parking in Mad Tom Notch, Peru, VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torn&frayed

Reaction score
Is there a parking lot in the notch? How about for an overnighter? Any issues with vandalism?
We say Thankya,
Jim

According to http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=7 &sectionID=49 there's a large parking lot with room for 8-10 vehicles. Since this information is from 2006 hopefully someone can chime in with more recent beta on the driveability of the road.

The AT crosses USFS 21, aka Mad Tom Notch Road, back a long gravel road with lots of ruts and rocks, but still passable in a non-four wheel drive vehicle. Access Mad Tom Notch Road via the town of Peru located on VT Rt 11. Take North Road north out of Peru. In about 1 mile North Road splits off to the left at an acute angle, maybe 30 degrees. It is easy to miss this because that appears to be a side road and not a continuation of North Road. In about ½ mile you reach Mad Tom Notch Road. Take a left and travel up the continually degrading road. The trail crosses at the top where there is a large parking lot.

We were there two years ago. I think 8 - 10 might be a little generous, but there was parking for several cars right where the LT crosses.

The road was in rough shape then, but it's probably fine when it's been graded. If the the road is too impassable for you, there's a snowmobile parking lot further down before the road got really rugged that would probably work for you too.

I don't know of any vandalism issues. It's a pretty sparsely populated area and that road isn't really on the way to much. There are a lot of campsites along Griffith Lake so I assume people stay there without any issues.

I've been thinking of heading out that way again in the near future. If you go first, any info on the state of the road would be appreciated.

Last edited:
There is a lot at the end of the branch road leading to Griffith Lake that has had troubles with porcupines chewing on brake lines for the salt