Who needs bear spray

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a big bear fan, with bear pictures and art displayed hereabouts and shelves of bear books. I'm also a hunter who chooses not to hunt bears. But IMO this Kentucky bear needs to be put down, ASAP. To persist in the attack as described tells me that this is one very unusual black bear that is likely to continue to be a threat to humans.

Wasp spray is nerve gas for insects. Not too good for mammals either (including the one with his finger on the valve).

I'd stick to bear spray for deterring animals (including two-footed ones if necessary). Bear spray also has the advantage of being non-toxic (it is "only" an irritant) so if any of it gets on you it will not harm you. However, you pretty much have to carry it in a holster if you expect to be able to use it in an emergency.

Doug

Bear spray also has the advantage of being non-toxic (it is "only" an irritant) so if any of it gets on you it will not harm you. However, you pretty much have to carry it in a holster if you expect to be able to use it in an emergency.

Doug

It may be non-toxic, but if you get any bear spray on you it is going to hurt like absolute hell. I unloaded 1/4 of a can on my leg by accident once. I was being followed by something large in Mont Venron, NH, so I took off the safety cap. I then forgot to put the safety back on, but the spray in my pants pocket, and then made the big mistake of sitting down in my car. No laughing! :rolleyes:

The spray hurt so bad that I immediately went to the nearest Mcdonalds and I literally showered in the sink. I scrubbed it with soap for probably a half-hour. I had to scrub so hard that all the hair on that part of my leg came off. My leg violently twitched in pain for the next 3 hours as I drove home. I showered three times over the next 24 hours and it STILL hurt. The next day, I scratched my leg and then barely touched the top of my eye. That eye closed for the next 8 hours and hurt like hell for another day. That bear spray stuff is nassssty.

Last edited:
It may be non-toxic, but if you get any bear spray on you it is going to hurt like absolute hell. I unloaded 1/4 of a can on my leg by accident once. I was being followed by something large in Mont Venron, NH, so I took off the safety cap. I then forgot to put the safety back on, but the spray in my pants pocket, and then made the big mistake of sitting down in my car. No laughing! :rolleyes:

The spray hurt so bad that I immediately went to the nearest Mcdonalds and I literally showered in the sink. I scrubbed it with soap for probably a half-hour. I had to scrub so hard that all the hair on that part of my leg came off. My leg violently twitched in pain for the next 3 hours as I drove home. I showered three times over the next 24 hours and it STILL hurt. The next day, I scratched my leg and then barely touched the top of my eye. That eye closed for the next 8 hours and hurt like hell for another day. That bear spray stuff is nassssty.
Doesn't sound like much fun. But given that you are posting, you survived without too much damage.

Officers training in the use of pepper spray (used for crowd control--weaker than bear spray) have some sprayed directly in their faces as part of their training program...

Doug

Officers training in the use of pepper spray (used for crowd control--weaker than bear spray) have some sprayed directly in their faces as part of their training program...

Doug

Bear spray is typically 5 to 10 times more potent than pepper spray. Mine was 10x. Be careful to those who use this stuff!

This is the story about the Rye, NY coyote attack.

I don't see and can't imagine any harm in carrying a can of bear spray in the woods. Rabid animals, coyote, bear, moose, drunks, privy divers, etc would all be deterred. I'd skip the wasp spray, though, probably more of an irritant than anything.

there was another child attacked by (probably the same) coyotes down here yesterday. and a dog and hiker were attacked by a bear in NJ this past week...so, in answer to the title of this thread: Probably almost everyone.

[PREEMPTIVE ON] Before anybody re-states how rare animal attacks are and how it's more dangerous to drive to the trail...I understand and agree. There does seem to be an increase in attacks, however, and for reasons stated above I don't think carrying bear spray is a bad idea, regardless. [PREEMPTIVE OFF] :)

The instructions on the canister are very clear, including a warning not to try to spray objects with it in the hopes that the scent will serve as a repellent.

I like the holster and am impressed with the ergonomics of the design of the bear spray I bought at REI. Properly placed on the belt or front strap of the backpack the canister can be removed by one hand and operable in one motion: you bring your hand up to unfasten the velcro that holds the canister securely in place, at the top of this motion the forefinger goes into a ring at the top of the canister and while removing the can from the holster the safety is removed by the thumb and at that point the canister is ready to aim and fire.

I'm willing to carry a 45 or similar caliber but I think the shot would have to be more accurate than pepper spray to be effective (a wounded bear is a pissed off bear and they are hard to kill without a precise shot) so I concluded that pound for pound, bear spray is a better bet.

And, pepper spray is certainly less lethal and might serve to counteract the "fed bear is a dead bear" scenario, at least as it pertains to human contact. On the other hand, IMO a trouble bear should be put down ... as perhaps should people who feed them ... yikes!

Pepper Spray is nasty... we had to use it on each other during training. Basically the second half of the day was a wash. All the trainees went back to the lodge and showered and then proceeded to take heavy doses of "painkillers" until the wee hours... I suggest single malt scotch, neat:D... or perhaps with a piece of glacier ice, in the off-hand chance you are close to a glacier or an iceberg:p.

I have done a fair bit of research into bears(for work) and I concur that this one seems overly aggressive, considering the fact that he followed the hikers down the trail. Of course, if it was an old, weak bear, perhaps he/she didn't want to give up what seemed to be a toothless, claw-less meal. Definite candidate for destruction...(or made into steaks... yum).

However, if any of you are interested in an intriguing book about black bears, pick up a copy of Walking with Bears by Terry DeBruyn, PhD. (I love his last name... "of Bruin"). Black bears are very different evolutionarily than Grizzlies or Browns. Basically he conditioned a few females to accept him enough that he could walk into them on any given day (radio collar) and follow her around with her cubs to observe daily activity. One quick story from the book and then I will shut up. He once observed a female chase her cubs up a tree and hide under a bush. He couldn't figure out what was going on, and was getting bored with the bear when another human wandered by: a gentleman who promptly called out to another hiker, a woman, who followed the first hiker into the scene shortly afterward. These two hikers remained completely oblivious of both the author and the bear he was following, despite the fact they passed by very close (I can't remember the distance, but it was close). Anyway, after the hikers passed and continued on their way, the bear got up, called her cubs down and went about her business.

Not all bears are bad.... some are actually pretty cool.

Side note... Black bear charges are often bluffs.

Side side note... as predators move back closer to humans we need to relearn about removing and securing attractants in rural neighborhoods. This means bird feeders, compost bins, gardens, etc.

Last edited: