First 4' ker: Mount Osceola for Conor, Tucker and Taylor

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
My family and I spent a nice 4th of July weekend up in the Woodstock area with Darlene and her 2 grandsons. The kids range from 4 (Tucker) to 8 (Taylor) and my son Conor is 5.

We arrived Friday up at the campground and I was pleasantly surprised to see Stev-O there waiting on Darls site – he had some plans for Sat, but decided to stop by and say hello and even brought some Lightening McQueen Headlamps for the kids – which they all loved. I was dying to hear how his recent trip out west went with his climb up Middle Teton so it was nice to hear that was a success and a fun time.

The plan was to take Conor on the Conway Scenic Railroad on Saturday and hike Mount Osceola with Darlene, Tucker and Taylor on Sunday.

The campground has a nice river flowing through it which provided the kids and the adults some nice refreshing cooling wading/swimming.

This was a big milestone for Conor (and Tucker and Taylor) as it would be their first 4000 footer. I started Conor hiking slowly on easy stuff when he was a few months old. First on my back, and then small lakeside and forest hikes and that led to the Blue Hills to Wachusett, Lonesome lake, Lowes Bald Spot, Monadnock, etc. I felt he was ready for a longer day on an easy 4’ker, so we decided Osceola would be a good choice due to the views up high and “probably doable” hike for the kids.

We got started about 9am or so and made our way up – I (and Darl) had never been up Osceola from Tripoli road, so this was new to all of us. The hike went great, the kids had tons of fun, stopped to play on the rocks, look at the different type of trees, etc... Darl went on a bit ahead with her kids and deb. Conor and I hiked most of the way up just the 2 of us which was great to spend some time with him as I leave the house for work at 6am and usually don’t get home until about 7pm during the week, so time during the week is very limited with the little guy, so we talked, joked, and I tried to educate him a bit on the mountains, the trail, the rocks, the trees, and always making sure he was having a fun time. I let him lead the way on the trail and he would stop at the drainages and pick the right way to go.

We got to the summit just a little after noon and were treated with great views and I did my best to point out the different mountains/features to the gang like Arrow slide on Hancock and the North Tri-Slide, etc.. I took the kids to check out a nice viewpoint that Hamtero had told me about the day before to check out. It was a nice one!

We had our lunch – congratulated the little guys and then made our way down. The way down was a bit tougher for the little guys as they were a bit tired. They all took a few spills, but overall, they did great and we took a few rests on the way down and strolled back into to the lot around 4pm or so.

I was so proud of the little guys and especially Conor (well he is my son!) as it is fun to watch him progress from the 2 year old that hiked around the Foxboro pond to the 5 year old that climbed his first 4000 footer. The best part is he wants to do more, so while he still enjoys it, we’ll keep doing it.

It’s amazing on hikes like this – Deb, Darl and I were actually quite tired as well. I think its more the mental thing over the physical aspect on hikes like this. You are on 100% of the time watching and making sure the kids are safe at all times. On this day, it was so important to make to watch them and make sure they were drinking enough and staying hydrated. Different than just going yourself – and in many ways, more challenging.

We headed back to the site to hit the river, cook some food, had a few adults bevs. The kids ate some marshmallows, and lit off some sparklers that Stev-o had brought for them

Very rewarding trip for the adults on this one!

I think Darl has some pix she can post. My wife has mine. I will post later on.

Last edited:
Giggy I'm psyched for you! My 4-year old daughter has her first "hike" next week (Mt. Willard I think).

Great to get that bug going early! Well done.

A huge congratulations to all of you! Way to go, Conor, Tucker and Taylor (and grown-ups)! I read your report grinning from ear to ear.

You mentioned something that rings true with me -- hiking with your young child is rewarding beyond measure, but also mentally taxing. I am always more tired when I finish a hike with Alex/Sage than I am when I complete one on my own. So much goes into making sure they're okay every step of the way, you don't even realize how much effort goes into it until you're back at the car and worn out.

