Deet Ate My GPS!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
The bottle top came off my 100% deet bottle in my day pack.
The stuff ate and cracked the yellow part of my Garmin Etrex GPS! :eek:

Has anyone ever have something like this happen?

Never had it happen, but DEET is well-known to dissolve plastics and other synthetic materials.

So we put it directly on our skin instead of on our gear or clothing. :eek:

As Michael noted, dissolving some plastics is a well-known hazard of DEET.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deet
DEET is an effective solvent, and may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, leather, and painted or varnished surfaces including nailpolish.

From http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/insect+repellent.html
DEET is a "plasticizer." It can have adverse affects on many synthetic fabrics (such as rayon or spandex), auto paint, watch crystals, varnished surfaces, golf-club grips, leather and plastic. It will not damage cotton, wool or nylon.

Watch crystals and plastic glasses lenses (polycarbonate?) and frames are often reported to be damaged.

I found reports both ways for polyester.

Doug

Last edited:
There is a warning label on our newest BearVault that says "no DEET on or inside!" Though I've always put DEET inside, I've never had a problem, though barrel has never been disturbed. I'm not sure where else it could go...

An ex-surveyor friend quit using repellent after she saw it was eating the survey rod or something - she didn't care about the equipment but her hands!

Most often I've seen it in a c. 3-oz plastic bottle - obviously a type of plastic that is not affected by DEET. I currently have a metal spray can of DEET.
I think it is polyethylene, but that is only a guess.

Spray has the risk that the DEET can get anywhere--I've been hit by a spray cloud when I was 50 feet downwind. (It is rather uncomfortable when it get in your eyes...)

Doug

An ex-surveyor friend quit using repellent after she saw it was eating the survey rod or something - she didn't care about the equipment but her hands!
?

Considering that one normally puts DEET on one's skin, why would one's hands be more at risk unless one is worried about the survey rod getting on one's hands. (Some people have certainly been scared by the logic "if it damages plastic, it probably damages me".)

20-30% formulations are certainly pleasanter to deal with than 100%.

Doug

The bottle top came off my 100% deet bottle in my day pack.
The stuff ate and cracked the yellow part of my Garmin Etrex GPS! :eek:

Has anyone ever have something like this happen?

Yes, and it was an eye-opening experience.

Depending on the strength/concentration of the DEET, it can eat through plastic bags and disfigure plastic surfaces.

After finding this out the hard way a couple of years ago, I don't get it anywhere near my hands/face when doing photography and make sure I completely wipe it off my legs before getting in the car.

I carry my DEET (comes in a metal can) inside a HD ziplock bag. Even so - one year some leaked thru the ziplock and drilled some holes in my Precip jacket. Fortunately the holes were near the waist, so it didn't impair it's functionality.

Sheesh!

From what I recall, the 100% deet (which I think is actually 98% DEET) says on the spray to only use on clothing or objects, not directly on skin. The skin "safe" ones are generally <30% DEET.

I only spray it on clothing or my chair. I rarely put bug spray on my skin now a days. I cover up if I can or build a smokie fire at camp.

I sent an e-mail to Garman to see what they say?

Most often I've seen it in a c. 3-oz plastic bottle - obviously a type of plastic that is not affected by DEET. I currently have a metal spray can of DEET.

I think it is polyethylene, but that is only a guess.

Spray has the risk that the DEET can get anywhere--I've been hit by a spray cloud when I was 50 feet downwind. (It is rather uncomfortable when it get in your eyes...)

Doug

I should have said that the "spray" I have is a pump spray but not a "mist". So there's no "spray cloud" involved.

From what I recall, the 100% deet (which I think is actually 98% DEET) says on the spray to only use on clothing or objects, not directly on skin. The skin "safe" ones are generally <30% DEET.

I've gone through 2 bottles of Bens 100 in the last ten years, most of it sprayed, on my skin and I'm still walking. Something's going to "get" me anyway and I would rather it not be Lyme disease. FWIW, it lasts all day long for me when used in that concentration. While doing roadwork in Cartunk, ME in the heart of blackfly season it was the only dosage that would keep the buggers at bay. I use Bens 30 whenever I can, but I'll bust out the high-test for those days when the skeeters just won't quit.

And the 100% WILL eat plastics. I keep my little bottle wrapped in 2 Ziploc bags and try not to put it near anything that could be damaged like sunglasses or electronics.

DougPaul said:
Considering that one normally puts DEET on one's skin, why would one's hands be more at risk unless one is worried about the survey rod getting on one's hands.

This is how I know it "eats" plastics - I had the remnants of a black Duracell flashlight on my hands for a day or two. So yes, my guess is she didn't want white hands with red lines across them.

Yes, it does damage!

I played a wedding years ago. The bugs came out, and since playing fast fiddle tunes and getting stabbed by mosquitos doesn't really mix, I grabbed my Deet. Days later, where my arm was rubbing against my mandolin, all the finish was peeling off. I still use the stuff, but wow, it didn't take long.

I should have said that the "spray" I have is a pump spray but not a "mist". So there's no "spray cloud" involved.
I wasn't pointing any fingers at any specific forms of spray--just noting that sprays can blow around.

I personally use squeeze bottles--nothing to blow around.

Doug

Sheesh!

My general understanding is that any concentration of DEET can be applied to one's skin (if one is old enough--above 6 yrs IIRC). It can also be applied to certain fabrics (cotton, wool, or nylon).

See, for instance, http://www.sawyerproducts.com/msds/MSDS Maxi-Deet-05.pdf

Doug

This has been discussed at length on several threads. I think the products you may be thinking of, cbcbd, are those that contain Permethrin, which is an insecticide (as opposed to an insect repellent), and is contraindicated for direct skin contact. Sawyers, for example, sells a "Clothing Spray" with Permethrin, which I use on my shoes, the cuffs of my pants, etc., but not on skin.

(Some people have certainly been scared by the logic "if it damages plastic, it probably damages me".)
I think that was the case, and it often applies to me too

Sure, you can find silly examples ("No water on my hands because it dissolves sugar!") but I tend to avoid strong substances because the effects may not be fully known