Rescue on King Ravine Tr

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mass of mountains bordered by Rt 302, Mt Clinton Road, Jefferson Notch road, RT2 and Rt 16 is frequently referred to in the press as "Mt Washington" The infamous list of deaths on "Mt Washington" includes any deaths that have occured within the previous described boundaries.

Therefore using the generic description of Mt Washington,the Union Leader description is proper for a quick article that will probably be picked up by wire services.

Apparently the UL's correspondent still hasn't learned to read a map in the last twelve months: UL correspondent on "northwestern New Hampshire" being contiguous with the Maine border

Let's hope she stays on the roads and doesn't venture beyond any trailheads . . .

A quick google reveals her website and email address.

Would it be overly critical - or an act of kindness - to suggest she obtain a NH State map and one of the many excellent hiking maps available so that she can locate trails and know what mountain they pertain to?

Well, if you're in Portsmouth, it is (slightly) Northwest...

But NH being shaped the way it is, it really has only three corners, SE, SW, and N. Vermont is the other way, NE, NW and S.

In NY, reports from the City refer to everything N of the Bronx line as "upstate." White Plains is "upstate." I don't think they even know the Adirondacks are in the United States... :)

[Thread drift warning; my apologies]

I thought for a moment that I was perhaps a little overly critical. Then I read the correspondent's self-written bio at her website to find out:

"For more than 15 years, NN has been an observer of the people and places in the fabled North Country of New Hampshire.
. . .
"She covers the northern part of New Hampshire for a prominent daily newspaper.
. . .
"Her specialty is writing about people and places and how each contributes to what brings out the best in both."

Nope, she doesn't get a pass now.

Yes, once you even say Portsmouth is in Maine you're off to a bad start...

But isn't the Portspouth Shipyard in NH but the entrence is in Maine? Or, The pizza place on Badger Island is in Portsmouth or Kittery? I am a bit confused.

Well, if you're in Portsmouth, it is (slightly) Northwest...

But NH being shaped the way it is, it really has only three corners, SE, SW, and N. Vermont is the other way, NE, NW and S.

In NY, reports from the City refer to everything N of the Bronx line as "upstate." White Plains is "upstate." I don't think they even know the Adirondacks are in the United States... :)

I have an Uncle who lives in Brooklyn and always called the area where I went to college in the Bronx "upstate".

Back on target, why haven't the UL trolls been called out for the notion that only NH residents should be allowed on Federal land? They've been called out on the ban MA nonsense, but not on that specific point.

I found the following comment amusing: " I have climbed the headwall on King Ravine. It's not a fun climb."

Back on target, why haven't the UL trolls been called out for the notion that only NH residents should be allowed on Federal land? They've been called out on the ban MA nonsense, but not on that specific point.

I think their argument, which I don't agree with, is that while it is Federal land, in most cases it is NH resources that get stretched.

It's usually very comical, as as soon as there is a need for NHF&G, and it's in the mountains, 'they' start in. For any other time (lakes, rivers, lowlands, old ladies, young kids, stupid teenagers), they don't comment. Add that the general hatred many have for MA, and it's usually good fodder.

I found the following comment amusing: " I have climbed the headwall on King Ravine. It's not a fun climb."[/QUOTE said:
I did it a couple years ago at the age of mid fifty-something or other- I thought it was great fun.

approach was via the Subway, where I had to remove my pack and shove it ahead of me, and both myself and pack got stuck a few times.

I'm not really surprised someone got injured there. I would say it's one of the most dangerous routes in the whites. The danger is not from falling off a ledge (like what you might face on Huntington Ravine, or the slides on Flume or North Tripyramid) but from falling in a hole. There are a number of places in the boulder field where you have to scramble from one house-sized boulder to the next and there are gaping holes on either side 20 feet deep with more boulder at the bottom. It's even harder for short people like me because it's hard to reach over the top of some boulders that you can't go around.

I would rather not do that trail again. My guess is that this person was either carrying too much and the weight pulled her into a hole, or she was short and didn't have someone with her to help her over the boulders in the really tough spots.

... My guess is that this person was either carrying too much and the weight pulled her into a hole, or she was short and didn't have someone with her to help her over the boulders in the really tough spots.

... or was, maybe, merely hapless.

G.