Car break ins on Zealand Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You cant do much with the high schoolers, but the pros dont want traceable goods in their possesion. Engraving your drivers license number in large letters on the solid goods and writing your name with permanent marker on soft goods will discourage pros from taking it and make it far easier to trace.

Way back when, I magic-markered my SSN on any gear of value. Tells you how long ago that was, in the pre-identity theft days. (I'm a whole lot more worried about identity than gear theft btw.) Also tells you how long trailhead parking lot theft has gone on. It's not a new thing. And it happens all over New England and NY trailheads. Only car break I ever had was in VT, although there's been some shelter theft (e.g., my fuel bottle) in the ADKs. Agree with Peakbagger--put something indelible on gear that discourages the pros and doesn't compromise your identity security. And the SIMPLEST rule is never to leave anything of value in your car. Amazing how many people still do. If you ever called out a locksmith to get into your car legally, you know how useless the locks are.

Are we "allowed" under the law to beat somebody we catch redhanded into submission? Like, say by whipping the living S#!* out of them with a hiking pole? :D :eek: **

Or will we likely catch an assault charge? :confused:

** Yea yea yea... I get it. "You don't wanna put yourself at risk." blah blah blah. But if I come out of the woods to somebody in my brand new Subaru with a window busted out I'm likely to fly off the deep end. :D:D

In an ideal world, police would look the other way, but unfortunately as much as I think the police (i don't want to speak for them, but know a few and pretty sure privately they share this opinion) would love to look the other way if you tuned the perp to a bloody pulp (which I fully support BTW - pain is a deterrent).

unfortunatetly, there is a trend to give the scumbags more rights than victims these days... and the cop that wants to look the other way can't b/c his/hers hands are tied by the do-gooders. I bet the first report of the offender getting caught and getting their ass kicked inside and out would make others think twice..but, now...they might get arrested, make bail and do it again...no consequence...

so, I will continue like I always do...the stats say the risk is low, so I hope that when I return, the car is still ok...it always has been, but the risk is always there...and I can't do a thing about it.

Last edited:
unfortunatetly, there is a trend to give the scumbags more rights than victims these days... and the cop that wants to look the other way can't b/c his/hers hands are tied by the do-gooders. I bet the first report of the offender getting caught and getting their ass kicked inside and out would make others think twice..but, now...they might get arrested, make bail and do it again...no consequence...
Well, a possible solution -- and I'm not necessarily advocating this -- is backfilling your car with a deadly gas such as chlorine or even sarin. That way if the criminal busts your windows they get a bit 'o the old poison in their lungs. Stop 'em dead in their tracks. Of course, this is probably illegal but maybe when the cops go to investigate they'll assume the thief died of natural causes or perhaps just a naturally occurring foul odor from your car... no evidence, no crime, right?

EDIT: Just realized -- if you fill your car with chlorine gas or sarin, good chance it kills you, the owner, too. Another option would be to fill your car with a harmless green gas (chlorine gas is green) and put a sign saying, "Caution, car filled with Chlorine Gas -- Very Deadly). That might deter at least literate criminals from busting your windows. And if they do break your windows a simple solution would be to fill your car with sarin gas which would quickly eliminate that threat as well.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Well, a possible solution -- and I'm not necessarily advocating this -- is backfilling your car with a deadly gas such as chlorine or even sarin. That way if the criminal busts your windows they get a bit 'o the old poison in their lungs. Stop 'em dead in their tracks. Of course, this is probably illegal but maybe when the cops go to investigate they'll assume the thief died of natural causes or perhaps just a naturally occurring foul odor from your car... no evidence, no crime, right?

-Dr. Wu

or rig up a system where ebola gets squirted in say - an eye.. and then come out the woods laughing saying your gonna die a brutal death you scumbag and then toss them into a pre-made mound of fire ants and watch them in even more agony. I might even add a woodchipper in there somewhere - or even better tie them to a tree in covered in raw steaks and laugh as the animals slowly eat them alive...

Last edited:
or rig up a system where ebola gets squirted in say - an eye.. and then come out the woods laughing saying your gonna die a brutal death you scumbag and then toss them into a pre-made mound of fire ants and watch them in even more agony. I might even add a woodchipper in there somewhere - or even better tie them to a tree in covered in raw steaks and laugh as the animals slowly eat them alive...
Too much work. And who hauls a wood chipper around with them?

There is a less deadly and more legal deterrent that nobody has mentioned yet. Throw a bunch of mackerels (or any fish parts really) in plain view onto all the seats in your car and leave the windows cracked open enough that flies can get in. It's legal -- as far as I know -- and probably 100% effective at keeping would-be criminalia from breaking into your car and stealing your stuff.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Too much work. And who hauls a wood chipper around with them?

There is a less deadly and more legal deterrent that nobody has mentioned yet. Throw a bunch of mackerels (or any fish parts really) in plain view onto all the seats in your car and leave the windows cracked open enough that flies can get in. It's legal -- as far as I know -- and probably 100% effective at keeping would-be criminalia from breaking into your car and stealing your stuff.

-Dr. Wu

Excellent idea, doc! The odor would do nothing to deter thieves, but that hungry pack of bears devouring your car definitely would. The bears will especially appreciate the open-window claw hold, although they know how to get their claws up under the gaskets on closed windows too and pull the whole window out.

Excellent idea, doc! The odor would do nothing to deter thieves, but that hungry pack of bears devouring your car definitely would. The bears will especially appreciate the open-window claw hold, although they know how to get their claws up under the gaskets on closed windows too and pull the whole window out.
Back to the drawing board on that one. Thankfully I didn't try it -- bad, unintended consequences.

What do bears think about chlorine gas?

-Dr. Wu

I leave a used paper bulls-eye target with a dozen or so bullet holes thru it in plain sight on the drivers seat of my truck. That would definately give me pause, were I a crook.

bob

Nab them and tie them down and strip them barefoot and place salt on their feet. Send out goats who will lick them and cause the culprit to die of laughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.