I'm glad you and Conor had such a good, bonding experience. I'm certain Conor will remember this experience for the rest of his life. Kudos to you, Dad.

I hope you all do many more 4Ks. If you ever want kid company, please let us know. Both my girls would love to hike with Conor again (and I'm sure they would enjoy hiking with Tucker and Taylor too).

Way to go Conor! Love to read the stories of little hikers - makes me wish I didn't have such a summer-oriented profession so that I could have some free time to do hikes like these with my kids.

Thanks Guy for writing up the report!

My Grandson's had a blast camping, hiking and hanging out all weekend with Guy, Deb and Conor. :D Guy taught Taylor to skip rocks which was a huge hit!

Special Thanks to Steve-o for supplying headlamps, sparklers and bottle rockets!!! :D

I wasn't so sure about Tucker my 4 year old hiking a 4000 footer, but bribery won! I promised ice cream to all that managed to hike the whole mountain without a carry! I did have a couple "lifts", we called them for Tucker over a few mud and steep rock sections...But he managed to hike the whole Mountain just as the other two did! Taylor led for lots of the way and would wait for us to catch up, he is definitly ready to do some more hiking with Gram!!

Tucker thinks he wants to hike smaller hikes for now....we'll see how he feels now! His little legs did a lot of climbing! He even managed to survive a fall off the trail without injury...and laughed about it!

We have hiked with the boys last summer and it's great how it always works out, we hike a part for some of it then gather before the summit and end to let them all finish together but get to spend quality time with the kids...:D

The summit shot should always be fun!

Very Proud Gram!!
I can't describe how it feels to be sharing one of my passions with my Grandson's and seeing them enjoy it with me, I realize not many Grandparents get this opportunity!!!! :D

Proud Dad & Mom too!

Link to more of the pics...
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/MtOsceola1st4000FtHike?feat=directlink

I thinned them down to a few. We also did a train ride, but rode the Lincoln Hobo Train as Guy took Conor to N Conway for his train ride.

The boys are already asking when we are doing it all again!! ;)

Gig, this is awesome! I really like how you are progressing Conor into this awesome lifestyle that we all enjoy so much. Way to go and congrats to all the kiddos!!

woo hoo for more kids out in the mountains!!! Let us know if you'd like company on any other adventures. (I've got a 6 and almost 10 year old who like to hike). Great trip report!

Congratulations boys on a successful mountain climb! Osceola is not so easy and it is a pretty long hike. When you are doing this it is starting to be mountaineering and much more fun and difficult than walking around ponds, but that's good too!;)

Kudos Guy, Darlene & Uncle Stev-o for getting the boys out for all of it. The hiking is good company for the camping especially with marshmallows and sparklers on a holiday weekend! Very nice TR Gig, excellent pics Darlene and Welcome home Stev-o!

I remember my dad watching my every step the first few hikes I took when I was younger...definitely the same thing! ANd my first 4k was Osceola as well, right up the same side.

Great report, I'll always love the view from that mtn..its one of my favorites.

Awesome guys and gals, such a cool trip report and pictures.. You had a lot better views from Osceola than I had and sounds like all had a good time...

:p

Jay

Thanks for the post! I've got a 4 & 2 year old I've debated trying something like this with the older guy at least-- maybe next summer! Nice to hear about someone else's experience with the young kids hiking!

Thanks for the post! I've got a 4 & 2 year old I've debated trying something like this with the older guy at least-- maybe next summer! Nice to hear about someone else's experience with the young kids hiking!

As like Guy, I've been taking the boys on smaller hikes before attempting a 4000 footer. Mt Watatic, and last year Welch & Dickey which all three boys did awesome. The 4 year old already wants to hike again, but am trying very hard not to do too much, making sure he enjoys it. i'm thinking in the Fall I'll take him on another 4000 footer when the temps are cooler...:D

Those boys will remember that day for a long time :cool:

I was teaching my granddaughter the finer points of body surfing that day.

Hope Stev-o showed them the subtle differences between operating a sparkler from a bottle rocket :D