity presented itself today as we caught up with Mary Ellen in Boiling Springs, PA. We asked the volunteers at the ATC headquarters if she had come thru; she had in fact been at the AT center about 45 minutes prior and headed to the Allenberry Resort just outside of town. We found her along with hiking partners, Icabod and Phineas taking a break on the lawn in front of the resort.

Mary Ellen was quite surprised and recognized us after we told her our trail names. We also presented her with 6 whoopie pies (never knew of a New Englander who didn’t love them) from the Amish market. We drove the 3 hikers to the local grocery store – Karn’s – for resupply. It was a most enjoyable visit; meeting Mary Ellen and her fellow hiking partners.

Afterwards, we headed north on the AT .

Temperatures were in the low 90’s with a slight breeze and partly cloudy skies.
The AT meanders through many beautiful country settings.

We also ran into 3 volunteers from the Cumberland Valley ATC doing trail work digging a post hole for a new AT signpost and cutting overgrown vegetation along the trail.

The trail was basically level and at one point a set of stairs allows you to cross over an electric fence.

The round trip from Route 174 to Boyer road was close to 8 miles.

SLIDE SHOW: http://jimmylegs.smugmug.com/photos...he-Appalachian/12621823_Zezn5#906788119_yKX4G

Mike and Donna

Nice photographs in the slide show; thanks for the link to these.

NOTE: The one "thistle?" picture looks like a Musk Thistle (a noxious weed, unfortunately), rather than a Scotch Thistle.

Thanks so much for the surprise visit! I could hear someone saying hey MEB and it took me a couple of seconds to realize you were talking to me. The whoopie pies were absolutely fabulous....I had hoped to do a big day into Duncannan but the heat was just too much....plus why leave early when I can enjoy another town meal and a swim in the pool!

The trail has been incredible so far and the feet are holding up better than expected. So looking forward to being back in New England and seeing my VFTT family.

-MEB

CLAY: Thanks for the ID on wildflower. Still plenty of summer wildflowers to be seen.

SKIP: Glad you enjoyed our little venture.

KEITH: Hope we can provide a little "magic" for others one day.

MEB: You are most welcome. So happy that we were able to catch up with you and help out a bit. Whoopie pies are the best in my book. The Allenberry Resort was a great place to stay for the $20.00 rate. Try to stay cool on the trail; the weather has been brutal all week. I am sure that your New England VFFT family is anxiously waiting for your return and completion on Kathadin.
Donna:)

Last edited:
What's Next

Nice report and pics.What is next?
If this hot weather ever breaks we will probably do some bike riding and then in late August start training for our fall trip to the White Mountains. We hate the hot weather but with bike riding at least you create your own breeze.
We will do our usual training hikes around the Appalachian Mountains in Maryland.

Mike