Old pictures - Can you identify locations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
I have been working through some old family pictures from the 50's/60's.

Here are a few more. Can you identify these locations?

nh4 looks like the entrance to Wildcat Ski area on RT 16. I believe I can make out "Wildcat" on the sign at right.

nh5 I think is taken from just below Wildcat D looking NW. I think I see the auto road on Mt. Washington in the foreground.

nh7 looking over the Great Gulf from Mt Washington?

-vegematic

NH6 looks like Winnipesaukee from the Gilford area, maybe the yacht club.

Edit:
The yacht club was built in 1985, so I'll go with the old Gilford Marina.

The Ossipee Mountains and the White Mountains are visible in the background and it doesn't look like Alton Bay.

Last edited:
nh4 - Wildcat base
nh5 - just below Wildcat D summit
nh7 - Northern Presis from Washington showing the old Air Force dormitory (1950-1967)
nh8 - Cranmore Skimobiles

Are these from slides and not prints? Is it possible that NH7 is reversed? Something seems weird about it to me, but I don't really know the view that well to begin with.

Are these from slides and not prints? Is it possible that NH7 is reversed? Something seems weird about it to me, but I don't really know the view that well to begin with.

Yes, these are from slides, not prints. I can't confirm or deny that some of the shots are reversed as I don't know. I am impressed how easily some of you know these locations, as I don't.

The comment about the Air Force barracks in NH7 is very interesting. Does anyone have any history on that?

Ah, I wondered about the building in the Northern Pres shot. I never knew about that dormitory either.
-vegematic

Nh6 -- the mountains just to the left of the central marina channel appear to me to be Whiteface and Passaconaway. I have seen them in a very similar orientation from a dock on the north shore of Moultonborough Neck.

How about the view north from this marina near Laconia?

Nh6 -- the mountains just to the left of the central marina channel appear to me to be Whiteface and Passaconaway. I have seen them in a very similar orientation from a dock on the north shore of Moultonborough Neck.

How about the view north from this marina near Laconia?

Gee, that does look like Whiteface and Passaconaway, in which case that marina in Laconia, or maybe someplace in Gilford, would seem to fit the bill, from looking at the map.

Never even knew that existed. Very cool picture! Any more info on that one?

-Dr. Wu

Here are a couple of links that provide some additional information about the Air Force facility on Mt. Washington.

Scroll down for some pictures about the aptly-named "Project Jack Frost".
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/county/stlouis/williams/mc_years.htm

Older readers will remember "Life Magazine". This issue is from 1953. Check out the Mt. Washington apparel that the Air Force personnel wore.
http://books.google.com/books?id=GUIEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq=mt+washington+nh+usaf&source=bl&ots=Nkc3OkNkZ1&sig=8u_tb8_1c4Pbs0VRdp-rsZfei0Q&hl=en&ei=E6QzTMSsCoH88Ab2rszICw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Kurch

Ah, I wondered about the building in the Northern Pres shot. I never knew about that dormitory either.
Another part of the story is that the Gulfside Trail used to actually circle the Gulf in that area to the auto road - I have my mother's trip report from that era

The trail was rerouted when the AF facility was built, and never moved back after it was torn down

The Quartermaster Corps was based out of Camp Dodge during their testing, might explain a few thing about the set up of the place.

Cranmore

Cranmore is the easiest for me to identify, as well as the entrance to Wildcat. I have vivid memories of riding that skimobile, and losing one ski along the way. I had to ski down to it on one ski. Thanks for the memories, Kurch.

Air Force

Interesting to note that technology tested at that facility is still used on aircraft today. The system of inflating a rubber bladder on the leading edge of a planes wings to remove ice build up is still used on jets all over the world. Many icing problems early jet pilots faced were researched there on MW.
pic.php

I agree that the mountains in question in #6 look like Passaconaway and Whiteface.

KDT

Last edited: