Mapsource-Vertical Profile?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
I was playing with some saved GPS tracks of some hikes, and I can view the Vertical Profile graphic which shows the elevation change over distance, but for the life of me, I can not save this image as a JPEG or any other file at all. Anybody know how to take the elevation charts off of Mapsource and save them as images in order to put them on a trip report or a website? I have been tinkering with Mapsource for the last month, and I have not found the software to be remotely user friendly at all.

I'm not sure if you can do that with Mapsource but if you have a PC you might be fine doing an ALT+PrintScrn and pasting the screen capture into a graphics program.

I tried to do that, but i could not find an appropriate graphics program on my computer. I will have to look a little harder when i have time.
The ImageMagic package can import screen images. Free, open source. Available for PC, Mac, and Unix/Linux. (The command of interest is "import".) http://www.imagemagick.org/

Hmm... The import command may require X graphics (the standard graphics system of Unix/Linux). Don't know if it works on a PC environment. http://www.imagemagick.org/script/import.php

Doug

Last edited:
Depending on what version of windows you have, you should be able to capture it with alt-printscreen or the snipping tool. You should be able to paste it into paint or better is Gimp which is free online.

Keith

Do you meen this:

diagSugarloafSpalding.jpg

I do Alt and Print screen and I paste in Photoshop. You could probaly do this in Word maybe.

On a bit of a tangent - does Gimp drive a scanner? I use IrfanView (another freebie) for my graphics editing needs, which are rather modest. One feature I like about IrfanView is its ability to drive a scanner and other features related to scanning. Now that I'm retired (mostly) I have to rely on my scanner for simple photocopying, and Irfanview helps take the tedium out of that task.