Taconic Crest: Snow Hole & MT Biking Info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
Looking for new places to explore and awhile back someone mentioned the 'snow hole" on the Taconic Crest - Is this a decent hike? Also I've heard there's mountain biking allowed on trails in this area? Any info appreciated.
thanx

To answer your question......

It is a pretty hike to the Snow Hole. Not a great deal of elevation change, but there are some nice vistas along the way. Much of the trail from the Petersburg Pass to the Snow Hole is part of the Hopkins Memorial Forest, which doesn't allow bicycles.

The Taconic Crest trail south to Berlin Mt. is a bit chewed up from ATV/motorcycle use. I'd highly recommend the stretch from Mattison Hollow, east up to the TC trail and north on the TC to Berlin Mt. as a much better way to go - albeit longer. I have seen mountain bikers on this part of the trail and the trail is in good shape.

don't worry peakbgr

in reply to :"This is a fragile trail as ATV and dirt bikes sneak in there and churn up parts of it to a muddy froth.
Pls use it for hiking and not biking." first, my question re: snow hole was separate from any mtb trails. but i know there is legal mtb up in that area somewhere and that was a separate question. i never ride on trails that say "no mtb" or are in bad shape; that's not my kind of mtb riding. although i like it fun and love to go fast, i'm not into tearing up the trails trust me.

other places

There is also mountain biking at Grafton Lakes and Cherry Plains state parks, and a little further south at Pittsfield state forest.

How about the Heartwellville Stage Road? It starts about 1/2 mile south of the Rt 100 and Rt 8 junction in Southern Vt. and goes west to the Bennington area.

Shadowcat, if you do go to the Snow Hole, please take a little time to read some of the names and dates carved into the limestone walls of the Hole. They are quite fascinating and some date to the late 1800's.