Fourth of July fireworks displays hike ideas?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wisher

Reaction score
I'm sure this is hardly an original idea, but I thought a late afternoon hike out to a viewpoint with a nice vantage on a good evening fireworks display would be fun.

Would anyone happen to know of such a hike in nh, or even where some of the best displays are? It'd have to be something where descent at night with a headlamp wouldn't be problematic; nothing too terribly strenuous.

Here are a couple of displays from here :

Lincoln/Woodstock July 4th Celebration
When? July 4, 2010
Where? Lincoln and Woodstock, NH

Let Freedom Ring!
When? July 2 - 5, 2010
Where? Bretton Woods, NH

Annual Fireworks Display over Meredith Bay
and Center Harbor Bay
When? July 4, 2010
Where? Meredith and Center Harbor Bay, NH

Independence Day Celebration
When? July 4, 2010;12 - 9:30pm
Where? Packard Field Waterville Valley, NH

4th of July Parade & Celebration
When? July 4, 2010; 4 - 10pm
Where? Downtown by City Hall, Laconia, NH

Bretton Woods is a bit far north, but maybe there's something near enough to the Lincoln display - would Mt. Liberty or Flume maybe have a good view of that one? The Osseo down from there wouldn't be bad at all really.

After watching Hancock NH's display from South Pack on Friday, I would like to do the same for Peterborough's on Monday, but I promised my wife that I would go with her. Peterborough usually puts on a nice show. I jogged down the auto road(gated) in 10 minutes after Friday's show was over, talk about easy!

Gorham NH has a fireworks show that can be viewed from the ledges above the lead mine on the Mahoosuc trail. The view point is less than an hour if you start at the Hogan Road trailhead.

I think I'm going to go climb up Osceola; it's reasonably close to here, never been there before, and the hike sounds like an easy enough walk there and back. I imagine it should have a good view of the valley and festivities. Still not 100% that I'll go out yet today - all the traffic is a nuisance. Definitely headed out to Pack Monadnock tomorrow.

Here's a much more comprehensive list of events .

Last edited:
The 'cavones' on the SE CT shore seem to be happy with setting off a long series of 4th fireworks, although it's not clear that they are in control.

The Peterborough show was very nice, but quite short(15-20 minutes). I was disapointed. Hope it wasn't too disapointing from S. Pack!

It was nice; I'd actually never climbed it before, and enjoyed the short walk up the Wapack trail. I watched the sun set from the fire tower; it's a shame it was so hazy but otherwise the view was great. Definitely a much better temperature than down below.

Just before dusk I was joined by a couple, and a friendly and talkative older man. The view of the show from the tower ended up being obstructed by a large tree in just exactly the wrong spot, so the group I ended up with quickly went to the picnic table by the ledges, where another group was already watching. It had a nearly unobstructed view of the show. Really neat spot to watch fireworks from; definitely something I'd like to do again next year, maybe with a bit more forethought. Thanks for the suggestion!

Know it is a bit late but my wife, friends and i hiked Monadnock a few years back to see fireworks. Hiked up to watch the sunset, make cheese fondue and saw ones from Rindge, Dublin and about 40 other locations in NH, MA and VT.

Went back up to watch the Jaffery fireworks but when we got to the summit it was in the clouds. Still a fun hike.