Hiking with a Pacemaker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakn

Reaction score
Quoting Una_Dogger **Not looking for medical advice, have a great team of health care providers working with me on this**

I recently had two events (not related to hiking)- a black out and a very slow, irregular heart beat which have brought me to the emergency room. Was diagnosed with some electrical problems that affect the rhythm, but everything else in great shape. More follow up diagnosis is forthcoming, but it looks like a pacemaker could be in my future.

What I'd like to know is– can you (do you) still hike (or ski), what activity modifications are necessary, how you have coped, what's realistic.
I'm trying to look ahead positively but am deeply concerned about possible severe restrictions-- thanks in advance. Please respond here or by PM.

This past Tuesday I was sitting on the summit of Mt Flume when a hiker arrived. We talked; turns out that he is in his late fifties, has a pacemaker, and came up by the Flume Slide!!!. We went down together by the Osseo, and he had to slow down for me to keep up.

Your main danger is from a health care provider (MD or physical therapist) who imposes needless limitations, based on her/his assumptions about how you should "act your age". I believe that you should make sure that any restrictions imposed on you are genuinely needed, not based on preconceptions.

I was very fortunate: both my surgeon and therapist encouraged me to push myself as hard as I could after my operation.

Best wishes, looking forward to many trip reports :)

I ran a 10 mile road race yesterday and the winner in the 80+ catagory reported that he had a pacemaker installed only two weeks ago! He got a standing O.

Thanks Mohamed and Rik for the encouraging stories, and Maddy and Chinooktrail for the PM's. Hopefully, will be back on the trails this summer.

My cardiologist is threatening a pacemaker to speed my heart up. I had by-pass surgery 4 yrs ago. I usually beat ~50-60. I ask him 'isn't slow good?' Then again, Old Spec really whooped me over Mem Day. Perhaps drinking less the night before?